NGD - Schecter Surf Green Sun Valley PT

• Thread starter High Plains Drifter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Limited characters so this will have to be a two-part NGD. ( Part I = The good/ Part II = The bad)

I've had this guitar for a couple weeks now. Wanted to give it some time before posting in order to be able to get away from the honeymoon phase. And also to be able to give it a complete inspection, set-up, and ultimately a proper unbiased review.

Purchased this from Sweetwater and specifically chose one of the lighter ones at 7.5 lb. My other Sustainiac equipped Schecter ( 2015 Blackjack) is more than a pound heavier and I intentionally wanted to go the opposite direction with this one. I've had probably a dozen or more lower/ mid-tier Schecters over the years so I didn't have much hesitation buying this one as I've been overall very pleased with the brand at this price point.

The good:

Fret-board: The majority of my fret-boards have been rosewood/ ebony with probably less than 1/2 dozen being maple as I typically like rosewood and ebony better. But I gotta say that this particular neck and board is an absolute winner. The feel, play-ability, and resonance, are fantastic. Doesn't hurt aesthetically, that the maple REALLY compliments the sea-foam green body as well. Wasn't sure where I'd land with the black appointments/ hardware but I have to say that I love the contrast against the maple board/ neck and sea-foam green body. Gives a very modernized appearance to the otherwise traditional tele shape. 9-10/ 10 imo.

Neck: I've got a Reverend TA that too has a maple neck but it's roasted. And although also smooth as silk, they don't feel the same.. super comfy and similar profiles but I feel like the roasted maple is a bit "stiffer" feeling and maybe more "ping-y ping-ish" lol. Not better or worse necessarily, but this hard-maple board just feels a bit more organic if that makes sense. Whatever the case, this neck is just fantastic... even inspiring as it makes me want to play more and to learn more songs. Whether generic ambient stuff or like recently playing some Ullrich/ Schenker type stuff... add in some long sustain, a little delay/ echo, and FR fluttering and it's simply amazing. 10/ 10.

Vol. controls: The control knob layout is notably different on this one ( NECK VOLUME/ BRIDGE VOLUME) as opposed to my other Sustainiac guitar ( VOL/ TONE/ INTENSITY). I was a bit leery of this configuration but I have to say that now having familiarized myself with it, I sincerely love the tonal versatility of this design. It behaves very differently than my other Sustainiac and that's def a great thing.I feel that I'm able to achieve a better balance between the neck and bridge ( output? frequency? idk) with this config... like I have great control of the harmonics/ tone. 9/ 10.

Frets: The other most notable feature of this guitar are the SS frets. With the exception of Jescar EVO's, all of my guitars have had nickel so this ( combined with the maple board) was quite intriguing to me. And while I figured that these frets might feel nice, I truly had no idea how absolutely amazing they'd sound... like a bright chime-like tonality. And the feel... sweet jebus, yes! Bending and sliding along SS frets is a game changer. It seems that the more I play, the better they feel/ respond and although I initially wondered if it was "just in my head", I can confidently attest that it's not. I see why people opt for SS over nikel. I really have had no issues with nickel frets on any of my other guitars yet I'm not sure that I would ever buy another guitar that didn't have stainless. Ends could be dressed but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing about them ( besides adding a couple more heh!). And they're not sharp by any means... just that dressed ends are the cat's pj's. 9/ 10.

Body contours: I have another tele-shape guitar that I also love but it has no belly/ forearm contour and at least on the forearm, it's somewhat noticeable after some time playing. On this Sun Valley, the contours make the body much more comfortable. I'm also able to more comfortably position the guitar ( while sitting) so that I can see more of the top of the fret-board which especially helps when playing past the 12th fret... and especially when learning new lead stuff up high. 10/ 10.

Body finish: Not flawless but pretty close. Bottom horn at the tip isn't quite as glossy/ perfect as the rest of the body... I'm almost not able to feel it at this point but it was caused by a bit of light over-spray. Also coincidentally at the concave of that lower bout there is a tiny black "fleck"... like a pin-point. Obviously, neither of these flaws are at all a "thing" so only mentioning in a nit-picky kinda way. 8/ 10.

Bridge pickup: So far I'm pretty happy with the EMG Retro Active Hot 70 in the bridge. My other Sustainiac has an SD Full Shred and although I've never had an issue with that one, it seems that the EMG pairs better ( compliments better) the Sustainiac. Not here nor there really but I did raise the EMG just a hair on both sides. 8/ 10.

I'm not a big fan of the EB 9-46's that came on this guitar so I may swap those out to Elixir's or NYXL's ( same gauge) eventually. 7/ 10.

Also just as an 'aside', I was initially thinking that I wanted to change out the pick-guard to a brown tortie or white pearl but the black has very quickly grown on me so it's probably going to stay as is. If the hardware was silver/ chrome then I'd likely still be inclined to swap it out but I feel that the black/ natural maple/ sea-foam green look quite nice together. *** Open to opinions on this.***

Anyway... pics:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
The not so good:

All cavities: Abysmal... truly. If it was ever obvious where corners were cut on these Indo production guitars, it's as apparent as looking into the cavities... top-side: pickup and bridge cutouts as well as under-side trem and control cavities... even visible at the neck pocket. Luckily this doesn't affect anything performance-wise but it woulda been nice had this been cnc'd and finished more cleanly. As it is, I'm not going to strip this guitar down just to fill/ sand/ paint these areas but if this was a higher-end, more expensive, or custom instrument I'd find this outright unacceptable. And you don't really notice these areas unless you're looking for things to scrutinize but I at least felt it was worth mentioning. 4-5/ 10.

Hardware: While inspecting and making adjustments to this guitar, I went ahead and checked every single screw, nut, etc from end to end. Two of the twelve screws on the back plates were stripped. Not a huge deal.. pretty common on Indo guitars in the mid to lower level price points but worth noting here anyway. On the top of the guitar incl pick-guard and machine tuners front & back, all screw-holes were fine and hardware well-secured. Neck screws were also good. Vol pot nuts were good although I tightened both ever so slightly. On the two switches ( ON/ OFF & MIX) one of the 9mm nuts was completely lose and the other was a bit lose. Not a big deal and not necessarily indicative of anything, but they needed to be snugged down. Also one of the phillips slots of the strap button screws had been a little aggressively installed I guess, creating a sharp edge that I nearly cut myself on. Whadda ya gonna do... fortunately I have a few on hand so I just replaced that one. 7/ 10.

Action: I can't really complain about the set-up out of the box but it did at least need to be addressed. Gap between underside of E string to crown was 0.63 mm at the first fret/ 1.70 mm at the twelfth fret. About the same on the high e but I forget the exact measurements offhand. I went ahead during intonation and tuning set up to lower the FR just a hair on both sides to get things leveled from end to end and lower at the twelfth but fairly minor adjustments needed overall. 7/ 10.

>>> Something else that I noticed was that the bridge mounted EMG had a very slight tilt to it... prob didn't affect tone or volume but I did go ahead and drop a very thin ( maybe ~ 1mm) dense foam strip along the backside of it to level it out. Only other guitar that I've run into this issue with was my 2017 SG where the pickups were much more tilted. The fix for that was to replace the pickup springs with silicone tubing. Nothing like that was necessary here but I'm all about things being straight and square so it bugged me. 0/ 0

The horrors that be, presented below. Fortunately, that ugliness is obscured but still...

And wtf you 'lil fleck? It actually looks way more conspicuous in the pic than it actually is... doesn't bother me but if it was on top of the body or if this was a more expensive guitar, it would be a different story.

And I think that about covers everything. Long read but I'm still very excited to have gotten something so out of the norm and that I like SO much. The other day I accidentally picked up my PRS next to it and then gently set it back down while whispering "... sorry... so sorry" and although I love feeling that kind of happy-guilt, I can already tell that my others are gonna collect some dust over the next however many weeks/ months. Not a bad thing, I guess.

And it's a sub $1k guitar so perfection was not expected. I'm not gonna bitch too much about the FR Special either... although I'd at least like to install some proper German saddles at some point. All in all... She's a keeper!

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Dayum! Looking at those cavities, I first thought it was plywood, but it more looks like a dull routing bit was suspect.

Zado

Reaction score
Dayum! Looking at those cavities, I first thought it was plywood, but it more looks like a dull routing bit was suspect.
Honestly I'd not be surprised if some (other) brands started using plywood in this price range to cut some cost. Schecter is a huge fan of """mahogany""" body wood for that reason, I mean it would make much more sense if the SVSS series (and many other series they make) was alder body loaded, for example to complete spec wise against Jackson, Charvel and ESP, but they keep using nyato, Meranthi, luan and other sort-of-mahogany timbers to keep prices lower (or increase margins). They use alder basically only for Strats.Plywood would be next step imho.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I bought a white SVSS PT used a couple of months ago now, and found similar things with the routes and other small details. The overall playability of the guitar was good, and I found the fretwork on the one I got was really good. I have found the neck to not be the most stable in my collection, but it does well enough for my uses. I liked the one I received pretty well, and it serves as a back up to my main 6 string for now.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
had to scroll wayyyyy too far for pics my man

Yeah... but it's been a while since being fortunate enough to post a new acquisition... so I'm all about the rambling blah blah lol.

That was my thought as well. I was bummed initially but the stellar feel of the neck and frets combined with the tonal qualities far exceeded my expectations... so didn't take long for me to be forced to ignore the routing flaws. And exchanging it woulda been a crap shoot anyway. At this point the cavities don't honestly matter to me at all but I did want to have this be a completely honest review.
I bought a white SVSS PT used a couple of months ago now, and found similar things with the routes and other small details. The overall playability of the guitar was good, and I found the fretwork on the one I got was really good. I have found the neck to not be the most stable in my collection, but it does well enough for my uses. I liked the one I received pretty well, and it serves as a back up to my main 6 string for now.

Yep.. Sometimes you have to weigh the good and the bad and go from there. Where it matters, this guitar shines... so much so that it's got me learning new music and inspiring me to play. This is the guitar that I desperately needed in my life and I honestly wouldn't trade it for another with perfect routes... not if I had to gamble on a different neck and fret-board. So yeah... I'm super happy with this one from a "top priority" standpoint.

@Zado - The grade of [mahogany] wood doesn't concern me since I've played it enough now to know that this is the weight, resonance, etc that I want. Could be balsa-wood for all I care lol.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Congrats. This model was one of my color references when I decided to black out the hardware on my seafoam baritele. The specs are 100% not me but aesthetically it's a win. HNGD!

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
If you decide you want to swap that pickguard to a pearl white one I will trade you. That it the only thing I'm not in love with. I have been looking for a black guard for it since I bought it so it can be the reverse of my main 6.

Attachments

• IMG_20231112_134420_665.jpg
    IMG_20231112_134420_665.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Haha I get it. I’m in change the pickgaurd to white or white pearl camp!
After seeing the one that @Roadsterjosh has on his, I may well do that. I like the black though too so... decisions. My other tele has a white guard ( aqua sparkle body) so I don't want another white one but that pearl is sweet.
Thanks much, brother!
Congrats. This model was one of my color references when I decided to black out the hardware on my seafoam baritele. The specs are 100% not me but aesthetically it's a win. HNGD!
Thank you, dude! And I'll echo what others have been saying for a while now... nice to see you back on the board. I love the way that you articulate your thoughts and I genuinely hope that all id going well. You are after all, SSO's hat!
Don’t change that pickguard to tortoise shell or I will be sad. White pearl would be okay but the black matches really well.
Thanks, man. I'm sincerely torn at this point but with the opportunity to swap it out, I may bite the bullet and go with the pearl... hard to decide lol.
If you decide you want to swap that pickguard to a pearl white one I will trade you. That it the only thing I'm not in love with. I have been looking for a black guard for it since I bought it so it can be the reverse of my main 6.
This is extremely tempting. I had kinda brushed off the idea because looking at various sites, I couldn't find a direct-fit Scecter. Not sure if Fender of whatever other brands would perfectly match the screw hole locations of the Schecter but seeing yours and with your offer, I may PM you in the next day or so. I just need a little time to make the decision. And of course, I haven't removed the plastic protector so it's completely pristine cond.

BTW I love your SV but imo with that ebony board it would look absolutely killer with a black guard. Anyway.. Thanks very much for the offer. I'll PM you tomorrow or Mon at the latest if I decide to go that route.