"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I don't drink any sodas like that anymore which is crazy, I used to love them. But to me they just don't taste as good anymore. I don't know if they changed something or if it's all in my head?

I have vivid memories when I was a little kid my grandma would sometimes buy me a glass bottle of Fanta, Sprite or Coca Cola and I thought they were delicious, super good flavor. But now it just tastes like sugar with a very small hint of flavor or aroma? And I don't enjoy it as much anymore because of that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Yeah I guess taste really does change with time and age. I used to hate the basic red Pringles when I was a kid, now it's the only ones that I buy.

Products taste different depending where you live too I think. When I was a kid I was in Ukraine and the food was so tasty. I live in Catalonia, Spain now and the vegetables and everything it just doesn't taste as good. I bet it's different for you guys in America too...

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I don't drink any sodas like that anymore which is crazy, I used to love them. But to me they just don't taste as good anymore. I don't know if they changed something or if it's all in my head?

I have vivid memories when I was a little kid my grandma would sometimes buy me a glass bottle of Fanta, Sprite or Coca Cola and I thought they were delicious, super good flavor. But now it just tastes like sugar with a very small hint of flavor or aroma? And I don't enjoy it as much anymore because of that.
Not sure where you're at, but?
Try a Mexican cola sometime. They still use the older formulas. The American Real Sugar sodas still don't taste as good as the Mexican ones. No idea why. I suppose the American version of the companies are always looking to "improve" things.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
When I started drinking a lot more water a couple years ago, the taste of soda became much less appealing. I still drink one once in a while but not like I used to... just kinda 'bleh'.
I think I had the opposite experience - I used to drink Coke like it was water and it was pretty uneventful, but then when I cut it, the odd instance I'd have some was great. Like I'd gotten used to a lower base level of sweetness or something.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I love seltzer lemon limes for when I'm eating greasy foods, your taste buds get so saturated anyways that the seltzer water just tastes like a sprite.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I think I had the opposite experience - I used to drink Coke like it was water and it was pretty uneventful, but then when I cut it, the odd instance I'd have some was great. Like I'd gotten used to a lower base level of sweetness or something.
Pretty much my drug of choice was mt. dew and after maybe resetting my taste buds, the dew tasted horrible. Now if I have a soda it's a generic sprite or ginger ale or something and those taste good but I dunno... I think I just appreciate the clean hydration of cold water now more than ever before.

Gotta add that I did try a Strawberries & cream Dr. Pepper recently and that was pretty terrific.

jaxadam

Reaction score
NRD. New racquet(s) day. What's worse than having two of the same guitar? Two of the same racquet!

IMG-8766.jpg

What's worse than having two of the same racquet? Four of the same racquet!

IMG-8767.jpg

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
NRD. New racquet(s) day. What's worse than having two of the same guitar? Two of the same racquet!

IMG-8766.jpg

What's worse than having two of the same racquet? Four of the same racquet!

IMG-8767.jpg
That post went everywhere it needed to and beyond 👌

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really didn't think I would, but I'm really enjoying this new position at Guitar Center. Can't wait until my employee discount comes into effect.....

Lord help my wallet....
You're doing something other than sales right?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You're doing something other than sales right?
Yeah, I'm the lessons manager. Basically my job to facilitate a healthy lesson environment for students, find new and keep track of existing instructors and their scheduling, and basically pushing lessons to anyone walking in the door. It's not bad, and I genuinely have a passion for passing along the torch to a new set of future guitarists, so it feels really good. I know the honeymoon phase will end, but at least it's something I feel good about pushing.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That sounds a lot better than regular sales, from what I've heard. My old band members all worked there and it was a lot of bitching lol

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
after trying Mezzo Mix in germany I never want USA coca cola again lol
It's so much more orange forward and tastes better imo.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got a 5150 Iconic 40W combo over the weekend, ridiculous amount of gain and I love it.
I keep playing that and the 15w at my local place and I really want one. More of a want than need but they sound great. I'm not crazy about the reverb but I like everything else about them.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
It's so much more orange forward
Basically being a 50/50 mix of cola and orange soda will do that. :p We used to make it all the time as kids at places that had accessible soda dispensers. Coke & orange was the most common, if you weren't going full Suicide/Sewage/Swampwater/Wrong Island Iced Tea by mixing all of the available sodas.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Alright.... my brain is fried today. I had to wake up early. And I had several moments today where I had to do things that felt kinda vulnerable and I was unprepared for them. That is to say - I think I'm in a poor state to be reading too far into things being said today.

With that in mind, today was French class day again, which is fine. There are two instructors - with the first, we've been going through some exercises and picking through some basic stuff slowly so that it's fully understood before we move on. She's being very patient with how slow I'm taking some of it in, and that's great. But I met the second instructor today, and only spoke for maybe 10-15 minutes, and I got a weird comment at one point that stuck me the wrong way. Just going through some introductions, and I make a comment about how Quebec has plenty of little pockets of Anglo communities, to which she immediately goes "well, you really need to get out of those communities" (that's as close to verbatim as I can remember right now). And there's two ways I can read this. I want to give the benefit that she means immersion is good for the learning process, which I would agree with. But it came across in the moment as disparaging Anglos in Quebec - as in, yeah, you should really stay away from those people. I really want to take the generous interpretation, but we had just finished going over how she's an expert communicator who has studied this stuff for years, has been an instructor for almost a decade, and is fluent in six languages. So, it's really hard not to think it's a really poor choice of words from someone who just finished boasting about being an expert in communication.

Uuuugh, I need a nap. I know we're saying in another thread that 30s isn't "old", but I feel like I'm 80 today.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
In my (past) experience, language teachers are usually very uptight and pretty much assholes all around, so I wouldn't read too much into it. The more they know, the worse it is.

That's how they are (usually).

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Basically being a 50/50 mix of cola and orange soda will do that. :p We used to make it all the time as kids at places that had accessible soda dispensers. Coke & orange was the most common, if you weren't going full Suicide/Sewage/Swampwater/Wrong Island Iced Tea by mixing all of the available sodas.
Nah, orange soda in the USA will not get you close to Mezzo Mix tbh. It's much more artificial tasting over here versus in Germany tbh. The consistency is also less cloying.
Maybe if you took regular Coke and mixed it with fresh orange syrup it'd be closer. Also Fanta over there tasted wayyyy better lol

Latest posts