NGD - Music Man Kaizen 6

• Thread starter Vede
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vede

Reaction score
I don't do NGDs much anymore, but I thought the board might appreciate this one, seeing as how relatively rare Kaizen NGDs continue to be. People generally seem to view them as cool but kind of odd and too expensive for what they are. I happen to love them, but I think those are all perfectly fair assessments. I picked this one up new on Reverb for 11% off the retail price.

Some thoughts about the Kaizen 6:

- Surprisingly thin, light, and ergonomic
- Extremely resonant, feels great under the fingers and against your body
- Pickups sound very good, high output but super clear (full-sized bridge humbucker is noticeably hotter/louder than the mini-humbucker neck)
- I might be mistaken because I haven't actually measured them, but the neck feels a bit flatter and wider than my Majesty 6
- The "Infinity Radius" is a bit of a misnomer: in a nutshell, the fretboard wood is much thicker on the treble side than on the bass side of the neck, so instead of looking down when playing and only seeing the fretboard side dots, you can now more easily see the fretboard itself, since it swoops out at a slight angle to meet your downward gaze. It's definitely cool but I'd say it's also fairly subtle, makes it a little bit easier to see what your fingers are doing. And in terms of the ACTUAL fretboard radius - the measurement you're going to care about when trying to setup the guitar - it's a standard 20", tilted at an angle to accommodate the unique fretboard geometry.
- The pickups and string saddles are also angled to accommodate the Infinity Radius, meaning that the pickups are mounted so that they're screwed down lower into the body on the bass side and higher up on the treble side.
- Important to note: none of this novel geometric stuff actually feels much different than a normal fanned-fret neck when you're actually playing, which is great.
- The paint work is fantastic; a lot of the photos I've seen don't do the Kryptonite color justice. it's a very bright, neon green with a slight yellow color shift, depending on how the light catches the metallic flake.
- Showing the guitar to friends, Kaizen aesthetics are definitely polarizing, you either love it or you hate it. But it's also an acquired taste for some people who initially dislike it and then eventually coming around to loving it, similar to how a lot of folks reacted to the Majesty when it first came out.

Here are some photos:

fto09obpns9navppzn0q.jpgsgsn7dsmcphmf5rn1llz.jpgIMG_4212 (1).jpgIMG_4213.jpgIMG_4214.jpgIMG_4215.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the color! I'm actually surprised there haven't been more (or any?) of these posted here. Or I just missed it lol

Even the edge of the headstock is frickin great!

Vede

Reaction score
It almost looks like a Warrior that got its rear end too hot and it melted a little.

And the whole guitar is the control cavity!
Lol! I hadn’t noticed it but you’re totally right! The horns are very similar to a Warrior’s, just flipped so the larger horn is on top.

dhgrind

Reaction score
I’d love to play one. Don’t think I’d buy one tho. That paint is killer

Vede

Reaction score
Yeah, why is that? There's not like a piezo system or anything in it right?
Nope, no piezo. Haven’t removed the back plate to see what’s going on under there. Regardless, the plate matches the body carve so you don’t feel it.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Omg someone actually bought one!!!

HNGD! These are super cool and I loved playing them.

I'm pretty sure the cavity cover is gigantic just because it combines the two cavities. Like a Parker Fly

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
the fretboard wood is much thicker on the treble side than on the bass side of the neck, so instead of looking down when playing and only seeing the fretboard side dots, you can now more easily see the fretboard itself, since it swoops out at a slight angle to meet your downward gaze
All other things aside, this sounds like a recipe for guaranteed tendinitis over the long run as it in effect forces you to flex your wrist more to compensate

77zark77

Reaction score
Those Kaizen are the most intriguing, interesting and exciting for me at the moment, but I can't afford to buy one (7 strings preferred)

Big congrats man, it's stunning :)

C-PIG

Reaction score
I bought one and returned it within a few days , very over priced for what I got I was actually surprised at how bad it was . I wanted to love it but mine was terrible . Hope you love yours I think they look great congrats !

Vede

Reaction score
I bought one and returned it within a few days , very over priced for what I got I was actually surprised at how bad it was . I wanted to love it but mine was terrible . Hope you love yours I think they look great congrats !
D'oh. That sucks. Always a bummer when you're excited about a new guitar and then it stinks and you have to return it. What were the issues with yours?

Vede

Reaction score
All other things aside, this sounds like a recipe for guaranteed tendinitis over the long run as it in effect forces you to flex your wrist more to compensate
I mean, sure, that could happen to some folks. At the same time, this design means your neck is having to bend and strain less when looking down at your hands, so it'll possibly prevent certain spinal issues. But I think the most likely scenario is that neither thing will happen to most people. It's a relatively small change that you'd probably struggle to feel in your own hands and wrists if you were blindfolded and someone handed you this guitar.

Last edited:

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Also curious what was wrong with yours, I played two at GC and while more modern than my tastes both were flawless build wise and sounded incredible.