NGD Skervesen Lupus II - another full custom one :-)

• Thread starter Wolfhorsky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Hi,
This thread is kinda late-is NGD. I gave me some time to digest and form as objective opinion about it as possible. I received it early in December, so honeymoon is over. This is my 2nd full custom axe from Skerv. I had it quite thought over. The only idea that was under many discussions was the color. Anyway, here's p0rn first:
Upon assembly
iqskpwn2tlq2.jpg

20gv5n6236b8.jpg

2vv03bqhvcuo.jpg

After arrival \m/ (sorry for the shitty pic from my shitphone):
asxb9ok6rrft.jpg

Specs:
NTB
Neck: flame maple-pear-flame maple. Birdseye maple fretboard with vintage tint. Ivoroid binding.
Neck profile: lupus custom: kinda wizard meets wolgang. About 19 mm at nut and about 20-21 at 12th fret (till the joint). D-shape at the bass side and C-shape at the treble.
Body wings: ultra lightweight swamp ash
Top: Poplar Burl.
Color: Deep ocean (front and back with nicely executed burst at the back). Front high gloss. Rear in satin finish.
Black hardware: hipshot tuners with D07 knobs, Floyd Rose Pro Original.
Seymour Duncan pickups: Custom Custom trembucker in bridge position and Jazz in neck position. The Jazz is wired with coils in paralel. Simple 2-pos switch: bridge direct or neck->Vol pot with Treble bleed.

Short review:
Order process:
I knew what I wanted. The only part we discussed A LOT (and drunk some (too much) beer) was the color. Firstly I wanted quite maple top with red dye and purple (red plus blue) dye at the back with richlite fretboard. But that Deep Ocean is so tasty finish and I am a major sucker for blue guitars... So my idea changed and we discussed the technical issues with staining 3 different woods at the rear of the guitar (maple, pear and swamp ash). It was accepted by me that pear will look like a dog after staining and satin/matte finish would not bring the flame "pop" the way high gloss does. But I prefer satin necks over high gloss ones. Overall the rear color look GREAT in person. The only bitterness was the waiting time...
The ergonomics:
This guitar is my idea of Nebelung and Raptor hybrid with my tweaks, so obviously it is very very comfy for me. Fretboard and neck have great feel with rounded edges. I feel "at home" as they nailed it with almost perfect copy of my fav Lupus I neck...
The sound:
I dunno. It is even better for me than Lupus I. It sings more vocally and has very long sustain. And at the same time it is very tight in low end. It barks, not snaps so to speak. Very very good job, Skervesen.
The bad: I wish I have a twin copy of it in a different color to not to worry I will loose or brake it. Oh wait... I have Lupus I...
Thanks for reading. Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
That is uber cool. A really great build. That neck profile sounds really interesting.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
You had me until maple fretboard. The richlite would have been cool!!
That thing does look great though. The whole back of it came out absolutely stellar; the finish on the neck really makes the figuring pop. HNGD! Sounds like an awesome addition!

Isurez

Reaction score
From this year we are slowly starting to introduce richlite. We need a few months more to develop technology and effective production processes that will allow us to use this material without problems.

But for now I'm happy to let you know about the fact that we have new, very good supplier of roasted maple. :)

BTW, sorry for the dusty keyboard that you can see there. We tried our best and even our air compressors can't fight this shit.

Wojtku, tak jak Ci napisałem - cieszę się, że gitara się podoba. Zazdroszczę Ci jednej i drugiej, bo obie są super. :)

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
looks great.
I have a Custom Custom/Jazz combo in one of my guitars and really enjoy them.

My fave part of that guitar is the back, so nice!

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Thx for the kind words. If I had less guitars I would order Lupus III, but enough is enough. I highly recommend Skerv as they got really better and better ober the years.

It looks sweet. A Swan is still on my list to order eventually. I played one and although they look kinda odd, it was incredibly comfortable and easy to play.

Isurez

Reaction score
It looks sweet. A Swan is still on my list to order eventually. I played one and although they look kinda odd, it was incredibly comfortable and easy to play.
That was the goal of this design and it's the most comfortable model from our offer. We had situations when customer arrived to our workshop to order Raptor and everything ended up with Swan.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
What a damn nice MX518 you have there! :D

Congrats for the build. Whats the fingerboard radius and nut width?

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
Holy goodness that's a good looking finish. I absolutely love the heel joint on that as well. Plus the headstock is amazing. Well done speccing that thing!

electriceye

Reaction score
I love the maple board, so think you made the right choice. The roasted maple boards are tasty as well!! I'm a big fan of those and have a bunch of them on my shelf for future builds.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the finished back? On the photo you have posted it makes impression of unfinished and I am wondering if this is due to satin finish or empty uncovered cavity makes it looks this way...

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
The guitar looks beautiful with the wood grains & colour. I bet it looks even better in person. Just don't leave your guitar out in the snow for too long.:agreed:

;>)/