NGD: Steinberger ZT3 (again!)

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had one of these in trans grey/black I posted a few years back. Was still experimenting with different guitars at the time, so I let it go foolishly.

In the time since, the market kinda dried up on these. They don't pop up often and when they do, they're an arm and a leg. Wasn't necessarily in the market for one but this popped up needed some TLC, and it was all stuff I could handle so I decided to pick it up.

Main issues out of the box: TransTrem didn't work, one pickup was dead, lots of scratch/grime/scuffs, and the kickstand just flopped loose. Oh, and the frets were full of flat/dead spots.

Fixed a lot of the issues just with a thorough cleaning and polishing. The TransTrem luckily had no missing or broken components, it was just WAY out of adjustment and the poor condition led the previous owner to just permanently lock it. After cleaning, oiling and installing a set of double ball strings, it now is 100% functional.

Pickups were stock. Someone definitely got inside of this and played around. I eventually concluded the neck pickup was dead-dead (after disassembly, discovered a short in one of the coils). I'm going to assume they tried to fix/troubleshoot the neck pickup issue and gave up.

Decided a proper Steinberger should have an EMG set, so I went with a 57/66 set in brushed black nickel. These seemed to match the color scheme of the guitar and blended with the black hardware well enough to suit me. I LOVE these pickups. I've always been a 85, 89 and SA guy (meh to the 81) but these are a nice next step. They feel a little hotter with more beef than the 85 but they're not as nasally, chainsawy like the 81. Might be my new favorite pickup.

The body needed some routing to clear the new pickups. Length and width were fine but the corner radius was too large for the covered dimensions of the the EMGs. I checked the body up in the CNC and routed mostly just the corners a pinch to get these in.

Kickstand was a mess. I almost gave up on it and was going to just lock it in place or remove it. They used a kinda bent steel roll pin to lock the kickstand down/up. The pin was worn out bad, as were all the contact points so nothing would hold no matter how I reshaped it. Last attempt was to bore out the hole to clean up the edges, and I installed a slightly oversized tension pin. *That* happened to work like a charm.

Frets were either well loved or it was sitting with something on top of it forever because the frets were all smushy right under each string. The fretboard was also dirty and covered with green finger cheese. Thoroughly scrubbed the board, then leveled and recrowned it. Plays beautifully now. One nice thing about these, while I miss the solid graphite neck of the GL/GM series.. the graphite U channel on these is VERY stable. Guitar is 20 years old and seen a hard life and I was still able to adjust the neck to straight as an arrow with a quarter twist.

I love this thing. This one joins the forever club (for now 😅).

Resize_20230705_120829_9860.jpgResize_20230705_120825_5678.jpgResize_20230705_120827_7942.jpgResize_20230705_120828_8930.jpgResize_20230705_120826_6831.jpg

Last edited:

jaxadam

Reaction score
Amazing man. The old school Steinbergers were some of my favorites. I was in a band back in the 90’s with a guy who had one and I played it more than my own guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amazing man. The old school Steinbergers were some of my favorites. I was in a band back in the 90’s with a guy who had one and I played it more than my own guitar.

I've had two GR4s (the normal body shaped, HSS with a graphite neck and the R-trem). Wish I kept the last one, I sold it off for some stupid price before graphite necks became unobtainium. Great playing guitars, ton of mojo and the neck/tuning stability is unreal.

I'm a Vito Bratta fanboi so at some point, one like his is the goal.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sick!

I'm not knowledgeable on the Transtrem but it has kind of a Kahler look... Was that a collab back in the day?

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Had one of these in trans grey/black I posted a few years back. Was still experimenting with different guitars at the time, so I let it go foolishly.

In the time since, the market kinda dried up on these. They don't pop up often and when they do, they're an arm and a leg. Wasn't necessarily in the market for one but this popped up needed some TLC, and it was all stuff I could handle so I decided to pick it up.

Main issues out of the box: TransTrem didn't work, one pickup was dead, lots of scratch/grime/scuffs, and the kickstand just flopped loose. Oh, and the frets were full of flat/dead spots.

Fixed a lot of the issues just with a thorough cleaning and polishing. The TransTrem luckily had no missing or broken components, it was just WAY out of adjustment and the poor condition led the previous owner to just permanently lock it. After cleaning, oiling and installing a set of double ball strings, it now is 100% functional.

Congrats man! These things are top tier.

I keep seeing these listed for beyond absurd prices and even the fixer-uppers all missing parts. Really lucky there!

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sick!

I'm not knowledgeable on the Transtrem but it has kind of a Kahler look... Was that a collab back in the day?

The original TransTrem looked much like the other headless trems out there, with the tuners sticking out of the back. That required the butt of the guitar to be cut out, same like you see on Strandberg.

shopping

The perks of the TransTrem were two-fold:

1.) The Trans (in this case, short for "transpose") part is the fact there's a notched arm on it that allows you to raise or lower the tuning with one swing of the arm. The original TransTrem allows for dropping down to D, C, and B. They also allowed you to raise the tuning to F# and G.

2.) The reason the transposing system works is because of the pivoting string holders and roller saddles. That part is similar to a Kahler yeah, but the break angle, more robust spring tensioner, and having the tuners bridge mounted allow it to hold tuning much better. The double ball strings help.

Anyway, the pivot behind the saddles along with the way the saddles adjust make it so that you can hold chords, bend down with the trem and the chords will still intonate in tune. You can use it to bend like a pedal steel. Down the line, Steinberger offered it in what's called a S-trem, which looks almost identical to the TransTrem, and it'll bend the chords but it doesn't have the locking tuning change function.

Eventually Steinberger started offering the GS model, which had a headstock with tuners on it, which meant no tuners sticking out of the butt, so you could have a more traditional super strat like body.

shapeimage_4.png

The ZT3 came some years later (early 2000s). The TransTrem on these were an all new design but shared some DNA with the other two. The big difference are the tunings (Eb, D down and F, F# up) and the tuners facing "up" so that you don't need the butt cutout.

The ZT3 trem catches some flak from Steinberger gatekeepers, they say they're poorly made and break etc. I think it's undue, most of the flak is because they're not the original, they came out after Ned sold the company, they didn't sell much (headless guitars in the early 2000s? Nope) and they were exclusively import made (original GL/GM/GR were all MIA). Ive personally never handled a TransTrem 3 that was "broken" beyond repair from normal use. Any of them I've seen were damaged solely operator error and most/all were fixable.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also if you wanna hear the transtrem in action:

Fire in the Hole is interesting because he actually uses the transpose feature to change tuning. I BELIEVE the actual guitar is tuned to proper Eb (recording is E), but the meat of the song is planed with the Transtrem pulled up a step, disengaged for the solo, then there's a part in the song (starts at 4:20) where he goes way fucking low.

Be_eM

Reaction score
The ZT3 trem catches some flak from Steinberger gatekeepers, they say they're poorly made and break etc. I think it's undue, most of the flak is because they're not the original, they came out after Ned sold the company, they didn't sell much (headless guitars in the early 2000s? Nope) and they were exclusively import made (original GL/GM/GR were all MIA). Ive personally never handled a TransTrem 3 that was "broken" beyond repair from normal use. Any of them I've seen were damaged solely operator error and most/all were fixable.

Good job getting that kickstand fixed👍

The main issue with the TTv3 is that Gibson never had replacement parts available. They simply didn't stock up on them because the TT would be the most expensive "spare part" in their whole service department. They didn't even create part numbers for any TT3 parts. Something without a part number doesn't exist. Period. They fixed warranty issues with the ZT3 by taking the TT3 from other guitars (with other issues) and using that as warranty replacement.

Things that break on a TTv3:
• I've heard several requests for the jaw adjustment screws, on which people seem to strip the hex socket quite often. Unfortunately this is a custom made screw, which can't simply be replicated. I've asked the machine shops who do all my other parts, but they would be too expensive. So my current solution would be cutting a slot into these screws and adjust them with a regular screwdriver.
• Some people lost a tuning knob or two.
• The trem arm has a weak nut, on which the thread strips easily. Others lose their trem arm (as people often do). Not an issue, I've got new trem arms, if needed.

What I really like on the TTv3 vs. the TTv2: the transposing range (2 half steps up/down) makes more sense than the old transposing range without the Eb option.

Bernd

DeepSixed

Reaction score
The TransTrem is absolutely mind blowing. I used to play the Steinbergers with the TT at Quigley music in KC back in the 80s. The transpose and being able to bend chords put a huge smile on your face. Unfortunately the guitars they were on were way too huge of a dent for the wallet of my teen self at the time.

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score
Much envy. I, too, had a transblack ZT3 that I let go in a trade to a member on here some years back. Have regretted it ever since. Happy NGD!

zentak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, I have a black translucent ZT3 new, sitting in my closet. I bought it ages ago, and never touched it. I havent even removed the tape over the original pickups, and the tags are still attached. I tried to figure out how to work the trans trem (not tune it, I have Ned's videos on that so that's not a problem) but I could never figure it out. Anyone offer any advice? I don't want to damage it, so I'm hesitant to force anything. Cheers.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Hey, I have a black translucent ZT3 new, sitting in my closet. I bought it ages ago, and never touched it. I havent even removed the tape over the original pickups, and the tags are still attached. I tried to figure out how to work the trans trem (not tune it, I have Ned's videos on that so that's not a problem) but I could never figure it out. Anyone offer any advice? I don't want to damage it, so I'm hesitant to force anything. Cheers.

Sounds complicated.... just sell it to me. Cheap.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Make sure the trem arm is screwed in all the way but not so far that you've engaged the locking mechanism (you'll know when you've made it there).

You dive or raise the trem like you would on a normal FR, then when you have it approx in the key you want to lock it in, you turn the trem arm 90 degrees clockwise so it's pointing toward the back of the guitar and that engages the lock. You can rotate the trem arm back toward the front of the guitar so it's not sticking all the way back but at some point it'll disengage so don't turn it too far.

The tension on the screws for locking/unlocking take some adjustment or just getting used to them, so in some situations you can disengage the lock just turning the arm counter clockwise, sometimes you need to turn toward the back again and apply a little pressure to get it to disengage. I'm not sure which way is "correct", both ZT3s I had were second hand and I'd tinkered with them quite a bit so I dunno which way was 'right' but either works. Regardless, figure you might have to adjust the arm locking screws if you feel like you're having trouble locking/unlocking it.

Should have five different positions you can engage, and once you've done it a couple times you kinda get used to those positions by ear or visually and you know when you're in the right one (D, Eb, E, F, F#)

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Total win. Amazing instrument. Plus, you can play all the VH tunes that switch keys now!

Summer Nights and Me Wise Magic are pains in the ass without one! (I don’t have one)

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Excellent find and restore! I've sadly never had the chance to buy one of the Steinbergers I'd like to. Just too much now. I lallygagged too much and never got one of the Transcale baritones they came out with when they tried to relaunch. Closest I've ever gotten to one so far.