NGD: Parker Fly Deluxe 1998 Emerald Green

• Thread starter TimSE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Pics first!
1711302840787.jpeg

IMG_20240324_172241.jpg
IMG_20240324_172258.jpg
IMG_20240324_172306.jpg
IMG_20240324_172320.jpg
IMG_20240324_172334.jpg
It's a little dusty in this last pic - it's in 9.5/10 condition! no dents, chips or finish cracks!

Holy hell, this thing is impressive. weighs half of any other guitar I have, the neck heal is just flat and there basically isnt one :lol: and has the lowest action of any guitar ive ever played. I've loved Parkers since my first guitar teacher had one and I found Dave Martone and after 20+ years I finally have one. From what I can tell, only the tuners are off-the-shelf and EVERYTHING is custom made for these guitars. I highly recommend looking them up because the innovations put into this instrument is stunning.

I can't help but say its "the Lamborghini of the guitar world" and while its not flawless, it's phenomenal. The upper horn does suck tho, and digs into your chest BUT I will say its not been a problem for me. I feel it, but its not uncomfortable and I'm usually a real tight-ass about that kind of thing.
Ken Parkers quote of "we were building $10k guitars and selling them for $2k" is spot on imo and that was back into the 90's.

My model here is whats known as a pre-refined model, meaning it was made before Ken Parker sold the company. The Refined models are post-sale, and the easiest way to tell is the controls layout. They tidied up the volume pots and removed the tension wheel.

I could talk about what went into this guitar for ages so I'll stop there and if youre interested, do look up Parker Fly Guitars on YT as there are plenty of deep dive videos and they are great to dive into. I didnt even mention the carbon fibre exoskeleton on the back :lol:

BONUS PIC of my cat Moxy
1711303108210.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The Fly was such a slept on guitar, they were fantastic though. IIRC some came with piezo systems and were one of the only options with humbuckers at the time. Graphite necks, again, IIRC. I was already into sevens by the time I was capable enough to own nice guitars, but I always hoped they would make a seven string Fly. Instead we got the Max Fly 7 or Mojo Max 7- the not as good as the Fly one, whatever that was. Chapped my ass at the time to no end, lol.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
The Fly was such a slept on guitar, they were fantastic though. IIRC some came with piezo systems and were one of the only options with humbuckers at the time. Graphite necks, again, IIRC. I was already into sevens by the time I was capable enough to own nice guitars, but I always hoped they would make a seven string Fly. Instead we got the Max Fly 7 or Mojo Max 7- the not as good as the Fly one, whatever that was. Chapped my ass at the time to no end, lol.
Yea this one is a peizo model and sounds really good too. Feels like the OG EBMM JP6 as it has such similar spec. My model is Poplar body with Basswood neck which is a combo I'd never have chosen but with these DiMazio pickups it roars like a beast!

I actually think the real deal Maxx Fly models would be a must-have 7 for me now. Stupid rare though! The upper horn change on those would fix the only "problem" I have with these classic Fly shapes. I personal dont have a problem with it, but totally see why people dont like the upper horn against their chest.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
That is really cool guitar. It's funny, I used to see ads for these in guitar magazines in the 90's, and I thought they were the lamest guitar in the world.

View attachment 140978

Now, I wish they were still around. Ahead of their time.
Yeah thats the stuff! I was torn between the Deluxe which I ended up going with or a Classic and sticking with the mahogany body woods. There are some lovely Classics on Reverb atm, and mighty price tags to go along with them too

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
These are so cool. Congrats on the acquisition! Beautiful cat too.

Ken Parker designs are awesome, pretty wild he just makes high dollar archtops now.

tian

Reaction score
Congrats! I had a Fly a long time ago and wish I still had one. The Nitefly I had was also excellent.

I'd have picked up another one by now but the prices have understandably exploded on them.

tian

Reaction score
If you think 20mm is thin, just wait until you play an Ibanez with a Wizard neck.

Anyway... how's the neck profile? More of a C or D shape?
lol, the Fly necks are thinner than any Ibanez Wizard. They're a wide and super slim C.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I always wondered why that horn, which is pretty much an ergonomic design flaw in my book, made it into a guitar that was so over-engineered. It wasn't until this year that I saw Ken talking about the prototype Fly. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's like just the top of an archtop. The horn presumably doesn't dig into you because it's about as thick as a sheet of cardboard, vs. the production Fly where it curves back thick enough to dig into you.

Anyway, I also got a Fly recently. It's not my favorite guitar, but I'm finding it hard to get rid of because the thought that went into it is so evident across the entire instrument.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Parkers suck. Terrible guitars. No one should own them. Definitely no one should own eight of them.

Everyone who has one should sell it for cheap so someone with eight Parkers can buy more of them at a reasonable price because he still doesn't have all of the models that he wants.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
That's awesome!
HNGD!

As others, when I was younger I thought it wasn't edgy enough...now I think it's a unique guitar and it pains me that it's not around anymore

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried one in a local guitar shop when I was about 17, and wanted one ever since. I'm sure there was a perfect time to get one when the prices bottomed out, but I totally forgot about them until seeing the guy from Summoning The Lich palying one.
Interestingly, the guy from Akercocke played one for the longest time but when they started touring again a few years ago he was playing ESPs.

Latest posts