NGD! Skervesen Raptor FF7!

rifft

Reaction score
I got this axe exactly one week ago and it’s a monster. First the pics (I don’t have access to a nice camera at the moment so the ones Skervesen sent me will have to do!)

DSC_0203_1_zpsb1ad3b03.jpg

DSC_0204_zps640ce46b.jpg

DSC_0214_zpse5535d9d.jpg

DSC_0216_zps336832f4.jpg

DSC_0226_zps0c7251db.jpg

DSC_0237_zps3567206c.jpg

DSC_0241_zps111837c5.jpg

Specs (more can be found in my build thread linked in my sig):
Ash body
Spalted maple top
Ivoroid binding
Maply/ebony bolt on neck
Ebony fretboard
18”-20” radius
25.5”-27” fan
BKP Aftermaths set
Hipshot locking tuners
ABM single saddle bridges
Satin finish

This build was actually my first custom, my first seven stringer, and my first experience with fanned frets. Maciek was extremely helpful in helping me figure out exactly what I wanted in my build. He was extremely responsive and I think we exchanged 60-something emails throughout the whole process. My guitar was finished exactly 10 weeks(!!) after I paid my deposit and I received it a little after that (build time quoted at 8-10 weeks). I’m really happy how the guitar came out and really enjoy the natural look/feel of it :)

This guitar is a metal monster! My main guitar has been a PRS Custom 24 and this thing just blows it out of the water in terms of playability and tone for higher gain stuff! I really like the aftermath pickups. The neck joint and carve are very comfortable the neck itself is super fast. Upper fret access is also a breeze. I played this guitar for 7 hours straight the day after I got it and did not experience any wrist pain, etc. The ABM single saddle bridges are also very comfortable. There’s no digging/pinching into my hand when I palm mute.

For anyone thinking about fanned frets, I cannot recommend them enough. I still do get a little lost in the upper region of the guitar (frets 16-24-ish) sometimes but that’s also because of the lack of inlays and has been getting easier with time. For anything below that, there was about no adjustment period at all.

I don’t have any issues with the guitar that I can point out at the moment. There is a little bit of sympathetic ringing in the strings between the nut and the tuner (the piece of damping felt is much smaller on the lower strings due to the fan). I wouldn’t really call that a flaw, it’s just too resonant and is nothing a hair tie/fretwrap won’t fix

Finally a short clip of the guitar! This was just a kind of sloppy test run of a song I wrote test out my guitar. I used my H&K TubeMeister 18 (it was on the 5w setting). Trying to figure out how to use SD2.0/write drums and will need to mix it when I do a proper take with a cranked amp :) If you guys have any tips/suggestions on how to improve/approach those areas, that’d be much appreciated! Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/rifftmusic/skervtest-lowvo

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JakSchitt

Tonehound
Reaction score
One of the nicest 7's Ive seen on here ever. That looks incredible!

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! I like the natural look:metal:
Congrats and enjoy!

jawbreaker

Breakin' the jaw.
Reaction score
Hey you, yeah you! With the Skervesen. GIVE ME BREATH BACK!
that guitar is flawless. 10 weeks is a great time for a custom build! I'll be PM'ing you with some questions ;)

feilong29

Reaction score
Oh that is sexy! I spec'd out a Skervy build that I plan on going thru with in June :D The appearance of the slanted bridge and pups kind of put me off, but, how does it look in person? Does the playability overshadow the appearance? If you recommend it that much, I might have to go thru with getting fanned frets as well :D

Thyrif

Reaction score
Man, you guys need to stop posting Skervies, giving me too much GAS! Love the natural look. Hope I can join the bandwagon this spring.

Great soundclip too!

neonblack24

Reaction score
Great looking guitar! I'm really digging the stripped down, minimalist look. Also, it sounds like you got a halfway decent set of chops :metal:. Congrats!

rifft

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

RobPhoboS: Price-wise they're very competitive. I'm not exactly sure what they are is at the moment (and exchange rates have been bouncing all over the place). Here's a list of prices/options for the Australia run, though:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/3374916-post46.html

jawbreaker: feel free to send me any questions you have and I'll try to get back to you quickly :)

feilong29: I personally like the look of the slanted bridge/pups with the fan. I was originally going to get a hipshot bridge but it was a few mm to small to get the proper fan. I'm glad I ended up with the single saddles, though. I really dig it because the low strings are nice and tight while the higher ones are still very bendable. I was afraid at first to make the switch (my PRS is a 25" scale) but it's been an extremely smooth transition. Kind of a bummer that fanned frets are so rare you don't often get to play them before you order. Let me know if you have any other questions!

feilong29

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

RobPhoboS: Price-wise they're very competitive. I'm not exactly sure what they are is at the moment (and exchange rates have been bouncing all over the place). Here's a list of prices/options for the Australia run, though:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/3374916-post46.html

jawbreaker: feel free to send me any questions you have and I'll try to get back to you quickly :)

feilong29: I personally like the look of the slanted bridge/pups with the fan. I was originally going to get a hipshot bridge but it was a few mm to small to get the proper fan. I'm glad I ended up with the single saddles, though. I really dig it because the low strings are nice and tight while the higher ones are still very bendable. I was afraid at first to make the switch (my PRS is a 25" scale) but it's been an extremely smooth transition. Kind of a bummer that fanned frets are so rare you don't often get to play them before you order. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the info! I think if it really helps with playability (going with the natural motion of your arm/hand), then I think I should go for it! Again, congrats on an awesome build my friend!

Latest posts