NHL 2019-2020

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Except that Carolina has practically two whole NHL-caliber defense corps while Pittsburgh can barely muster one.

I was more referring to the bad contracts and thrashing around with the lineup in a series of endless trades to get guys that don't really end up working.

At this point I am betting the Pens are going to end up completely cash strapped with Murray in the lineup for another season and have to let somebody they can't really afford to lose go to accomplish it...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matt Murray to Ottawa.

PHEW! glad Rutherford caved on the deal.. shame he couldn't have gotten Johnson in there (which was an original rumor) but even Ottawa wouldn't take that contract :lol:

I'm sad to see Murray go and hope he does well, but there was just no way the Pens could afford what his ask was, and his performance over the last 3 years really didn't justify a $5+ million salary

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Murray to Ottawa is a good fit. Since you no longer have him or Johnson to complain about, what is the Pens biggest issue(s) nowadays?
Don't say Matheson because he hasn't even played for you yet :fawk:

Ottawa will be scary in a few years, already had very promising prospects, now add Stuetzle and Sanderson :eek:

Nashville are having a great couple of days... traded Bonino away, bought out Turris and drafted a very promising goalie in Askarov.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Murray to Ottawa is a good fit. Since you no longer have him or Johnson to complain about, what is the Pens biggest issue(s) nowadays?
Don't say Matheson because he hasn't even played for you yet :fawk:

Ottawa will be scary in a few years, already had very promising prospects, now add Stuetzle and Sanderson :eek:

Nashville are having a great couple of days... traded Bonino away, bought out Turris and drafted a very promising goalie in Askarov.

Not Matheson specifically, but the defense has not gotten much of an upgrade over last year. Statistically Johnson being gone is great, but given Sullivan's preferences the 3rd pairing will probably be Matheson and Ruhwedel. There is no net front or physical presence anywhere in the lineup. Goaltending is still a question mark as while Murray proved conclusively he is not up to being an NHL starter with a normal workload over a full season Jarry hasn't yet proven he is either. Third line is still a question mark.

Basically the team has gotten younger and faster, but I'm not sure they've gotten better at this point. I'll hold out judgement until I see how the team looks though. In theory if we get some of the young prospects in the lineup it could get interesting.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
So much to process across the league... this is nuts. Contract buyouts everywhere, tons of RFAs going unqualified, goalie market is flooded, contract dump/trades everywhere... and the UFA market hasn't even opened up yet!!

I like the Anderson 7y/5.5m contract. Longest term I have seen signed post-covid, audacious, but I like it (for now :lol:). Also glad to see Domi sign a fair contract and get a good opportunity in Columbus.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So much to process across the league... this is nuts. Contract buyouts everywhere, tons of RFAs going unqualified, goalie market is flooded, contract dump/trades everywhere... and the UFA market hasn't even opened up yet!!

I like the Anderson 7y/5.5m contract. Longest term I have seen signed post-covid, audacious, but I like it (for now :lol:). Also glad to see Domi sign a fair contract and get a good opportunity in Columbus.

Yeah the flat cap for at least 2 seasons has everybody freaking out and has definitely made things interesting

AdamMaz

Reaction score
You must be laughing your ass off as Ottawa signs Murray to 4y/6.25m and NYR signs Johnson to 1y/1.15m :gayfight:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be laughing your ass off as Ottawa signs Murray to 4y/6.25m and NYR signs Johnson to 1y/1.15m :gayfight:

Ottawa better hope Murray steps up and looks like he did in the Cup runs and not like he has between the pipes for the last 3 years for the Pens or they MASSIVELY overpaid. The Johnson deal is more what the Pens should have signed him for an kept him in a MUCH more limited role.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
WTF are we paying $4m to Justin Schultz for? That’s a terrible signing. Signing Lundqvist was at least low risk as a backup for Samsonov.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Looking at the big ol' transactions list from TSN, there's a lot to unpack here.

Krug going to the Blues? Can't think of anyone on our roster who's going to fill those shoes, so our D core might as well be from Pittsburgh now.
Chara in free agency, couple years overdue but without having anyone in our core to backup him and Krug leaving at the same time, would've been nice to still have him.
Crawford signing with New Jersey? They were in desperate need of goaltending with Blackwood being Blackwood.
Brodie to Toronto? Not sure where they freed up the money for him, but sure, add more the powerhouse that chokes at the though of winning a Stanley cup.
Holtby to Canucks? Didn't think Markstrom wasn't working out that well, but maybe they'll split starts and get the best of each by not burning one out.
Markstom to Calgary? Scratch that previous comment, I also didn't think Rittich was playing poorly enough to warrant relegating him to second fiddle but OK?
Kinkaid to Rangers? I thought Georgiev was their backup, so not sure where in the lineup he'll be fitting in.
Shattenkirk to the Ducks? Hope he likes playing for city that forgets they have a hockey team.
Talbot to the Wild? Won't move the needle at all, but good for them for feeling like they did something.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WTF are we paying $4m to Justin Schultz for? That’s a terrible signing. Signing Lundqvist was at least low risk as a backup for Samsonov.

Depends, if he returns to form it's a great signing. He wasn't great last season, but he was also paired with Johnson and recovering from a broken leg.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Depends, if he returns to form it's a great signing. He wasn't great last season, but he was also paired with Johnson and recovering from a broken leg.

Seems like a panic signing to replace Kempny who is going to miss next season.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know, I mean Buffalo were right on the cusp last year and could have been something good but they're also in desperate need of goaltending it seems like, since Ullmark and Hutton aren't exactly studs between the pipes; not to say they're awful, but 60/40 splits between two middle of the pack goalies is going to land you right in the middle of the pack.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I don't know, I mean Buffalo were right on the cusp last year and could have been something good but they're also in desperate need of goaltending it seems like, since Ullmark and Hutton aren't exactly studs between the pipes; not to say they're awful, but 60/40 splits between two middle of the pack goalies is going to land you right in the middle of the pack.
Fair arguments, but still not buying that Hall based this decision on Cup contender over the money.

I was expecting Habs would sign a forward similar to Toffoli's profile/contract, just not the one I expected. I like it.

Given management has made it clear that Gallagher will get a longterm and big money extension, looks as though Tatar will surely be moved sometime next season and Danault almost certainly as well.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Forgot about that part, but yeah, Buffalo still isn't in cup contender shape by any means :lol: Even if they were to get in, I feel a round one sweep would be right in their wheelhouse

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Has Bergevin already won GM of the Year next season? Just maybe. Price/Allen being possibly the best goalie tandem in the league (rivaled by only Lehner/Fleury), just extended Allen 2 years for LESS money. Never in my life have I seen on off-season this efficient.

EDIT: Now Gallagher extension 6y/6.5m. I'm good with this.

Last edited: