"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
When I went to Europe for the first time a few years ago and tasted orange Fanta...

God. It's just so good. Like yeah we have Orangina but it's not like that. It's really orangy and delicious but still a soda and.... God it's so good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
When Coke made the mistake of changing to New Coke in the 80s and then had to revert to Coca Cola Classic when everyone hated New Coke, they changed the recipe, replacing cane sugar with the thick, syrupy, nasty high fructose corn syrup, and ever since then, US made soft drinks are worse than they were with the cane sugar.

For a taste of the old days, and what other countries get, try a Mexican Coke (or Fanta, or whatever). They come in the old school glass bottles, usually 500ml size, and are much better than the typical US options.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
When Coke made the mistake of changing to New Coke in the 80s and then had to revert to Coca Cola Classic when everyone hated New Coke, they changed the recipe, replacing cane sugar with the thick, syrupy, nasty high fructose corn syrup, and ever since then, US made soft drinks are worse than they were with the cane sugar.

For a taste of the old days, and what other countries get, try a Mexican Coke (or Fanta, or whatever). They come in the old school glass bottles, usually 500ml size, and are much better than the typical US options.
I've heard conspiracy theories to the effect that New Coke was a stunt to hide the switch to the cheaper corn syrup. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if that were true.

I think I remember hearing that diet coke is based on the "new coke" taste, which is kinda neat if true.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
So I’ve been a member on here a pretty long time. One thread that always pops up my mind is when someone literally listed their house for sale in the General Classifieds and the very first reply was “would you take an RG7321?”. It makes me laugh every time I think about it.

That would have garnered so many likes if the system was around then. I know I definitely sent some rep!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I cannot find this song that I have stuck in my head and I feel like i should know it. It's like a 70's NASCAR rock type song and I can hum damn near the entire song but the only words that I know are "It makes no sense to me" with a bunch of Gibbons style picking, so I'm assuming it's a ZZ Top song, but I'm probably totally wrong. I'm terrible with classic rock songs so someone please help. I feel like I need to listen to the song to get it out of my head and I can't find it.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I cannot find this song that I have stuck in my head and I feel like i should know it. It's like a 70's NASCAR rock type song and I can hum damn near the entire song but the only words that I know are "It makes no sense to me" with a bunch of Gibbons style picking, so I'm assuming it's a ZZ Top song, but I'm probably totally wrong. I'm terrible with classic rock songs so someone please help. I feel like I need to listen to the song to get it out of my head and I can't find it.
Sure it's not "Flirtin' With Disaster" by Molly Hatchet?

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Had one of those "deep thoughts" moments yesterday while catching up on The Gilded Age. Fantastic show, btw, but that's another post. At any rate, as the servants are catching wind of all the crazy happenings, my wife and I joke about how the ones who witness the most outlandish things are probably heroes of the day when the servants gather for their evening meal and they tell each other what's going on among the people that matter.

And then I realize, us peons today aren't really that different. I mean, we have an electronic version of "the important people" displaying drama beyond our reach to keep us gossping and entertained. TV is just the owner class keeping the cattle entertained while they climb over us to reach for the next goalpost.

Hmm. Wasn't that depressing when I originally had the thought, but you get the idea.

Secondary: The parallel of watching the owner class on The Gilded Age discussing the troubling undercurrent among the working class about the possibility of an 8-8-8 day and watching the current owner class gnash their teeth over any labor desire is rather funny / sad. The 8-8-8 day was proposed as 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours to do whatever you want, and the owner class at the time could not wrap their head around the idea that working class people would want time outside of work and sleep. It just didn't even register to them for the most part, though one of them did say, "Is it really so terrible that they would want some time to spend with their families?" Which basically got him an epic scolding.

And now we're being told automation will mean fewer people can do much more work, not that the same number of people can work less hours to accomplish the same goals. More things change, the more they stay the same.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so this didn't really belong in the mad or first world problem section so i'll just plop this here

the project i am on is on pause indefinitely now. So now we wait. Will I be furloughed? Fully laid off? will i be squeezed onto another project for safekeeping until things pick up again?
stay tuned. news at 11

I can't say i'm bummed about the project getting canned. But I am bummed about the thought of potentially having to move back to Canada for work if I can't find something in the US if this ends up being a long furlough. lol (no offence to my fellow Canadians)

I'm going to save that move as a last resort though. Like if it's a choice between being homeless or moving back to Canada, I guess I"ll move back to Canada 🙄 ha

..anywho. A new adventure may be on the horizon once again very soon. We shall see.🤔

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am very offended.

But yeah, that sounds frustrating. I'd hate not knowing what's coming.
haha

yeah, it's just the life of vfx. I've been incredibly lucky to not really having been in this position myself since my first year in my career. But for a lot of folks, this kind of thing happens fairly often.

vfx just isn't a normal life. I really need to find a new career that's more stable if i'm ever to make a real home music studio, but i have no other skills so I just go with the flow until the ride is over or until life takes me elsewhere lol

sleewell

Reaction score
this is the way

trv5fmdhf53c1.jpg

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll be damn! Not furloughed yet! haha

well i was, and then I wasn't. I had the choice to bump someone from another show and I said no to that so i was furloughed. But then my manager found a role for me on a real hard 911 project so i'll go onto that tomorrow. Then i'll probably be back to furlough right before christmas ha

i'll take my extra paychecks while i can get them though.🥳🥳

spudmunkey

Reaction score
My geography textbook says that "Loess" is pronounced "like 'hearse' without the 'r'."

Not only does this seem to be incorrect...but how would one even do that?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
So not like "lease"? I would have guessed it was pronounced like "less".
From what I can tell, it's supposed to be like "lois" or like "lowest" without the "t", or alternatively like "luss" or "less"

But neither "lease" nor "less" have the same vowel sound as "hearse". It's such a weird example to give. Trying to say "hears" without the "r", the closest I can get is "huss", so "rhymes with 'fuss' or 'bus'" seems like would have made more sense...

The word is based on a German origin, so I've heard some trying to pronounce it with an "ö", which I guess could kind of sound like "hearse without an r"...except the word doesn't have a "ö" in it, not even in German.

Last edited: