Adam Jones' tone through plugins

Convenient Cabbages 69

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Specifically Jambi from 10,000 Days. I've been obsessing over this for a couple weeks now. I have a decent collection of plugins but I just cannot get there. How does he get his tone so dark without it becoming a muddy mess?

I've read a hundred times how he blends his diezel / marshall but what no one ever tells you is how to dial them in. Instead of sounding like shit through one amp, I just sound like shit through two at the same time.

The closest I could get was by blending archetype rabea and otto 11 11, but I tend to get stuck in a loop of boosting until I get the note definition and clarity I want, but then gaining too much brightness so I bring the lows up, but then it becomes a wooly mess and the loop begins again from the beginning with a different set of IRs or whatever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That Jambi tone is gonna be hard to accomplish and is the definition of studio wizardry. Not only was there Marshall Superlead (yes, Superbass modded to super lead specs) and Diezel, but also some Rivera and Bogner. They split the signal into multiple amps (3 or 4 at a time?) and recorded them simultaneously.

This info came straight from Evil Joe himself iirc, so it's not Adam trolling like he likes to do lol

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Specifically Jambi from 10,000 Days. I've been obsessing over this for a couple weeks now. I have a decent collection of plugins but I just cannot get there. How does he get his tone so dark without it becoming a muddy mess?

I've read a hundred times how he blends his diezel / marshall but what no one ever tells you is how to dial them in. Instead of sounding like shit through one amp, I just sound like shit through two at the same time.

The closest I could get was by blending archetype rabea and otto 11 11, but I tend to get stuck in a loop of boosting until I get the note definition and clarity I want, but then gaining too much brightness so I bring the lows up, but then it becomes a wooly mess and the loop begins again from the beginning with a different set of IRs or whatever.

I dont want to say what you are thinking because I havent asked yet but one downfall I ran into when trying to emulate tones from records is I had a deep misunderstanding of how those sounds are created. Its almost impossible to achieve any recorded album tones with just one plugin or setup. That insane tone is created using multiple amps, multiple extra tracks, that merge together with all the frequencies produced by the bass, drums, and vocals. I learned this with Architects music for the AOGHAU. I could never find a plugin or amp setting that will give me that "Doomsday" or "Match Made In Heaven" tone by itself. He uses a lot of single notes, but he layers so many guitar tracks in there that it sounds massive..... i can only get so close.

I dont know if thats the position that you are in but im hoping my experience helps.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Funny enough..Vtar amps has an amp literally called the Jambi, with the artwork and all. It was apparently inspired by that tone but I don't think it actually does that. It's just a great high gain amp sim.
View attachment 143930
I'm absolutely shocked you didn't come here to talk shit about tool. Are you okay?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
people do that? blasphemy! lol
I was a yuge tool fanboi from ~16 onward, I've got the eyeflame tat and everything, and even I could understand why people found them annoying. Also they haven't made interesting music in like 20 years. Also MJK is a sex predator. I still listen to them on occasion because I formed such a deep relationship with the music when I was younger but man it just doesn't hit the same.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I was a yuge tool fanboi from ~16 onward, I've got the eyeflame tat and everything, and even I could understand why people found them annoying. Also they haven't made interesting music in like 20 years. Also MJK is a sex predator. I still listen to them on occasion because I formed such a deep relationship with the music when I was younger but man it just doesn't hit the same.

i shouldnt have put myself out there sounding like i was trumpeting their pwnage of all, but Aenima is part of my weekly workout regimen for Drop D tuning. I dont really follow the personal lives of musicians since I NEVER meet them, so for me its only about whats on that album or track. Not surprised to hear of another lead singer with issues in impulse control, but as adults ya gotta know when to say no.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
There’s a couple guys over at TheGearForum that have come up with some pretty killer AJ tones using plug-ins and modelers, I think there’s been a couple threads about it-

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
i shouldnt have put myself out there sounding like i was trumpeting their pwnage of all, but Aenima is part of my weekly workout regimen for Drop D tuning. I dont really follow the personal lives of musicians since I NEVER meet them, so for me its only about whats on that album or track. Not surprised to hear of another lead singer with issues in impulse control, but as adults ya gotta know when to say no.
you're good, I didn't take it that way. definitely understand making that separation. I also never skip on an opportunity to bring it up because I figure there are other people like me out there who are probably a little too worshipful of their idols and could use a reality check. all that said I was jamming 46&2 in drop A the other day and it's a fuckin riff. AJ has had a huge influence on my playing and it's there to stay.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Trying to 1 for 1 with expensively recorded album tones is usually a tail-chasing endeavor because the final result is built on a variety of amps, cabs, mics, rooms, mic preamps, compressor, probably an analog board and then all the other stuff supporting it that includes all of that stuff, too. If you feel like you’re really close but it’s too bright just slap a tilt eq at the end and be happy with close enough.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Trying to 1 for 1 with expensively recorded album tones is usually a tail-chasing endeavor because the final result is built on a variety of amps, cabs, mics, rooms, mic preamps, compressor, probably an analog board and then all the other stuff supporting it that includes all of that stuff, too. If you feel like you’re really close but it’s too bright just slap a tilt eq at the end and be happy with close enough.
not to mention other instruments. realizing that most of the bass in my favorite guitar tones came from... wait for it... the bassist, was an instrumental realization in being able to compromise with "good enough" tone

Reaction score
I'm absolutely shocked you didn't come here to talk shit about tool. Are you okay?
I used to hate Tool but I've learned it's more the fans I hate than the band. Sure lots of Tool music goes on forever without doing anything interesting but they do have a few good songs and I think Maynard is one of the greatest rock vocalists ever.

That being said you couldn't fucking pay me to set foot in a Tool concert.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, won't miss a Tool concert when they come through town. Not if I have a choice.

I also like Sleep Token a lot.

Go ahead and prep the tar and feathers.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
not to mention other instruments. realizing that most of the bass in my favorite guitar tones came from... wait for it... the bassist, was an instrumental realization in being able to compromise with "good enough" tone
Every guitarist who tone hunts eventually learns this lesson.. i hope :lol:.

This is why i always ask how the whole band sounds as a unit when someone says x is wrong with their tone.

Playing at home alone? Do whatever makes you happy. Playing with others? Everyone should work together to sound great as a whole.

This is also why Im hesitant to put much effort into dialling in my doom rig - no bassist yet and one of the other guitarists needs a better/bigger amp.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

Bass on zero. Seriously. The actual bass fills in those bits.

Convenient Cabbages 69

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys... Guys, guys. Guys.

I was gonna spend a fun weekend checking out that pullthrough thing Jones tends to do and move on with my life. But I literally havent been able to do anything other than chase that Jambi tone for weeks now. I'm not even trying to get 100% to the record, just close. Just a little taste. But I cant and I'm beginning to lose my mind. I dont want to walk this road anymore but I'm unable to stop.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
you're good, I didn't take it that way. definitely understand making that separation. I also never skip on an opportunity to bring it up because I figure there are other people like me out there who are probably a little too worshipful of their idols and could use a reality check. all that said I was jamming 46&2 in drop A the other day and it's a fuckin riff. AJ has had a huge influence on my playing and it's there to stay.

theres only one man that made me look deeper into who he was and what he stood for. Hes the only one of my idols i ever wanted to meet.....

Tom Searle of Architects

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Guys... Guys, guys. Guys.

I was gonna spend a fun weekend checking out that pullthrough thing Jones tends to do and move on with my life. But I literally havent been able to do anything other than chase that Jambi tone for weeks now. I'm not even trying to get 100% to the record, just close. Just a little taste. But I cant and I'm beginning to lose my mind. I dont want to walk this road anymore but I'm unable to stop.

it really is a lot of HOW are you playing it? Are you playing that rolling riff correctly and with low gain and the pulloffs?? thats really what its about for that Jambi tone, is playing it correctly.