NHL 2018 - 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I didn’t really see any clear cut players for the Conn Smythe. No forwards were even at a 1 P/GP pace this year. Binnington had some really good games, but his numbers weren’t mind blowing, .914 SV%, 2.46 GAA, and 1 SO. I probably would still have given it to him though. So I guess nothing really stood out compared to say last season. It took some of the top all time single playoff season individual performances for the Caps to win last year.

Kuznetsov - 12+20=32. 20th all time in points
Ovechkin - 15+12=27. 20th all time in goals
Carlson - 5+15=20. 19th all time in points from a defenseman

So three top 20 individual performances in the history of the the league and then for good measure.

Holtby - .922 SV%, 2.16 GAA, 2 SO
Backstrom - 5+18=23. 107th all time points (Compared to O’Reilly - 8+15=23. 115th all time points)

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Gudas for Niskanen... meh for meh.

He was really bad last year. Wasn’t thrilled either until I realized the savings for Caps. They are only paying $2.345 million ('19-20) at a salary cap savings of $3.405 over Niskanen. Wouldn’t be surprised if Caps send him packing in another trade July 1.

protest

Reaction score
He was really bad last year. Wasn’t thrilled either until I realized the savings for Caps. They are only paying $2.345 million ('19-20) at a salary cap savings of $3.405 over Niskanen. Wouldn’t be surprised if Caps send him packing in another trade July 1.

Yep. With Holmgren back in charge the Flyers are back to trading picks for negotiating rights to UFAs and adding salary to the cap for seemingly no reason.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Penguins traded Maata for Kahun and a 5th round pick from Chicago... Maata's play has been trending in the wrong direction for a couple seasons, and Kahun looks decent, but this makes the Pens thinner at what is easily their weakest position. Now if they can just get rid of Johnson...

The following pairings might actually work...
Dumoulin / Letang
Riikola / Schultz
Pettersson / Gudbranson

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Penguins traded Maata for Kahun and a 5th round pick from Chicago... Maata's play has been trending in the wrong direction for a couple seasons, and Kahun looks decent, but this makes the Pens thinner at what is easily their weakest position. Now if they can just get rid of Johnson...

The following pairings might actually work...
Dumoulin / Letang
Riikola / Schultz
Pettersson / Gudbranson

Ha, I feel bad for any team with Johnson and Gudbranson. Talk about some dead weight.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ha, I feel bad for any team with Johnson and Gudbranson. Talk about some dead weight.

Gudbranson has shockingly been good on the third paring with Pettersson. He was actually a +7 with the Pens over the 19 games he played and was even in that horrible playoff performance.

Johnson definitely needs to go, the only reason he seemed to be improving at the end of the season was that Schultz was covering for him at the cost of his own numbers and offensive potential.

broj15

Reaction score
I wasn't raised on hockey (Indiana native. College basketball is all we know) but living in a city with a Stanley cup winning team is pretty cool. It's fun to see all the fans coming together and celebrating. Unfortunately they couldn't push the arch into the river like I was hoping they would.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Erik Karlsson resigns with the Sharks... the rumors were fun while they lasted, but I knew there was no way he would end up in Montreal, let alone Ottawa.

As far as year-end individual trophies go, I am curious who will win the Jack Adams? Everyone had been saying Trotz after turning around NYI, but it would probably be even more appropriate to give it to Berube for turning it around as hard as he did midseason + Championship.

My offseason hopes include trading for a top-4 left D and signing UFA Panarin. I would be plenty satisfied with just that.

Last edited:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Karlsson deal looks great now, but I'm curious how it looks in a couple years...

The Jack Adams is really tough. It's regular season only so the playoffs shouldn't be considered. That said I could see it going to Trotz or Berube... Berube arguably had more talent to work with than Trotz did but the turnaround was a bit more impressive since the Blues did so badly at.

My hopes for the offseason are that Rutherford doesn't fuck things up worse and manages to get rid of Johnson :lol: I'm seeing some rumors that he's trying to get Simmonds. :facepalm: Oh and after trying to trade Kessel he's now saying the Pens should focus on playing an uptempo game and that was part of why he traded Maata.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh Rutherford may actually be planning to keep Johnson :facepalm:

“We certainly had to make a move from a cap point of view. … We were getting ourselves to a point where we might have been in a little trouble,” he said. “It was going to be either Johnson or Maatta to open up the necessary cap space and open up the logjam at defense. And as it turned out, it ended up being Olli.”