"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what quality differences people think are solved using CNC. Aside from the very cheapest of the cheap, were people really having problems with bad shaping or inaccurate body sizes? Maybe wonky neck alignment from bad pockets, improperly-placed frets or badly crooked pickups and bridges?

In my head, most of the QC issues were for things that were, and still are, largely done by hand: sanding, assembly, fretwork, wiring/shielding, finishing...or things that are caused by low quality materials and components like cracked/ugly wood, unstable or warped necks, tuners that won't hold their tension, trema with knife edges and saes made out of marzipan...none of which disappear with the use of CNV

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with WMI produced guitars. From the 2000s I've had Hamers and PRS SEs made by WMI, going up to my Schecter Apocalypse (assuming it was made by WMI) and they've consistently been of very good quality. Like everything else they used to be a lot cheaper than they are today; used to be I knew I could search out a Korean guitar for an excellent balance of value and quality at very low prices but they've gone from the budget range into the $1000+ range in terms of new production.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe wonky neck alignment from bad pockets, improperly-placed frets or badly crooked pickups and bridges?

As someone that did it by hand for 10 years before i touched a CNC, yeah pretty much and those are significant concerns. Also can't tell you how many bridges and pickups i routed with a template that shifted or bearing that burned up and caused the cut to wander.

I've thrown out thousands of dollars of half finished projects just from those things.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any good 7 string guitar builder kits? Just looking for a bolt on, wire up, then finish it myself deal.

Solo Music Gear is reported to have decent enough kits. They only have one 7 atm but it's an ibanez knockoff with the jem style inlays.

Guitar Kit World has some but they're too expensive imo for a gamble, and BYO has one for a good price but there's a mystery hole in the body below the neck humbucker and my morning brain can't figure out why.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I think I beat GAS. I haven't bought any new gear in 5 months. That's a long time, right? 😅
Does it come in waves, and I'm just in a lull?
still haven't bought anything, but have a strong desire to buy anything to fill the anxious/depressed hole in my life 😂

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Solo Music Gear is reported to have decent enough kits. They only have one 7 atm but it's an ibanez knockoff with the jem style inlays.

Guitar Kit World has some but they're too expensive imo for a gamble, and BYO has one for a good price but there's a mystery hole in the body below the neck humbucker and my morning brain can't figure out why.
BYO-7STRING-BlackoutMed.jpg

Yea, that's some bullshit. Like Crungy said though it looks like you can get them without pots drilled. What kept me off this kit before was the pickup rings.

Latest posts