NGD: Ormsby Goliath Shark 8-string deep sea blue

Dayn

Reaction score
As it says. Let's just jump into the pics, first. It's mid-afternoon and the sun is hidden, so these are shade pics.

jmiWLyt.jpg

Gorgeous top.

N7MWWWa.jpg

Beautiful figuring in the black limba body.

KpNSBYe.jpg

The neck has nice deep figuring to it which isn't apparent in a still photo.

wcRmIEU.jpg

Neck is pretty thin.

FnOSiNZ.jpg

Bridge is pretty comfy.

4HUmXc6.jpg

Closeup of the cutout.

Specs are:
  • Eight strings (obviously)
  • 25.5" to 28.2 (or 3?)" fan
  • Maple top with a chamber
  • Black limba body
  • Flame maple 5pc neck
  • Ebony fretboard
  • Stainless steel frets
  • Passive Ormsby pickups (I think the Hotrock in the bridge and Concordia in the neck?)
These opened up for preorder in, I think February? 2020. I'd been following the Ormsby GTR group on Facebook for about two or three years. I'm wary of preorders, so after watching other guitars turn out alright, I knew what I was getting into. Estimated delivery was around September/November 2020, but covid blew the world up, affecting delivery of parts, work hours, and shipping. I was towards the end of the payment plans, so mine was shipped in the last half of batches.

For the Sharks, the necks were to be 3-piece maple, but they couldn't source enough. So the 8-string Sharks were the only ones to get 5-piece maple necks. I was happy with that. The preorder process was fine. No real complaints. Not sure I'll preorder again - not because I'm unhappy with anything, but because the idea of just waiting around on an instrument doesn't appeal to me. I only bought in after watching how others went and after seeing the Goliaths turn into a known quantity.

The guitar is balanced well. The neck I feel is slightly thicker than my RG2228, with slightly more pronounced shoulders. It came set up perfectly with I think 9-72 in F# standard. After I wear out the strings it's getting tuned down to C#. The fretwork is impeccable, as although they were made in Korea at WMI, the final QC was done in Perth. As good as my Strandberg and RG2228. Bridge is super comfortable. Fan is larger than I'm used to, but I got used to it very quickly.

There were a few tiny cosmetic blemishes that were very minor. There was a tiny spot on the inside near the bridge pickup which looked like a reflection and the finish near the top horn (out of the way and not visible unless looking for it directly) wasn't as perfectly clean as it could have been. However, the GTR line is Korean. The finish is on par (even slightly better) than my Indonesian Strandberg, but of course isn't as perfect as my Japanese Ibanez, but that's to be expected. As said, the fretwork is incredible. For the price and that it's a Korean guitar, it's incredible value for money. I also think the shark cutout could be sanded to make it cleaner. I might look into that myself.

Came with a fairly standard nicely-padded gigbag, in black. I bought a strap too which feels nice - but it came in two parts, and I was too smallbrain to put it together before I took photos. Also got a shark bottle opener and an album for some reason despite not ordering them. Not complaining about that, though.

As for the electronics? I can't give you a fair assessment. I have Fishman Fluences in my other two guitars - I'm not used to passive pickups. I need to overhaul some tones from scratch. One of my lead tones with compression is great, though. I need to invest some time into making it sound good.

Overall, it's super comfortable, easy to play, feels really nice, and the quality is very high for its price point. I'm considering an Ormsby SX in future, but I don't think I'll preorder again - I'd rather wait for in-stock things. (Unless a Goliath bass preorder pops up...)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nice! I want one of these, because I’m a sucker for semi hollow type cutouts. The used market is waaay to hot to get one, but I’m hoping to snag one someday!

Dayn

Reaction score
Nice! I want one of these, because I’m a sucker for semi hollow type cutouts. The used market is waaay to hot to get one, but I’m hoping to snag one someday!
Spares from the current run should be up on the website once all the preorders have shipped. I admit the only reason I jumped on the preorder is because I was after another 8 and the idea of shark inlays and a shark cutout was just too interesting to pass up. Also, because I missed out on the SX sharks in red...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Looks like they used some really nice woods on the neck and back. I like it!

I snagged a spare TX Eaton 7 from one of the early runs, and the turnaround between an email inquiry to Perry and getting the guitar was 3 days. So I agree, waiting for in-stock is the way to go. The runs seem inevitably beset by delay and disruption haha.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Congrats dude! The Goliaths are definitely starting to appeal to me.

I love my SX! If you get one, I'm sure you will too!

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score

I hear u, I couldn't resist though, so I snagged a 7-string Sea Weed a few days ago, should be here by the weekend hopefully.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Congrats dude! The Goliaths are definitely starting to appeal to me.

I love my SX! If you get one, I'm sure you will too!

The run 4 Goliath I have is insane, only better 8-string that surpass it in playability is the tidis H0/8. I thought the Nunchucker bridge pickup was too muddy/honky, changed magnet to Ceramic C8, now it's a monster.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
That is one sexy looking, axe man!

Does the hollow body do much to the sound?

HNGD!!

Dayn

Reaction score
That is one sexy looking, axe man!

Does the hollow body do much to the sound?

HNGD!!
Not as far as I can tell. It's just that bit of the side that's chambered. The resonance, sound, and feel is very much like my Ibanez RG2228, definitely feels and sounds like a solid body to me. Nothing like my chambered Strandberg.

For further general comments, I've had a chance to fool around with the pickups, and after upping the input gain, I'm getting usable sounds out of it. I like it a lot, but it's very difference from my Ibanez and Strandberg which are both loaded with Fishman Fluences. It has a darker quality to it in the lower mids, I think. Doesn't have the sheer clarity of Fishmans. But the fact that they're passives is also throwing me a bit as I haven't had passives in over a decade (and then, none that were good). The split coil sound though is bloody great. Particularly for distortion. They don't sound weak or thin, but they're clearly not humbucker-thick.

As to the scale length, I was worried that, if I got this, I might not want to play my Ibanez. I was wrong. The multiscale is of course good, but the fan is very wide. By the time you get to the fifth string, it's already a tiny bit longer than my RG2228 at 27.1". It helps the higher notes, but I do a lot of long stretches everywhere on the neck. So my Strandberg with its 0.75" fan will still be my lead machine, but this Shark is going down to C# when I wear out the strings. I'm not sure I'd go over a 2" fan in the future.

The strangest thing is it makes me appreciate my Ibanez RG2228 even more. Yeah, it's a 27" straight scale, and I'd probably prefer if it was 25.5 to 27". But the RG2228 is such a goddamn good guitar. I still can't believe how incredible one of the first generation 8-string electrics is.

RickF

Reaction score
Loving these! Sad I missed out. Definitely really eyeing an 8-string lately, matter on what I'll get in the end.

Hoping the spares come up soon!

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I bashed the hell out of the RC1 because it was garbage. I will say the Goliaths play exceptionally well particularly the 8 string. I’ve played a few of them. It’s pretty similar to the Abasi Master 8 fan. Well balanced, great neck. My gripe was the hardware and fine tuners. Feel a bit cheap and clunky. If Abasi, Ormsby and Padalka had a three way they could make the ultimate guitar. The Abasi electronics, Ormsby Goliath neck and Padalka hardware.

RickF

Reaction score
So I bashed the hell out of the RC1 because it was garbage. I will say the Goliaths play exceptionally well particularly the 8 string. I’ve played a few of them. It’s pretty similar to the Abasi Master 8 fan. Well balanced, great neck. My gripe was the hardware and fine tuners. Feel a bit cheap and clunky. If Abasi, Ormsby and Padalka had a three way they could make the ultimate guitar. The Abasi electronics, Ormsby Goliath neck and Padalka hardware.

That's great to hear, definitely understand the criticisms of the RC1, hopefully they can address them.

I quite like my 6 string Goliath GTR, even have one of the custom shop ones on the way. But now I'm eyeing an 8 string one, bit unsure what to get, I see a fair bit of Kiesel 8 strings being quite well liked, or go with the GTR 8 string Goliath.

I do agree with the hardware, just feels very light and clunky.

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Checkmate 6 string headless of all time - Steinberger GM1T - best headless system, way easy to change strings, trans teen hardware is magical. My only headless 6. It’s actually amazing with the headless trend Gibson has not invested into it.

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The
That's great to hear, definitely understand the criticisms of the RC1, hopefully they can address them.

I quite like my 6 string Goliath GTR, even have one of the custom shop ones on the way. But now I'm eyeing an 8 string one, bit unsure what to get, I see a fair bit of Kiesel 8 strings being quite well liked, or go with the GTR 8 string Goliath.

I do agree with the hardware, just feels very light and clunky.
Kissel 8s are solid if you don’t get too crazy on options. Otherwise it becomes overpriced fast.

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Checkmate 6 string headless of all time - Steinberger GM1T - best headless system, way easy to change strings, trans teen hardware is magical. My only headless 6. It’s actually amazing with the headless trend Gibson has not invested into it.
Trans trem hardware, correction. Damn auto spell

I play music

Reaction score
Matt Heafy from Trivium in some interview has mentioned a possible project he's working on with Steinberger IIRC
but with how long they're working already on his sig that's just a normal Epiphone LP, I feel like the Steinberger thing might take a while still :lol:

I play music

Reaction score
To me it's even more amazing that Ned Steinberger himself still hasn't released his headless guitar that I've seen prototypes years ago .. or licensed his hardware patent to some other guitar company

I feel like his ideas are solid but he's no connection to the modern guitar scene or he would already have released a 7 string version multiscale in some Lambhorgini color for all the djent kids

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As of his ideas were ripped off Strandberg, who then was ripped off by everyone else. Word on the street is that a few brands tried to buy the patents when they expired but it was too costly, so hipshot and everyone else just copied it. They are all good enough but if you play a properly setup Trans Trem that you can transpose from standard to Djent tunings on a graphite neck it’s so ahead of the time. Go back and listen to Cynic Focus then Death Human - same guitar transposed tunings. I think it’s just corporate idiots and Ned is not the best at marketing. He’s an inventor - an amazing one! The one headache with the trans trem is setting it up. I bought mine years ago from Jeff Babicz. I wanted to get another one at Guitar Center but it was a disaster then I would have to ship it to New York and pay to get it rebuilt. You need to have a PhD to no setup the damn thing. It’s just so insane and ahead of anything else today. But once it’s setup it’s perfect for studio work. I will switch from standard E, to D and down to B seemlessly with zero intonation issues in the same recording session on one guitar. My only complaint is that it’s not available as a 7 string otherwise all my guitar problems would be solved.