Nintendo NX announcement today!

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhakan

Reaction score
I think this is a good move for Nintendo. Xbox/Playstation/PC are all competing for essentially the same gaming audience, so its smart of Nintendo to focus on portability because the other 3 don't really have any presence in that area.

This is the first console to interest me in a while because my PC handles everything better than an Xbox/PS4, but I miss being able to sit on the couch and play co-op games with friends. Since I feel like everyone outside of Nintendo has forgotten that couch co-op exists, the Switch seems like it would fill a solid role for couch coop and portable gaming without trying to outperform my desktop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I don't think I'll be getting one unless they come out with a killer app straight up, the Wii u didn't have anything good for quite a while, in fact I still thing it doesn't have anything spectacular one it.

To me it seemed like the 3/2DS would be the last dedicated handheld system, with phones so powerful why carry around a giant tablet that can only we used to play games.

But if they made Sunshine 2 I'd end up with one

Mathemagician

Reaction score
New rumor suggests that a port or Smash 4 will come later next year sometimes after launch.

I mean, of course it will. It'll buy them time until Smash 5. And Sakurai worked himself half to death on 4, so it may have a new lead developer.

Nintendo needs a LOT of games to get my interest, and it needs to pass my new 2 year test. I have to like a consoles lineup & support at the 2 year mark. This saved me from buying a Vita.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I'm not that excited about this really, but I'm sure I'll buy it day one like I always do.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Starting to go from "Will preorder" to "wait and see". I'm pretty much building a whole 4k entertainment center in the new year, first I'm debating going for a PS4 Pro, and I need to sell my current PS4 before I can do that.

But then again, I miss having access to new first party Nintendo games...

Mwoit

Reaction score
I think if you were expecting HDR 4K Nintendo, that'll be maybe the generation after the Switch. The HDR 4K market is already oversaturated by Sony and Microsoft.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Aye, Nintendo hasn't made any effort to keep up with the hardware joneses in a very long time. I still think it looks great. :shrug:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I think if you were expecting HDR 4K Nintendo, that'll be maybe the generation after the Switch. The HDR 4K market is already oversaturated by Sony and Microsoft.

And likely won't even be a real thing until at least the end of 2017 with Scorpio.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score

Oh god, I would be surprised if Nintendo even had a 4K system with whatever (if anything) comes after the Switch :lol: Keeping up with hardware is not Nintendo's game. Its their first party games that keep you coming back to their systems.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Oh god, I would be surprised if Nintendo even had a 4K system with whatever (if anything) comes after the Switch :lol: Keeping up with hardware is not Nintendo's game. Its their first party games that keep you coming back to their systems.

You say that, but people forget that the Wii U was the first system to use 1080p/60fps as its standard. Sure there were a couple games that could manage that on PS3, but almost everything on Wii U is 1080p/60fps, unless you're doing split screen or something.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
You say that, but people forget that the Wii U was the first system to use 1080p/60fps as its standard. Sure there were a couple games that could manage that on PS3, but almost everything on Wii U is 1080p/60fps, unless you're doing split screen or something.

Not true. Few (two, from what I could find) Wii U games run at 1080p/60fps. Most are 720p/60fps, others are 1080p/30fps. Examples:

Mario Cart 8: 720p/60fps
New Super Mario U: 720p/60fps
Wind Waker HD: 1080p/30fps
Nintendoland: 720p/60fps

Smash 4: 1080p/60fps in some modes, multiplayer can drop frame rate substantially.
Rayman Legends: 1080p/60fps

Mathemagician

Reaction score
The Wii-U is also basically "between" the generation of the PS3 and PS4. It was basically like what 20-30% more powerful than a last-gen system when it launched. It isn't on par with the PS4 or X-box 1. And after owning one for 4 years I would NOT call it next-gen especially given it's ....ing terrible UI, Store, UI lag, friend code ..... It plays Nintendo games and is "pretty enough" when running those games.

I'm looking forward to the Scorpio to go with my PS4. And once I beat the Wii games I still own will be unloading my Wii-u. Such a disappointment for anything more than first party games. I'm an adult with a career, my city isn't one of the few with fantastic public transit, I don't play games "on the go" and Nintendo won't give me a modern home console.

Sucks not being their target audience since I do love a bunch of the franchises. I don't expect to own a switch until the end of the lifecycle to cheaply play the 4 games I'll want.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Nintendo has been "in between" generations since at least GameCube. An arguement could possibly be made for N64 if it wasn't such a good system since it did come out after the PSone...

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
15965107_10154913457982128_7862035329579371920_n.jpg

...dammit Nintendo.