NGD: McTang multiscale 8 string

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Got this from aliexpress, talked to the Luther for a few months before finally getting it.
Didn't have time to play with it until about a year later. It's still new to me. ^^

Specs:
American swamp ash body, burl top

Roasted maple neck with bubinga stripes
Richlite fretboard

25.5 - 27 inch scale

Luminous dot inlays

Jumbo SS frets with hand rounded fret ends

2 passive humbuckers(guy said these are BKP copies made by a local shop, not sure which model, i only know they're hot and use alnico magnets)

After about 2 months of playing, my impressions are:

It's build quite nicely. Solid, everything fits tight. The finish is flawless and a pleasure to look at.

The neck is thin and flat. The cutaway never gets in the way.

The fretboard is lovely, smooth, dark and uniform with nice ebonyesque grains.

Fret ends are well rounded and don't irritate my fretting hand at all.

The setup was not perfect, understandable given it was shipped from China.

A friend and I spent an afternoon setting it up and now it plays amazingly. No buzzes anywhere, low enough action for my liking.
Sustain is pretty good across the board.

The pickups are great. They are super high output when turned up. I asked for a single push pull volume pot with coil split and it cleans up gorgeously. Sounds quite sweet through a free Dumble sim i got online.

Those are the pros.

The cons:
The tuners are not easy to adjust. I have to use a pick to turn them at tension.

A grounding wire fell out possibly during shipping, not sure how or when but the guitar isn't properly grounded. I have to solder a wire myself. Not ideal but an easy fix.

The bridge is a bit of a pain to do intonation adjustment on. I don't think it's unique to this brand? You have to take off the string, loosen the screw holding the bridge piece, move it, tighten it, put on the string, tune it, test the intonation, then do the whole thing again if it's still off. Silver lining is once you do this, it should be good forever(or until you decide to switch string gauge).

I wanted a multiscale 8 with decent pickups that can do both the chugs and nice cleans out of the box, and under $1k, and this was the only option I could find. I talked to 1 or 2 other people on fb who bought from this store as well as asking th luthier all kinds of questions about how he builds them, how he packs them, the materials and parts, how much experience he has, etc before buying. It was admittedly a little bit of a gamble given aliexpress is known for cheap stuff, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Have a good one!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1718286991673.jpg
    FB_IMG_1718286991673.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 144
  • FB_IMG_1718286998225.jpg
    FB_IMG_1718286998225.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 139

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome and congrats. I feel like setup and possible fretwork are simply par for the course when you go a route like this (not judging at all). Looks great.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems Oni "inspired"

Now I know what a headless Oni would look like. *Paging Dan*

For real though, it's a very good looking guitar. Definitely seems inspired by the Essi's tulip profile. It's one of those things where it is different enough that I don't personally have a problem with it but someone else might, and it's definitely a good thing to be aware of where the inspiration came from. Either that, or it's a really weird coincidence that they are so similar.

Happy NGD! :)

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Nice! It's cool to finally see a review for one of these. As with most of these headless guitars that aren't using "name brand" hardware, I'm you can lube the threads near the washers to ease the stress on them and make the mechanism more responsive.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
MC Tang in the house!

HNGD. Looks cool.

Cheers. Which one(s) have you got if you don't mind me asking?

Now I know what a headless Oni would look like. *Paging Dan*

For real though, it's a very good looking guitar. Definitely seems inspired by the Essi's tulip profile. It's one of those things where it is different enough that I don't personally have a problem with it but someone else might, and it's definitely a good thing to be aware of where the inspiration came from. Either that, or it's a really weird coincidence that they are so similar.

Happy NGD! :)

I didn't know about the Essi, now I do! Thanks for that. It definitely seems to have inspired the McTang. Looking at the price tags on those, I doubt they have anything to worry about competition-wise as the McTang cost a fraction of the price. XD
I like the proportion of the headless a bit better, but they're different designs, each has its own merit. :)

Nice! It's cool to finally see a review for one of these. As with most of these headless guitars that aren't using "name brand" hardware, I'm you can lube the threads near the washers to ease the stress on them and make the mechanism more responsive.
Thanks, anything specific in terms of lube? I live in eastern europe and it's sometimes surprisingly tricky to find stuff that most north american residents can just pop into a hardware store and grab.

Also in case anyone cares, I was wrong about the guitar having bad grounding. For the first time over the weekend I plugged it into a real amp and it sounds just fine. I guess the grounding issue is with my pc or audio interface. If anyone has dealt with that before and can offer me some tips, I'd much appreciated.

I have the setup as follows: guitar > Komplete Audio 1 interface > mac mini
It buzzes super loud until I touch the bridge or anything else metal, then it becomes whisper quiet.

There is a separate kind of RF sounding noise which is only present when I turn the volume knob to max, but I think that's just the pickups being extremely hot? Because it's hot enough to seriously distort the direct monitor output from the interface when turned up, which is suppose to represent completely undistorted signal, right?

I came across a reddit thread where someone mentioned using foil to wrap up the pickups to prevent picking up noise from the environment. Anyone ever try that?

Attachments

• 1718648934115.png
    1718648934115.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 21

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Thanks, anything specific in terms of lube? I live in eastern europe and it's sometimes surprisingly tricky to find stuff that most north american residents can just pop into a hardware store and grab.

I usually recommend TriFlow as it has a lower viscosity and won't gunk up the hardware. Anything you can find that's used for a similar purpose should do just fine :yesway:

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I'm not sure. How do you tell?
And no I haven't. Didn't have a reason to.
Why do you ask? Does that help with identifying the wood used?
It's Ali Express and they lie about specs and materials.

Just wondering. Take the neck off and sand a bit of the side of the neck, if its white underneath it is just stained...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Was the blueprint attachment accidental?

You're certainly braver than I to risk an AliExpress guitar, but if all it needs is some wiring and setup adjustments for it to be what you want, then that's not a bad deal.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Was the blueprint attachment accidental?

You're certainly braver than I to risk an AliExpress guitar, but if all it needs is some wiring and setup adjustments for it to be what you want, then that's not a bad deal.
Oh lol, how'd that get there?
It's funny you recognized it. Do you do some game dev by any chance?

Yeah of course I realized it was a risk, but I think I did the best to improve my odds.
I talked to the luthier for probably a few weeks before pulling the trigger. I wanted to know everything about his craft, his business, his attitude, and I wanted to get a feel for the guy overall. In the end I felt like he was genuine enough and humble enough that he wasn't trying to sell me something and we ended up just being two guitar enjoyers talking about guitar stuff. I think we even got into some of his family issues and struggles on occasion. XD

So yeah, it's not like a $4000 full custom made by a master luthier, but it is exceedingly good for the money, and actually way more guitar than a hobbyist like me would ever need. ^^

The wiring is actually fine, as it turned out. Since I only get noise on my PC+interface and not a physical amp, I'm trying to solve the issue of potentially bad wiring setup in my apartment. After a brief googling it appears this is a way more tedious problem than just bad wiring in a guitar. Some people (jokingly) suggest you should just move to another place to get rid of the issue.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It's funny you recognized it. Do you do some game dev by any chance?
I used to work for an "external dev partner" studio, and currently work on audio middleware.

I'm trying to solve the issue of potentially bad wiring setup in my apartment
It could be a combination of both - if something is funky in the guitar's wiring, and you don't notice it with other guitars, maybe something in this one is more sensitive to the environment for some reason.

I fight with the same thing - my general desk area, conveniently where I would do most recording, generates a ton of electrical noise and I never figured out where it's coming from. Doesn't seem to matter which guitar, or where in the room I stand, or which gear I'm using, and I don't think it's a ground loop or something since it doesn't seem to matter what else, if anything is plugged in, or where, etc. It's just a noisy room.