NGD PRS SE 277 Baritone

• Thread starter Anquished
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I thought I'd wait a few weeks for the honeymoon period to cool off before posting this NGD so it's a little late.

After several attempts to tune my standard 6 string to Drop A# and failing miserably, I thought I'd check out the 277 baritone.

First thing I noticed was that the guitar is actually pretty light in comparison to my S2. Despite it being lightweight I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the construction and how nice the top looks (I assume its just a veneer). Also the little red streaks through the fret board on this particular guitar is cool. It feels incredibly easy to play. I am used to longer scale lengths from playing my 7 string anyway so this didn't feel massively different. The neck is pretty comfortable, not a super thin neck but definitely not too fat either.

Sound wise I am in no rush to swap out the pickups, for stock pickups they are pretty good. Through my 6505MH the guitar sounds amazing both clean and dirty.

My only small gripe is that I wish the tuners were locking as standard. Its not a huge deal since they do the job nicely but they obviously make string changes that much quicker. Overall though I am very happy with the guitar! I would definitely recommend anyone looking for a baritone to try one of these.

Time to go learn some In Flames.

20862194_10155032634003002_1798176295_o.jpg 20861337_10155032633993002_301140861_o.jpg 20394727_10154976734538002_1097213921_o.jpg

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Nice, the 277 guitars are fun to play, especially the humbucker models. It kinda drives me nuts that those have shell inlays while my CE24 has the plain looking ones.

The strings on those are hella thick too! What are they, 14 - 68 or so?

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Yeah, the other thing I forgot to mention is the control cavity panel on the back is flush with the body whilst on my S2 it's not. Which seems ridiculous. I'd love to get a CE24 eventually.

Also yeah I did have the original 14-68 on it which for me was scarily tight. It now has 12-60 on it for Drop A#.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
My 277 is probably my favorite guitar. I got the semihollow version, and replaced the stock pickups with EMG P81/P60s. It sounds sooo fucking good.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Nice! I have yet to play one of these, but really liked the PRS Mushok I played a year or two ago, which I assume is pretty similar.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
My 277 is probably my favorite guitar. I got the semihollow version, and replaced the stock pickups with EMG P81/P60s. It sounds sooo fucking good.

That sounds pretty awesome man. I did like the Semi hollow but I wasn't sure on P90 swapping options so I played it safe and went with the solid body.

Nice! I have yet to play one of these, but really liked the PRS Mushok I played a year or two ago, which I assume is pretty similar.

I never got to play a Mushok so I have no idea. Looking at the specs they should feel similar.

angl2k

Reaction score
HNGD! Nice to see some reviews of this guitar. Does the neck dive a bit?

Do you have feedback issues with high gain? The semi hollow has that shiny black color which I like.

duffbeer33

Reaction score
Awesome looking guitar. I'm a baritone guy myself and would love to toy around with one of these. My Mushok SE is one guitar I'll never get rid of. I imagine the 277 is very similar tone-wise.

xzacx

Reaction score
Looks great! I've been thinking about getting one of the soapbars ever since they came out.