NHL 2023-2024

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I imagine even with a declining team and good health that he should still be able to manage another 72 goals over his 3 year contract. It would be reasonable to assume he could still accomplish it in two more seasons, the third/final season as a safety.

This is good too I guess. How dare ya'll not share this 👀

I’m fairly certain he will break the record, I just mean the team really isn’t very competitive on a night to night basis. They still have enough talent to help him score though.

I thought that was going to end up worse than it did, he didn’t quite talk all of that hit. Shocked that he was that unaware coming up the middle of the ice though.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah Karlsson saw Ovi coming and braced for it at the last second. Ovi took as much falling over as Karlsson did from the hit on that one and was back in the play immediately.

I'm really curious to see how the Pens do tonight against Calgary without Jarry in net
EDIT: 5-2 win... not bad at all. Not exactly playing Cup contenders but I'll take it :lol:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I’m fairly certain he will break the record, I just mean the team really isn’t very competitive on a night to night basis. They still have enough talent to help him score though.

I thought that was going to end up worse than it did, he didn’t quite talk all of that hit. Shocked that he was that unaware coming up the middle of the ice though.
So still being a relatively newer fan to hockey and learning all the intricacies, if Karlsson still had complete control of the puck when Ovi hit him that would have definitely been a penalty right? Is it because he’d passed it just prior that it was considered a clean hit?

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Matthews back to back hatties. 60 plus this year?
Considering he is on pace for 286 goals this season, its in the bag.

So still being a relatively newer fan to hockey and learning all the intricacies, if Karlsson still had complete control of the puck when Ovi hit him that would have definitely been a penalty right? Is it because he’d passed it just prior that it was considered a clean hit?
You're only allowed to hit a player that has posession of the puck (and a loosely-defined fraction of a second after he releases the puck). The context/angle of a hit is also heavily considered; no hits from behind and other blindside angles. The severity of the hit in most cases is not the point of concern.

In this case, they made face-to-face contact, which is perfectly legal and in some sense the "fairest" of hits. Karlsson was distracted getting control of the puck, however he did loosely have the puck for a fair amount of time and to his credit was smart enough to take a look up/forward for any potential hits. Not quite a "suicide pass"/blindside hit.

Last edited:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You're allowed to hit the guy with the puck. You're not allowed to hit somebody trying to get to the puck (more or less). So since he didn't hit him in the head and it was right after he passed it was fine. You're allowed to finish a check if you're basically in the middle of hitting somebody and they get rid of the puck.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Edmonton is still doing Edmonton things, to noone's surprise. I hope they can get their footing sooner rather than later, although it feels like stumbling throughout the first half of the season seems to be their bread & butter.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Edmonton is still doing Edmonton things, to noone's surprise. I hope they can get their footing sooner rather than later, although it feels like stumbling throughout the first half of the season seems to be their bread & butter.
At least the final score of the second Vancouver loss was respectable... the first one was :ugh:

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Considering he is on pace for 286 goals this season, its in the bag.

You're only allowed to hit a player that has posession of the puck (and a loosely-defined fraction of a second after he releases the puck). The context/angle of a hit is also heavily considered; no hits from behind and other blindside angles. The severity of the hit in most cases is not the point of concern.

In this case, they made face-to-face contact, which is perfectly legal and in some sense the "fairest" of hits. Karlsson was distracted getting control of the puck, however he did loosely have the puck for a fair amount of time and to his credit was smart enough to take a look up/forward for any potential hits. Not quite a "suicide pass"/blindside hit.

You're allowed to hit the guy with the puck. You're not allowed to hit somebody trying to get to the puck (more or less). So since he didn't hit him in the head and it was right after he passed it was fine. You're allowed to finish a check if you're basically in the middle of hitting somebody and they get rid of the puck.
Thanks! Makes sense!

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
How to tell if the hockey season has started? When an Habs player gets an injury of course!

Still awaiting the team's official statement but Dach could be out for quite a while, rumors even mention a possible torn ACL which would keep him out of the season. Right off the second game of the year.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How to tell if the hockey season has started? When an Habs player gets an injury of course!

Still awaiting the team's official statement but Dach could be out for quite a while, rumors even mention a possible torn ACL which would keep him out of the season. Right off the second game of the year.

Damn that's rough...

AdamMaz

Reaction score
If Avs can stay healthy this year, they are the team to beat IMO. Great depth and Georgy looking strong
How has Drouin been doing?

What bothers me the most is that the play didn't look anywhere near that severe. Right as he was starting to settle beautifully into that 2C spot...

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
spinning-anakin.gif

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How has Drouin been doing?

Solid. Looks like he's still figuring out the offense, which is WAY faster than anywhere else he's played.

What bothers me the most is that the play didn't look anywhere near that severe. Right as he was starting to settle beautifully into that 2C spot...
Yeah, he was looking very good in a spot they really need him for. Considering how bad this team really is, that was a terrible loss.