NGD: Oni Essi 8 in bloody Red Gum and silver

• Thread starter Alberto7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Pictures first, long text later! (It's long, this one)

20240216_091438_compress71.jpg
20240216_091818_compress47.jpg
20240216_095454_compress83.jpg
20240216_091751_compress24.jpg
20240216_092316_compress36.jpg
20240216_091659_compress68.jpg
20240216_091838_compress62.jpg
20240216_092343_compress19.jpg
20240216_092141_compress0.jpg

Won't let me upload more pictures :( maybe I'll post more later on. It is so hard to photograph the curves on this thing!
I could talk about this guitar for literal days, but I'll try not to get TOO carried away. It'll be long though :lol: hence why pictures first!
I also *might* (maaaybe) be recording a small video of the guitar tomorrow morning when there's more light, just going over the specs and doing a few closeup shots. I find it hard to find details on these guitars, especially pictures or footage that shows off the contours and the overall fit and finish.

Build details and specs:
- Figured River Red Gum top and headstock overlay
- Argentium silver purfling on body, headstock, and fretboard
- Silky Oak (aka Australian Lacewood) body
- Queensland Maple neck with carbon fibre laminate
- Richlite fretboard, 406mm radius
- Split purfling inlay on 12th fret
- Stainless steel e-scale frets, 680mm - 740mm
- Black hardware with Red Gum appointments (pickup selector, and knobs inlaid with argentium silver)
- Gotoh tuners with Red Gum pegs
- 1 Tone pot and 1 Volume pot with Silky Oak/Red Gum knobs inlaid with argentium silver (lovely detail with the waveforms on the inlay)
- Freeway 10-way pickup selector with Red Gum knob
- Oni Essi humbucking pickups (43 awg wire)
- Badass Oni E-scale 8-string brass bridge with Graphtech saddles

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna get it out of the way because it's really the very first thing that deserves to be mentioned: Dan is about as professional and friendly a human being as I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. This dude seems to have a vision for how guitars should be sort of how Ken Parker did, and he keeps improving his designs constantly. He really cared to keep me informed and in the loop at all stages. I can't thank him enough for being so communicative and responsive the last couple of years. He really didn't have to entertain my probably dumb questions and my random anecdotes, but he chose to anyways. I was kept privy to all the little details on the changes he made on my guitar.

As for the guitar itself... well, it's immaculate and unbelievably good looking. I've been dreaming of one of Dan's guitars since about 2008-9, and I am SO happy to finally own one after having gone through the full process with him. It's my only custom (not counting my Carvin) and... honestly, the wait was grueling and the beginning of it all was kind of nerve-racking for me. I don't know that I would do it again for something that isn't at least as incredible this guitar and with someone as reliable and communicative as Dan proved to be.

It's great in photos, but much better in person. It's worth mentioning that I am still very much in a honeymoon phase, so make of all this what you will, but at the moment I feel like I've just peaked with electric guitars. I don't even want to know how many times Dan has iterated over this design to bring it to this level; it gives me anxiety. :lol: It is so comfortable and easy to play, even with the funny frets.

Other than a couple of aesthetic and functional queues, (maximum amount of sounds with a traditional or minimalist amount of knobs and switches) I pretty much told Dan to do what he thought was best. Aesthetically, I suppose this guitar would be a "sister" to the two other 6-string A-Types that Dan has built in the past with figured Red Gum tops and silver purfling and accents. After telling Dan what kind of look I was going for, he suggested a whole bunch of tops, among which was this Red Gum. After looking at it for a while, and really loving the silver purfling he had done on the A-Types, I requested he give the Essi the same treatment. Of course, the silver purfling is there for tone reasons, because more silver = more metal. I then got it in my head that it would be cool if it was all made out of local Australian woods for two reasons: 1) He had them readily available and would likely be cheaper/quicker to start and finish the build, and 2) they're woods that, while cheaper locally to him, I probably would never see on this side of the world and thus are more exotic/interesting to me. Super pretty stuff. That meant that we basically ended up with very similar (if not the same... I forget) woods and aesthetic to the sister A-Types but on an Essi 8 format.

The guitar is super well balanced, and both sits and hangs really comfortably. The contours on the body (and there are MANY) are extremely comfortable. Both the bridge and fretboard sit super low and flat on the body, so my forearm sits perfectly straight and my picking hand is unimpeded. It's a pretty light guitar, coming in at just over 7 pounds. It isn't as light as my strandberg 8 (which is just under 6 lbs), but the proportions and balance are such that it feels lighter than it is. It is also a very thin and petite body with a long neck, so I think there's an element of expectation there that plays with my head on how my brain thinks the guitar will feel vs how it actually does.

The neck is oh so glorious, I almost feel bad playing my strandberg after this, tbh... I am finding the e-scale actually serving its purpose. Even though the fan is larger than on my strandberg (1.5" fan on the strandy vs a ~2.36" on this one), I find it more intuitive to play. The thinner 5 strings do feel like parallel frets for the most part. The lowest string, granted, I have to think a bit more about since the fan becomes a LOT more prominent there, but it's really not a problem.
The neck also has a slight asymmetry that I hadn't realized was there, (I never requested a specific neck carve to Dan) but felt it after I got the guitar and it's great. It's a pretty flat neck profile overall that feels like it is on the thinner side, but it has a slightly more prominent shoulder on the treble side. As Dan explained it to me earlier today, the profile is basically the same as an egg's but sideways. That plus the oil finish on the neck makes it my most comfortable neck I have on any guitar.

Sound-wise, I am still very much learning this guitar. My first thought was that it was very loud acoustically, (jury's still out as to whether or not that means anything) but also very... mmm... I guess I am too illiterate to put it into accurate wording, but the word "crisp" comes to mind. That translates to the electronics as well. It's a bright sounding guitar and the pickups seem to emphasize that. The pickups sound pretty well balanced to my ears and seem to have kind a medium to medium-high output. My ears haven't yet picked up the actual "personality" or "soundprint" of these pickups; need to play them more, but so far so good!
It's very, very dynamic and responsive to whether I play it lightly or heavily. Dan put a pair of carbon fiber rods in the headstock between the tuner holes and the edge to increase rigidity and decrease dampening of vibrations. Neither of us knew if that would actually help, but we thought it wouldn't hurt and are both happy with how the guitar sounds and resonates, so we called it a win. :lol: I also finally have an 8 string guitar that does what I want it to do: sound like a guitar. The long scale length on the bass really helps with that. Compared to my strandberg, that 8th string sounds, again, C-R-I-S-P. Dan put an .080 there, and I think I may take it down to a .074. String tension with the 80 is satisfying, and I suspect a 74 will be great and will sound even better.

Now, about that 10-way switch... :lol: TONS of different sounds. Sure, some of them are pretty similar to one another and/or a little funky (3 coils in parallel? lol) but it's still fun to have them. It's wired like the diagram below, which I pulled off the some forum online. Kinda tricky to find wiring diagrams for this particular switch for an HH configuration as everyone seems to use this switch on SSS guitars. Changing pickups feels like I'm driving a JDM car down a winding mountain road, and ever since I made that association in my head... I love it even more. :lol: Dan was thoughtful enough to wire the side of the switch with the full humbucker sides (Side A in the diagram below) on the down position, so that it's easier to switch between full bridge humbucker and full neck humbucker. Probably a bit risky and/or confusing in a live setting, but I don't plan on taking this thing to a stage any time soon.
Oni_Essi-8_Freeway_Diagram.png

Anyways, I fucking LOVE this guitar. Dan needs to charge more money and people should give it to him so he can keep creating wonderful things. The only other guitar I have that I think comes anywhere near this in terms of "quality" (fit and finish, thoughtfulness of design, etc.) is my Ibanez PIA, and even that I am able to nitpick a looot more than this. Both feel like they were built with a purpose. Hard to overstate how happy I am with this guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
As soon as I logged out, I saw this and had to log back in to drool.

Congratulations! Very very tasty guitar, even the fretboard binding detail is so nice..

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Killer guitar dude - super happy for you! If you're going to do just one custom order, this is how to do it. Avoid all the scammers the rest of us inevitably give money to :D

Sometimes, especially if you hang out with TGP people, you hear guitars compared to pianos -- "piano like" etc. Sometimes even amps. But for guitars, my Oni was the only guitar that I ever thought some semblance of piano-like was an appropriate descriptor. I talked to Dan a bit about it. He has carbon reinforcement, but he's experimented a lot to perfect the balance between rigidity and resonance in the neck, and I think it's really remarkable. The only other way to explain how significantly different my Oni was from my other guitars would have been the scale -- 740mm is pretty crazy, and I could see how that could also be a huge source for the "piano like" response. So either the scale does this or Dan's a genius and his instruments should be at the top of everyone's list. Maybe a bit of both. He's also a nice guy and I wouldn't hesitate to throw money at him.

For me though, that was also the dealbreaker. 740mm... man, that was too rough for me. But basically the same as why I sold my Dingwall prima because that felt pretty much the same, and people seem to get on with those. Hmm.... time to do an Oni 27" order?

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! I also love that the pickups are back-mounted. Makes the front look a lot cleaner.

Here's a few extra pics that didn't fit before (will insert thumbnails as to not clog the thread up. Feel free to look at the attached files)

20240216_091645_compress64.jpg
20240216_091659_compress68.jpg20240216_091716_compress2.jpg
20240216_092446_compress22.jpg20240216_091935_compress30.jpg
20240216_091826_compress18.jpg

This is a bit closer to what it looks like with normal indoor lighting
20240216_004831_compress88.jpg

The freaking tank of a case
20240215_162514_compress66.jpg

And mandatory dog approval
20240215_174719_compress22.jpg

Attachments

• 20240216_092218_compress95.jpg
    20240216_092218_compress95.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Killer guitar dude - super happy for you! If you're going to do just one custom order, this is how to do it. Avoid all the scammers the rest of us inevitably give money to :D

Sometimes, especially if you hang out with TGP people, you hear guitars compared to pianos -- "piano like" etc. Sometimes even amps. But for guitars, my Oni was the only guitar that I ever thought some semblance of piano-like was an appropriate descriptor. I talked to Dan a bit about it. He has carbon reinforcement, but he's experimented a lot to perfect the balance between rigidity and resonance in the neck, and I think it's really remarkable. The only other way to explain how significantly different my Oni was from my other guitars would have been the scale -- 740mm is pretty crazy, and I could see how that could also be a huge source for the "piano like" response. So either the scale does this or Dan's a genius and his instruments should be at the top of everyone's list. Maybe a bit of both. He's also a nice guy and I wouldn't hesitate to throw money at him.

For me though, that was also the dealbreaker. 740mm... man, that was too rough for me. But basically the same as why I sold my Dingwall prima because that felt pretty much the same, and people seem to get on with those. Hmm.... time to do an Oni 27" order?
Yeah, I keep thinking that Dan reminds me of Ken Parker a little bit with his designs. Like everything is kinda built around similar principles of stiffness, resonance, balance (tonally and mass-wise), and just having an instrument that is easy to use, is stable, and reliable. I didn't get into the design of the neck too much, but stability and stiffness were the two things he kept mentioning. I love how he does his CF laminates too, it's really unique:
received_293014270058009.jpegIMG_20230721_090150.jpg
I don't think he landed at that method by accident. It's a friggin carbon tub, basically. Kinda like how Parker Flys have that CF wrap around the neck and that makes them very stable, I guess he decided tk put it inside? Haven't confirmed that with him though.
Getting inside of Dan's brain was definitely my favorite part of the process. He's a bit of a genius, in no small part because he is a total perfectionist.

The 740 mm scale... yeah I get that. I certainly do not mind the stretch, especially since it decreases so dramatically on the other strings, but it is kind of at the limit. @thrsher has his 27" 7 string, very recent build. Pretty sure Dan would do a straight 27" 8-string?

And yeah, I am pretty risk averse when it comes to dropping this much cash, time, and emotional energy on a guitar, so thank for your service! 🫡:lol:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
This looks incredible. I've spoken with Dan a few times about a custom and it's been both a pleasure and incredibly informative.

Thanks for sharing.

Aewrik

Reaction score
I love every Oni guitar I see. I just wanted to stop by and make that statement again. Looks amazing.

Not sure about the 10-way switch though... I'd probably run into the same issues you're hinting live. I have a hard time doing more than two switch positions (i.e. slap the switch to position five, and backhand it right back down to position one)

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Beautiful! If you don’t mind me asking, how long was the queue time/build time?

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! If you don’t mind me asking, how long was the queue time/build time?
From the moment I gave in the deposit, it took almost 2 years to the date I received it. There was no queue per se. We talked, conceptualized, and settled on the basic specs for 2-3 months before I finally gave in my deposit, but it really didn't take him long to get started working on it after that. He worked on it in stages though, a few weeks at a time. I think all the difficulties of the post-covid era threw off a lot of his processes, (which he was very clear and direct about long before I gave him any money) but he was a total champ and delivered in full. I also know that he is putting a lot of thought and brains into improving all of his processes and streamlining things.

With all that said, I knew from before I even reached out to him that I was in this for the long haul. I only ever asked him for estimates a couple of times (mainly to plan my guitar-related finances) and never rushed him, my thinking being that a happy luthier that has a good relationship with his clients builds a better guitar. Win-win.

Reaction score
Like like like like and like. Bonus points for the use of the Freeway switch. I believe you have the 5B5-01, which was indeed made for SSS guitars. I have this switch on 4 of my RGs and it works quite nice. I'm using the "same" diagram with a few swaps in order to achieve my preferred tones, which, in exchange, will render some options order a bit awkward, but as along as I find it functional, it's fine. You can visit the www.freewayswitch.com web site and search their schematics.

The guitar looks gorgeous... Now that Dan bent the frets, he should do it to the pickups as well... 😁 ... just saying so the tech/science improves...

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
How much $ did this end up being? If you don't mind me asking.

It looks so flawless and gorgeous, I'm sure it was well worth it.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
From the moment I gave in the deposit, it took almost 2 years to the date I received it. There was no queue per se. We talked, conceptualized, and settled on the basic specs for 2-3 months before I finally gave in my deposit, but it really didn't take him long to get started working on it after that. He worked on it in stages though, a few weeks at a time. I think all the difficulties of the post-covid era threw off a lot of his processes, (which he was very clear and direct about long before I gave him any money) but he was a total champ and delivered in full. I also know that he is putting a lot of thought and brains into improving all of his processes and streamlining things.

With all that said, I knew from before I even reached out to him that I was in this for the long haul. I only ever asked him for estimates a couple of times (mainly to plan my guitar-related finances) and never rushed him, my thinking being that a happy luthier that has a good relationship with his clients builds a better guitar. Win-win.
Thank you for so much detail!

I’ve never seriously considered a boutique instrument before but Oni’s just look perfect and I’ve only heard stellar things about Dan. On top of this, the lefty market is so limited, so why not go all in on a masterpiece of an instrument.

I’ll definitely be reaching out to him in the next few months.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
HNGD, it looks absolutely stunning with the silver perfing all the way around, and I love that shot of the back showing the awesome contouring/carving on the body.

Whenever I thought about buying a custom boutique guitar I always talked myself out of it by thinking I could basically build something that would suit my needs and live with my own quality. But Dan's builds really look to be on a whole other level, like all the little design decisions you described. No one can copy that.