"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
This is so true. The road-kill scent is nothing like the raw ass marinade. They are distinctively different. I can handle extended time smelling the road-kill version but that freshly squeezed version hits different and is absolutely awful. The smell actually woke up my girlfriend only seconds after I had come inside.

I can only imagine. I had a border-collie mix that would sneak down to the river whenever he got the chance. He would roll in the most vile-smelling shit.. dead rotting fish guts, dead possum, etc and those were some of the worst smells I can recall... way worse than a rendering plant, landfill, etc... Almost nausea prompting. Large dead carcasses are right up there too once you have to move them and the decomposing gut goo starts oozing out.
If we wanna talk about smelly things:
Dairy cattle are bred-up to the point where complications during pregnancy tend to happen quite a bit more often than you'd like to think. Though even when the pregnancy goes full term, and the baby is born fine, a REAL common thing, especially in Holsteins, which were our primary specie back in the day, was the placenta not releasing properly after. It required "manual intervention" with big sulfur pill things and some rather specific massage techniques I'd rather not get into.

At any rate, what eventually came out was, bar non, including the skunk, the most vile smelling, looking, and, if you happened to lose a glove in the process, feeling things you could possibly imagine. Like, imagine the worst of the worst of horror film gore, because it was essentially burst blood vessels in a thin wrap of skin, oozing with juices, then rot it for a few days inside a cow's uterus. I haven't been around one in about 28 years (yes, I remember specifically, and for good reason) and it still makes me literally feel all shaky and pukey.

But I'm a giver, so now you all get to imagine it too.

Wait, there is one smell that ranked, if not exactly equal, certainly directly under that smell. My grandparents basement freezer was unplugged for literal MONTHS before it was discovered. We were hauling out the remains in five gallon buckets. It was literally a round trip of, "Go to the basement, load a bucket, take it outside, dump it in the bin, walk to the other side of the yard, puke, return trip." When you eventually ran out of stuff to puke up, you dry heaved on the puke part of the lap.

Thank you all for the reminder of a few of my very much not favorite things from my farm days.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Seemed like we had way more snakes 4-5 years ago and I haven't seen nearly as much since.

Rumors about the lawnmower massacre spread like wildfire in the snake republic.

source.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Found a half eaten rabbit in my backyard. Pretty sure it was a hawk or some other raptor, since it chewed the head off the neck and ate some of the organs.

If they don't eat the rest of it tonight I'm gonna chuck it in my garden as fertilizer lol

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy shit, I actually watched that movie. I am by no means a B-movie or horror guy, but my buddy in high school was and he insisted we all watch it one day. Couldn't believe it was made by THAT Peter Jackson, but then rewatching LOTR and seeing some of this up-close shots of Orcs and Uruk Hai made a lot more sense.

In other news: hey, there have been some minor weeks to the site. Still have dumb-as-hell videos in the middle of the threads list.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Dude you get very accurate accounts, experiences, and opinions here. This is a forum, the integrity of which you'll find, speaks for itself. This is a good place for honest answers. Oh, and extra points to you for starting this is the "not worth it's own thread"... lol.

Back on topic... skunks.

We have this skunk family that comes thru our yard and sometimes up on our porch. It's a mom and her two offspring. We don't see mom anymore.. think she got hit. But the two now grown kids are still here.I've many times run into em coming around a corner or something like "Oh fuck.. hey dude. sup? please don't spray me". But more and more I find that we just kinda pass one another and they don't even flare their tails much anymore. Usually if I startle them they slam their little feetsies down like..Hmmph!". Cute as shit seriously. We love 'em and maintain a calm and respectable distance but they're so used to us now that they get a bit closer than I'm 100% comfortable with but whatever... skunks kick ass.

And venomous snakes... My wife was playing with em outside the other night. We had a nest of em hatch I dunno when, but I counted nine yesterday evening. They're in our main flowerbed in front of the house. But the thing is that these things are tiny and pretty much harmless to humans... I think almost any mammal. They use their venom to paralyze or break-down their prey which is like bugs... not even big bugs. So yeah.. Idk how I'd feel about most any other venomous snakes having a den close to the house but these little guys are really cool and very chill. Southern or southwestern black-headed snake fwiw.

As far as skunks, I have a ton around my property. A couple are actually 95% pure white. Must be a recessive gene or something. I call those two Abbath and Demonaz.

I'm more of a squirrel guy though. Trained the squirrels to eat peanuts and hazelnuts out of my hands. And it's funny because sometimes they'll introduce one of their buddies to the party like "I know this is sketch, but here.... watch me do it", then the n00bs start to come round. Back porch is a pretty popular place just before winter.

As far as snakes, no fucking thanks. I see a snake and I'm running the opposite way as fast as I can and no fun snake facts are ever gonna change that. One time I had a black racer like... jump (or leap or something) onto the lawnmower I was using like the engine was churning out a double harmonic major scale. Scared me half to death.

Trash pandas are pretty cool.