"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I should have added "IME". I've had drywall anchors last years, but sooner or later, something happens and they start to dislodge/ream out or whatever. I'm studs only.com.
Also the cheap ones fail before you even fully install them. Sloppy fit right out of the gate

Last edited:

jaxadam

Reaction score
I should have added "IME". I've had drywall anchors last years, but sooner or later, something happens and they start to dislodge/ream out or whatever. I'm studs only.com.

I pretty much only use molly anchors and I’ve never had any issues and they really hold up some stuff.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
What is the fail rate on drywall anchors?
I used to work retail for a home furnishings and decor store for 10 years where we changed wall displays every month (including towel bars, light fixtures, wall art and mirrors, medicine cabinets, etc), worked for office furniture dealer/installation companies for 9 years, and my significant other is an interior designer so you can probably imagine...

I've learned to never use the included drywall anchors. Any chance I can, I would use SnapToggles. My kitchen cabinets don't align properly to studs and are completely hung by SnapToggles for years, including an over-the-ramge microwave. And I'm in earthquake country.

If those would make too-large of a hole that won't be covered by what I'm trying to hang, then I will scale back to smaller toggle bolts like these:

Screenshot_20240504-142300_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I will always use the largest size I can get away with, and at least 1-2 more than what one might think would be needed if I can.

Sure, if I can hit a stud, great...but unless it's something that will be forcefully yanked on, like some exercise equipment or a TV on one of those pull-out articulating mounts, I wouldn't hesitate to rely on SnapToggles or toggle bolts

Wall mounts for expensive guitars, wall cabinets, heavy framed mirrors or shelving, etc? No problem with using toggles. But fuck these rinky-dink trash anchors:
Screenshot_20240504-143214_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
No chance I am ever gonna have the balls to mount my guitar hangers to anything except studs.
Amusingly, I've had a mirror nearly fall because I depended on a stud.*

*ok, so it was actually my fault because I didn't make sure I was hitting the middle of the stud, and was actually only barely grazing the side, and the screw wasn't fully seated in wood and pulled out... 😅

Last edited:

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kind of realizing that selling stuff is something I really like. I'm sure most of us here love the feeling of "the hunt" for the next instrument, but I feel like the "catch and release" is underrated as part of the GAS experience.

If I could think of a reasonable way to sell instruments as a part-time job from home, I absolutely would. I'm home 6 days a week and spend a lot of time doing work on guitars as it is. Often I'll buy a guitar new, fix all the bullshit that slipped past QC, find that the guitar is good but I don't bond with it, and move on. It's the "making a profit" thing I have no way of dealing with because of how tight margins are for nobodies like me. Rarely do I have any luck flipping from Craigslist buys because everyone seems to overvalue their used garbage these days. I'm still keeping the dream alive though. Never know.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm kind of realizing that selling stuff is something I really like. I'm sure most of us here love the feeling of "the hunt" for the next instrument, but I feel like the "catch and release" is underrated as part of the GAS experience.

If I could think of a reasonable way to sell instruments as a part-time job from home, I absolutely would. I'm home 6 days a week and spend a lot of time doing work on guitars as it is. Often I'll buy a guitar new, fix all the bullshit that slipped past QC, find that the guitar is good but I don't bond with it, and move on. It's the "making a profit" thing I have no way of dealing with because of how tight margins are for nobodies like me. Rarely do I have any luck flipping from Craigslist buys because everyone seems to overvalue their used garbage these days. I'm still keeping the dream alive though. Never know.
I've never run them, but I'm nearly certain the numbers are brutal. There are so many people out there, you would think that if it could be profitable it's already been done.

Even if you buy beaters and fix them up, you're going to deal with returns, damage in shipping, fees, shipping. My sense is also that guitars are a down market.

I still think you should keep the dream alive, though! Maybe a few here and there and see if it works for you?

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Y'all ever sell a piece of gear to someone who comes by to test it and they're so good at playing that you don't even want to look at a guitar for the rest of the day? Just happened lol

Sold an old combo amp and this dude shows up looking like he stepped out of the 70s with a leather jacket, boots, oversized glasses, the wide brimmed hat, long hair etc

I told him I'd have a guitar for him to test the amp but he's got a gibson case in hand and a seriously nice gold top les paul in there.

Proceeds to make an old solid state sound like a cranked plexi and plays a bunch of blues-rock licks with perfect dynamics.

I'm just going to go do some housework now lol

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never run them, but I'm nearly certain the numbers are brutal. There are so many people out there, you would think that if it could be profitable it's already been done.

Even if you buy beaters and fix them up, you're going to deal with returns, damage in shipping, fees, shipping. My sense is also that guitars are a down market.

I still think you should keep the dream alive, though! Maybe a few here and there and see if it works for you?

Yeah I sell about 15-20 guitars a year doing the buy and repair thing. Probably about as big as its gonna get for me which is honestly fine. Lost enough money last year that I got a nice tax return XD

jaxadam

Reaction score
I don’t know what the question is but the answer is no.

IMG-9941.jpg

Reaction score
So it's been pretty much accepted that Hellhammer of Mayhem is a white supremacist and other members of the band seem to lean that way as well....Why does no one ever talk about the fact that Hellhammer is the most "ethnic" looking nordic person in existence?

Every time I see a pic it's striking how non-white he looks, especially when taking pics next to other Norwegians yet the only info I ever find on him just states he's simply Norwegian.

HELLHAMMER WHERE YO PARENTS AT? I NEED TO SEE SOMETHIN REAL QUICK.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I could see that going either way... Really good or really ass.

Unfortunately most of the latest mountain dew flavors I've noticed or what my daughter has brought home have been ass.

Was Mountain Dew always as flat as it is now? Don't know if I'm getting Berenstain Bear'd but while it was never the most carbonated, I feel like it used to have more. Every time I try a 20 oz bottle it seems half flat. I know there's a lot of syrup but damn.

Just further proves Fountain Dew > bottles/cans

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was Mountain Dew always as flat as it is now? Don't know if I'm getting Berenstain Bear'd but while it was never the most carbonated, I feel like it used to have more. Every time I try a 20 oz bottle it seems half flat. I know there's a lot of syrup but damn.

Just further proves Fountain Dew > bottles/cans
I don't drink much soda these days, especially if it's caffeinated. I'll occasionally take a sip of the wife's Dew, but I couldn't tell a difference between now and years past.

I will say out of the can is best for Dew (or Pepsi), fountain next, plastic bottle last.

Latest posts