[NGD] MY AGILE INTREPID PRO. LET ME SHOW U IT.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just arrived this morning...

The box is in good shape, so it's unlikely that there's any shipping damage.
IMG_1210.jpg

The unboxing vidstory:

Here it is next to my only other maple-fretboard guitar, my Ibanez 442R. You can see that proportionally, the Intrepid looks great, but it is "a size or two" larger than a normal guitar. The 442R is also perhaps a half size smaller than most as well, so the difference seems even more pronounced.
IMG_1226.jpg

The electronics cavity is very clean and tidy. The solder joints look good, and there's a good coat of conductive paint in there. Lots of room for additions, too! The 18v mod is first on my list. The cavity cover is also lined with aluminum shielding tape.
IMG_1220.jpg

This is a really nice detail i like on the body... the tummy cut extends all the way along the upper horn.
IMG_1223.jpg

Quick first impressions:

The instrument is quite impressively light and resonant. The strings all have a great "piano-like" chime to them, no doubt because of the extended scale length. Overall quality and workmanship appears to be very good, but there are a few minor flaws, which i'll get to shortly.

The neck profile is perfect. Not too thin, not too thick, nicely rounded without a pronounced "flat spot" in the middle. Fretwork appears to be good overall. I haven't even really run up and down the neck yet, but the action feels quite good, and there's only minimal buzzing in the lower register which can probably be dialed out.

The body is quite big, but it looks in perfect proportion to the scale length and neck width. The upper horn extends almost all the way to the 12th fret, so it hangs nicely on a strap. But it is a big body for sure, and looks a little goofy on a skinny guy like me. ;)

Now a few minor issues:

There are a few of these marks in places on the body. At first i was a little concerned because the most visible one is right over the control cavity, where the wood is quite thin. They look like cracks, but on closer inspection, i'm pretty sure these are just peculiar "fissures" in the wood grain. They don't appear to be actual cracks. [EDIT: Upon further inspection under good light, i believe these are surface scratches or cracks in the wood, under the finish. The finish is perfectly flat, but these marks catch the light in particular directions.]
IMG_1212.jpg

The bridge is pretty scraped up under the saddles. Intonation was obviously set with the strings on and at full tension. They could have at least positioned the saddles almost into position before tweaking the final intonation. I'm not too thrilled with these long scrapes right through the finish on the bridge. But it's just cosmetic.
IMG_1215.jpg

This is an odd white mark right near the body wing joins the neck, just behind the bridge. I'm not sure if this is a wood flaw or maybe some glue or filler that made it onto the face of the guitar.
IMG_1217.jpg

Three tiny little dents on the back of the neck, right behind the 9th fret.
IMG_1218.jpg

This strange little bump on the upper horn near the strap button appears to be a little knot in the mahogany that was difficult to sand and/or finish.
IMG_1221.jpg

A small ding on the lower rear edge near the control cavity.
IMG_1222.jpg

Overall, nothing major... just some fairly minor cosmetic issues. I'm still very impressed with the features, hardware and build quality for what we're paying for these.

... more to come!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I did to. But yes Darren is a giant back of dicks for such a misleading thread title. :agreed:

ogisha007

Reaction score
Oh, no, now I'll have to refresh this topic every five minutes. :lol:

No thanked posts for you until you show some more pics. :p

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wanted to get SOMETHING up! (aside from my "dickbag" rep count) :lol:

The first post is now updated... the unboxing vidstory is uploading to YouTube as we speak.

noodleplugerine

Reaction score
It looks awesome.

Shame about the dents etc - I wouldn't care personally, its still far better than you would normally get for £400. I want one :(

How does it play then?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, the minor little dings and stuff i'm not really all that concerned about. But i wanted to make sure that a full and accurate account was taken when i unboxed it.

The guitar plays incredibly well. It's loud and clear (i haven't even plugged it in yet) and the neck is just... perfect. I'm having no trouble adapting to riffing and chording on the lower strings. I've left it in standard tuning for now, but i'm going to start experimenting with dropped tunings shortly. :)

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
The Creator gets his 8! Happy, I presume? :D

All of the little cosmetic flaws remind me of my custom Septor. It pisses you off at first... Then you take the instrument and play it and think "wow, all of this for that price?" and then, you just get over it. I would not for a 2k$ guitar, but these are not.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Exactly. None of it is deal-breaker stuff. I can't WAIT to get my Standard!

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
:drool: love the look of these. Cant wait to see the other models.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh, and the two mismatched walnut strips was a bit of an odd thing as well. The bass-side one fades from dark brown to medium-brown on the front and the back. On the front, it's lightest right over the body. On the back, it's lightest along the neck. If it'd been flipped over, the front of the body would look symmetrical. It just looks a little weird/unique the way it is now.