Non-djent Strandberg 8 string

• Thread starter wakjob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tssb

Reaction score
awesome. just makes me gas for an 8-string even more.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
now that's a use of 6+ strings that I can appreciate!

Reaction score
Seen this floating around Facebook a lot. Finally decided to give it a view.

...well...looks like it's time for me to start slapping the bass again and then transfer that over to my guitar. Haha! Awesome!

Mike

Reaction score
Those EMG's sound damn good lol. This is just all around awesome.

Stereordinary

Reaction score
I've been trying to tell people that 8-strings can be used for more than just metal (don't get me wrong, I love metal), but some people just don't seem to get it. Now I can just show them this video.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I've been trying to tell people that 8-strings can be used for more than just metal (don't get me wrong, I love metal), but some people just don't seem to get it. Now I can just show them this video.

While true, look at the 8 string guitar market as well as who has had commercial success while playing 8 string guitars. Also, something SSO has taught me is "one person's hard rock is another person's death metal...and vice versa...sometimes. :flame:"

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
That's beautiful.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to embark upon learning to play in this style?

I only play 7 string but I'm sure if I had the skill I could play things like this on it xD

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's beautiful.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to embark upon learning to play in this style?

I only play 7 string but I'm sure if I had the skill I could play things like this on it xD

Learn a melody to a song, then add bass notes to it and try to play them both at the same time. Work it up from there until you're comfortable playing bass+chord tones+lead melody all at once :)

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not hearing anything that would indicate the straight pick-ups in a multi-scale guitar are any problem. Anybody here anything to to indicate otherwise?

Ray

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
While true, look at the 8 string guitar market as well as who has had commercial success while playing 8 string guitars. Also, something SSO has taught me is "one person's hard rock is another person's death metal...and vice versa...sometimes. :flame:"
Think about it this way: as cyclical and inbred as metal can be, the outer fringes of metal are fertile territory for experimentation and innovation. The community is far more open-minded as well. Jazz embraces a similar mindset, and this was especially true when ERGs first emerged in jazz music decades ago. Classical guitarists have come around to the concept to a degree simply out of acceptance of the fact that some music, particularly transcriptions, is a lot easier to play with an extra string or two (or more). Interest in ERGs will come slower in certain other genres of music because of a more traditional outlook and/or a lack of perceived value.

That's beautiful.

Start learning songs by Candyrat artists.

Actually serious, you could learn it by studying the various current acoustic players who play a similar style, but the best advice I could offer here is to dig into (and I mean really dig into) classical and flamenco guitar. Spend some time on fingerstyle electric bass as well.

I'm not hearing anything that would indicate the straight pick-ups in a multi-scale guitar are any problem. Anybody here anything to to indicate otherwise?

Ray
They really aren't, it's just a different sound. The bridge in particular is akin to the angled bridge pickup on a Tele, SSS Strat, or a 3-pickup Gibson Nighthawk.

Latest posts