NGD: Ormsby Hypemachine GTR6 Prototype

• Thread starter Ramburger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VVolverin3

Cool beans
Reaction score
I've never played a fanned fret guitar before this so I was surprised when I picked it up and played just the same as a regular scale guitar. Plays great and sounds great.

Never played a fanned fret before and you went for a 2" fan!

You're game!

Glad you like it. I've never played a fanned fret either, been close to ordering one a few times, but I probably would have stuck with a 1" or something like that - too nervous haha.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
So is that an Australian-made prototype for spec purposes etc or is it an actual pre-production model from the Korean factory?

I'm really interested in the TX 7-string so I'd be very interested to know how these are quality-wise. How would you compare them to the other 7 I'm considering, the Boden OS 7? I know they'll obviously feel totally different but is the quality up on the same kind of level?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
So is that an Australian-made prototype for spec purposes etc or is it an actual pre-production model from the Korean factory?

Korean production. Well documented in the Ormsby GTR thread in the Dealer's section with a lot of cool shots around WMI.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

You're game!

Glad you like it. I've never played a fanned fret either, been close to ordering one a few times, but I probably would have stuck with a 1" or something like that - too nervous haha.

Oh they're not bad depending on the number of strings and the size of the fan. "2 on a 6 would intimidate me though. :lol:

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Argh!!! I am beyond excited for my Strike Me Pink Hype 7.

Also, thanks for the video! It was extremely enjoyable.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
Your video is just what I needed to take my excitement over the edge. Can't wait for mine in azure.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score

You're game!

It's an interesting point to bring up because for a seemingly wide fan, mathematically speaking, it works incredibly well, especially on 6 string models. The approach to Ormsby's multiscale isn't just 2 scales and connect the dots in between with a parallel fret at some point. Out of the 100+ people I've thrown my 6 string multiscales at I can't think of 1 person who said it was too severe or didn't feel comfortable with it within a matter of minutes.
That said, if you're in Melbourne there will be opportunities to test them out thoroughly so you can make a decision for yourself.

TGOD

The Wiz
Reaction score
I try and I try to forget about them every time I see them, but this site seems to love forcing me to stare at and, in turn, desire pink guitars.

Ramburger

Reaction score

You're game!

This was one of the reasons I didn't jump in on the run when it was first announced. It wasn't until I played one that I realized thats its actually not as scary as I made myself think it was.

I'm really interested in the TX 7-string so I'd be very interested to know how these are quality-wise. How would you compare them to the other 7 I'm considering, the Boden OS 7? I know they'll obviously feel totally different but is the quality up on the same kind of level?

Its a Korean preproduction model. I would say the quality is similar since they are both made in the same factory.

Reaction score
Very nice. I still think that the laguna seca blue that they offer for the hypemachine is their best color, however.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
This was one of the reasons I didn't jump in on the run when it was first announced. It wasn't until I played one that I realized thats its actually not as scary as I made myself think it was.

i have a couple OS7's & got to play the Ormsby's at NAMM. It say the quality is identical

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Looks like they rolled the edges of the fingerboard, but not in the cleanest of ways. Looks incredibly minor, though, and it being on the bass side it probably isn't even noticeable. Can't see the treble side, though.

Anyway, sweet guitar and sweet playing as always, man!

Happy NGD!

My FB edges look really smooth. Mine is proto 6/6, so maybe it was changed by the time they got to mine? Mine looks perfect.

VVolverin3

Cool beans
Reaction score
It's an interesting point to bring up because for a seemingly wide fan, mathematically speaking, it works incredibly well, especially on 6 string models. The approach to Ormsby's multiscale isn't just 2 scales and connect the dots in between with a parallel fret at some point. Out of the 100+ people I've thrown my 6 string multiscales at I can't think of 1 person who said it was too severe or didn't feel comfortable with it within a matter of minutes.
That said, if you're in Melbourne there will be opportunities to test them out thoroughly so you can make a decision for yourself.

Good to know man. At the time I was mostly looking at Skervesen.

I'm saving for a car now so no guitars for me, but the next one on the list probably would have been a multiscale, or something with True Temperament frets or something interesting/unusual like that!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
My FB edges look really smooth. Mine is proto 6/6, so maybe it was changed by the time they got to mine? Mine looks perfect.

Possibly... And considering it was a proto it seems like something they were working out the kinks on anyway. It sounds damn good in that video and the owner seems happy so it can't be that big an issue. Kinda makes me want an Ormsby...

Tax time is going to consist of very difficult decisions after I pay off my current custom... :lol:

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
It's an interesting point to bring up because for a seemingly wide fan, mathematically speaking, it works incredibly well, especially on 6 string models. The approach to Ormsby's multiscale isn't just 2 scales and connect the dots in between with a parallel fret at some point.

Could you explain this further? Thanks!

ormsby guitars

Reaction score
The fan perfectly matches the human forearm movement when playing.

That's the entire reason for the 'extreme' fan.

Which is only considered 'extreme', because people who came after me, and didn't develop a system from scratch for a technical reason, simply thought 'less fan will feel more natural and maybe will be easier to sell because it's less scary'. Fact is, standard frets are un-natural to play on. We just all learnt to do it that way. You've learnt to bend your wrist back for the nut area. You've learnt to twist the other way for the higher frets. You just need to unlearn that. Doesn't take long :)