"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
My classic repeatable fail is putting extra cooked food in the microwave to cool before putting it in the fridge and forgetting that I stashed it in the microwave. Happens about once a week.

I can't leave anything out to cool because my cats want all my food.
Just put it right into the fridge. You're just risking food poisoning by leaving it out to cool down.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Just put it right into the fridge. You're just risking food poisoning by leaving it out to cool down.

true. I use a laser therm and a probe to ensure items haven't been in the danger zone. the real kicker is remembering i put it there. we are typically talking 10-15 minutes for boiling hot soup here, not hours.

Why? I'm sick of Tupperware blowing off their lids like a damn grenade in the fridge.

I spent a week in the hospital with campylobacter poisoning from cross contamination of raw chicken from a restaurant and shit blood and the neon "tmnt II secret of the ooze" substance for quite awhile so I like to think I'm pretty safe so I don't have a repeat of that lovely time.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What gets me is when I'm at a cookout and see an uncovered aluminum foilware tray with burgers, dogs, and sausages just hanging out in the open air for an hour or two :wallbash:
I'm less concerned with the temp than I am with the fly shit.

Regarding going directly into the fridge, my only concern is anything thats hot-hot and the condensation or whatever a hot dish might so on a cold glass shelf. I think my general go-to is to transplant it into a sealed container and put it in the fridge when its warm-ish to the touch.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
What gets me is when I'm at a cookout and see an uncovered aluminum foilware tray with burgers, dogs, and sausages just hanging out in the open air for an hour or two :wallbash:
Nah, if anything you should be worried about mayo laden egg salad. Or anything with eggs. That tends to be a super common source of food poisoning.

Cooked meats, particularly cured ones like hot dogs are generally pretty low in risk for food poisoning.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I once accidentally put mayonnaise instead of icing all over cinnabuns and didn't notice until I had already started on the fourth one, and I fucking hate mayonnaise. I'll take some fly bitten grill dogs any day, boiled dogs are not food though.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Never had mayo in my life and haven't eaten anything with egg as the showcased ingredient in years, so that's good.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Hell nah. And I tried ketchup and mustard once ages ago and have no interest in ever having them again. hated them.

Only condiments I ever use are hot sauces of all types which I use on almost everything, and barbecue sauce, of which I prefer the Eastern NC style but I'll take any kind really. (some BBQ sauces use ketchup or mustard as ingredients sure, but on their own, I'm alllll set)

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I got addicted to hot sauce for about a month straight. I was drinking it (the good ones, not the south eastern ones cut to hell and back with vinegar), but had to stop because my palms and bottoms of my feet began to itch uncontrollably. The only thing that stopped it was running them under scalding water, and that would buy me about 20 minutes of relief afterwards. Now I just relegate myself to one bowl of volcano mongolian beef noodles a week or so and I'm decently satisfied. I don't want to get back into chasing the heat dragon.

"My feet itch!" - Mike Patton

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I got addicted to hot sauce for about a month straight. I was drinking it (the good ones, not the south eastern ones cut to hell and back with vinegar), but had to stop because my palms and bottoms of my feet began to itch uncontrollably. The only thing that stopped it was running them under scalding water, and that would buy me about 20 minutes of relief afterwards. Now I just relegate myself to one bowl of volcano mongolian beef noodles a week or so and I'm decently satisfied. I don't want to get back into chasing the heat dragon.

"My feet itch!" - Mike Patton

What do you think was causing the itching? That's interesting.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I reluctantly gave up hot sauce almost entirely since my gallbladder was removed. Fucking laaaaaame.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hot sauce either caused or exacerbated my silent reflux, and my doctor told me I could potentially work towards solving it by not eating as much, and you better believe there was almost a shooting that day.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I used to raise hot peppers for hot sauces and spice mix. The spice mix was a blend of dried peppers, mustard seed, garlic, and a few other sundries. At any rate, I had a squirrel coming after my tomato plants, so stealthily snuk a habanero in between the tomatoes the next spring.

And I was lucky enough to witness when the little bugger tried to steal a habanero. You know how squirrels do that little chatter thing and it can get rather angry sounding if they're really throwing into it? Yeah, I got about twenty minutes of that while this dude ran around carrying a gnawed on habanero, waving it around at other squirrels like he was going, "Taste this shit! Can you believe the gall of this fucker?" One of the most entertaining morning watering routines of my life.