NGD: Steve Stevens Stevest [Hamer Content]

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Maybe the 3rd of 4 of the impeding NGDs I wanted to do, but definitely less cool than the last two, but still well steeped in the 80s vibe.

This is a Hamer Steve Stevens signature model. I'm not a huge fan of Steve Stevens, or this model usually -- I always thought it was one of the worst looking of that Hamer era. But if you like the Californian or Chaparral models, they are almost always bolt-on -- the set neck versions exist, but they're very rare, and they get quite expensive. The last Californian set neck I saw had fancy wood, but it I think the construction also played a large part in it going for like $5500 on Reverb (well, maybe it was sold outside of Reverb, who knows). The Steve Stevens model is an option for a set neck Hamer floyd guitar for far less. So that's one advantage. The other is that, while this model can look pretty bad IMO, when it's in black, with inlays, and EMGs, it has a whole different vibe and I actually thought it was cool enough to fight another guy on Mercari for it, and violate the usual etiquette of the public bartering typically used there, and just snatched it up after the price was lowered for the other guy!

Anyway, as a guitar, pleasantly surprised. Very resonant, pretty lightweight, just a great voice. It's got that 85/89 style bridge sound that, like the VAG posted earlier, I tend to like even though it's out of fashion. Another 24.75" guitar with a floyd, which is pretty hard to come by and I really enjoy -- I think these days people would push you towards a Caparison Horus for that, but this is way better than the Horuses I used to have. The double cutaways are pretty extreme, and aesthetically bad in another other color IMO, but they do make it play really easily -- there's just not a lot of guitar north of the neck pickup. The guitar seems mostly cared for, but still 30+ years old so it has plenty of scratches and wear. I should have tried some polishing before doing a round of photos! The black and the nice quality MOP on the fretboard overall gives it a nice vibe.

The switching is also pretty interesting -- one 3-way switch selects between bridge / bridge + neck / and neck. The second brings the middle pickup in or out. I kind of like. The switches are also some rare or prorpietary thing with rubber tips that feels either premium or just out of place on a guitar.

The last thing that stands out to me is the heel carve. It looks blocky and maybe a bit crude, but the angles are just right, and it honestly is one of the most comfortable set neck heels I've ever had. I'd push for something like this if I was doing customs still. It's hard to believe from the pics though.

Overall, a very nice guitar that's representative of Hamer's quality and pursuit of their own vision. It's a pretty quirky design, but aesthetics aside, it's a pretty nice playing experience. I'm not sure I'll hang on to it when I start downsizing, but in the meantime I like it quite a bit.

Anyway, pics:

DSC00330.jpg

dsc00327-jpg.133979

DSC00329.jpg

dsc00333-jpg.133983

DSC00331.jpg

dsc00338-jpg.133985

Dupes:
View attachment DSC00327.jpg
View attachment DSC00333.jpg
View attachment DSC00338.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Dumb question: is there a name for this specific style of doublecut with the tiny horns? My mind immediately goes to things like Brian May's guitar, or the Carvin DC100/DC6, both of which are quite similar to this but differ somewhat from Gibson's DCs.

What's the second 3-way for?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm really really into this. Floyd, 24f, double cut, strap pin right behind the neck heel. Ebony board. In line headstock. Man I'm glad to know these exist, and definitely hmu if you ever decide to move it.

narad

Reaction score
Dumb question: is there a name for this specific style of doublecut with the tiny horns? My mind immediately goes to things like Brian May's guitar, or the Carvin DC100/DC6, both of which are quite similar to this but differ somewhat from Gibson's DCs.

I don't think so -- seems like it starts with the SG? Maybe there were some archtops that way prior as well? In terms of playability I agree it makes sense to just hack off a bunch from the horn in this way, maybe at the cost of balance?

What's the second 3-way for?

It's not a second 3 way -- it's a 2-way, middle pickup on/off.

I'm really really into this. Floyd, 24f, double cut, strap pin right behind the neck heel. Ebony board. In line headstock. Man I'm glad to know these exist, and definitely hmu if you ever decide to move it.

Will do. As I dive headfirst into valley arts territory, I'm looking to offload some stuff. Was thinking to move some other things, but may consider this. Local's always nice.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Not gonna lie @narad , this year I've been getting super into hockey stick headstocks and hamer 80's stuff, 80s stuff in general, and I'm like 99% sure you are to blame.

Ask me 3 years in the past if I liked this stuff I would have laughed at you, thanks.

narad

Reaction score
Not gonna lie @narad , this year I've been getting super into hockey stick headstocks and hamer 80's stuff, 80s stuff in general, and I'm like 99% sure you are to blame.

Ask me 3 years in the past if I liked this stuff I would have laughed at you, thanks.

And I blame this guy for the hockey stick headstocks:

And this guy for the late 80s Tyler/Anderson/VA LA scene (+ Aircraft) stuff:

Also such VAG reverence in this one:

Sadly 3-5 years ago it would have been significantly less expensive to have liked this stuff. Such is life.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Speaking of that gaping hole where the strap pin used to be, where is it now?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
In the case.
I thought it was maybe somewhere else on the guitar that I couldn't see in the picture lol ... sometimes I forget that I'm in the minority in that I only play standing. Did it get like ripped out and needs to be filled and re-drilled or did you just like... take it out because you don't like it or something?

narad

Reaction score
I thought it was maybe somewhere else on the guitar that I couldn't see in the picture lol ... sometimes I forget that I'm in the minority in that I only play standing. Did it get like ripped out and needs to be filled and re-drilled or did you just like... take it out because you don't like it or something?

I'm honestly not sure, it was already out when I bought it. As someone that only plays sitting down, at this apartment at least, it doesn't really cross my mind...and man, I've got a decent collection of terrible straps that have come with all the used guitars I've bought since covid started.