NGD: Prestige Content

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
wow that is a beauty!
please take more pics, gotta see that neck!

Ibanez SR's are my fave bass model. I have two SR Premiums (a 4 and a 5 string) and they are so good!

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I would guess the battery on that is in the control cavity. Ibanez has made active basses like that for ages.

Passive eq controls are very rare, dare I say extremely rare, on production basses. Does it possibly have passive pickups with an active eq? That would be most likely as it's very common. Ibanez has done that for ages as well.

This is incorrect. There are no passive Ibanez SR prestige in the history of the world. That bass has a Power Curve III EQ.

View attachment 120119
Sure enough, I opened the back cavity you are both indeed correct!
6E1C1259-9790-4F9E-9ADA-0727355A0E3A.jpeg

Never seen anything other than 9v used on guitars and basses but that’s not a problem. However why oh god why would they not include a separate spring cavity for the battery. Hardly a deal breaker, but the separate cavity that doesn’t require me to have a screwdriver with me would have been a better design choice. Seems like they updated this for the SR5005, but I’ll live with it

Any particular reason for parting with one of the best 6-string electric guitar models in existence (imo)?

Because I already have another RG3120 from the same year and in the same finish. 😀 The one I sold was beaten pretty badly by the previous owner. The front looks great but the back and sides were dreadful. I had another from the same year in the same finish and with a tighter flame and in better condition, so that’s the one I played. I actually never played the one I sold except for when I tried it when buying it. It sat in its case for almost two years while the other got all the love.

I also have the doom amber RG3120F, which is one of the best looking post-2002 Prestiges (if not THE best) they ever made.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
Sure enough, I opened the back cavity you are both indeed correct!
View attachment 120191

Never seen anything other than 9v used on guitars and basses but that’s not a problem. However why oh god why would they not include a separate spring cavity for the battery. Hardly a deal breaker, but the separate cavity that doesn’t require me to have a screwdriver with me would have been a better design choice. Seems like they updated this for the SR5005, but I’ll live with it

Because I already have another RG3120 from the same year and in the same finish. 😀 The one I sold was beaten pretty badly by the previous owner. The front looks great but the back and sides were dreadful. I had another from the same year in the same finish and with a tighter flame and in better condition, so that’s the one I played. I actually never played the one I sold except for when I tried it when buying it. It sat in its case for almost two years while the other got all the love.

I also have the doom amber RG3120F, which is one of the best looking post-2002 Prestiges (if not THE best) they ever made.
The AAs are weird for sure, lack of a door is not a deal breaker for me but at least yours has machine inserts! The plate on my new ATK has screws in wood. Luckily as long as you remember to unplug when you are done you should get at least a couple hundred hours out a battery(ies).

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That is super weird! I don't know if that's stock or not on those since I've never owned one or looked inside of one. Any other active Ibanez I've owned (or any other brand) has been 9v or 18v.

Latest posts