"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
God I dislike the demographic of Talkbass sometimes. So many oldheads and know-it-alls. A fairly well-known person in internet bass stuff came out as transgender and there's been a bit of mean-spirited bullshit getting posted in critical opposition of it over there-straight up hateful stuff as well as jokes. Fortunately the mods are banishing the comments that are out of line. I just can't believe anyone fucking cares what gender identity someone has these days. It's like back in the day with the anti-gay rhetoric....why people care who other people spend their alone time with will always confuse me. Those who oppose must live in a lot of fear and insecurity on the regular. This is bordering on political so i'ma leave it all at that.

Some talented luthiers over on that forum though.

jaxadam

Reaction score
God I dislike the demographic of Talkbass sometimes. So many oldheads and know-it-alls. A fairly well-known person in internet bass stuff came out as transgender and there's been a bit of mean-spirited bullshit getting posted in critical opposition of it over there-straight up hateful stuff as well as jokes. Fortunately the mods are banishing the comments that are out of line. I just can't believe anyone fucking cares what gender identity someone has these days. It's like back in the day with the anti-gay rhetoric....why people care who other people spend their alone time with will always confuse me. Those who oppose must live in a lot of fear and insecurity on the regular. This is bordering on political so i'ma leave it all at that.

Talkbass? Who would even want to play bass, much less talk about it!

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it is mostly a bunch of older guys in wedding and bar bands who play 4 hour cover sets on the weekends and argue about which overpriced fender-shaped-object has the best mojo. Tack 20-25 years on everyone's age here and replace "Used Prestige" with "P-Bass" and "I bought my home with cash in 1990" and you get the general idea.

Hopefully my comments don't trigger a karate kid situation where a bunch of boomers show up to the sso dojo :lol:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I like talkbass but I agree it's a lot of know it alls. I learned a lot from TB back in the day, there is a lot of good information and some helpful people there. Very much agreed it's a P bass/Jaco only needed 4 strings/etc echo chamber filled with old dudes.

Sad to see there's that kind of ignorance and hatred towards some transgender. Especially when it's supposed to be a kid friendly forum.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree with you. I just felt a little annoyed by the recent dumbassery. The way of the world I guess.
It is annoying, and I think some of that mentality along with the TB pecking order gets tiring. The old man grumbling and lack of willingness to be helpful to youngsters or people new to the instrument is disheartening.

SSO gets all of my time now. I find far more like minded people here that are knowledgeable AND helpful. And also used prestige.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I remember a time when playing music was supposedly associated with "punk" and "counter-culture" and "embracing the weird" and not-fitting-in kinds of stuff, which seems like anyone from any minority would be able to find a home in, because in some ways it was the whole point for some folks. Like we forgot which machine we were supposed to be raging against.

In entirely unrelated news, there was a weird moment over the weekend that's just stuck with me and I can't unstick it from my brain:
I went to visit some family, and while I was there I took out my laptop to show something to my mom. These are parents who used to all the time rant about the importance of taking care of your stuff. We were sitting outside on a rough old cement front porch thing, so she proceed to go "here, let me see", grabbing this relatively new laptop of mine, and scraping it towards herself across the cement bricks. Like WTF is wrong with you? What happened to "take good care of your stuff"? Don't you work in tech support and repairs for a company that sells these things? I am so baffled by their disregard of my stuff. Who in their right mind scrapes someone else's laptop across a cement brick? I'm not even sure that it registered what she was doing. I'm just baffled.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I remember a time when playing music was supposedly associated with "punk" and "counter-culture" and "embracing the weird" and not-fitting-in kinds of stuff, which seems like anyone from any minority would be able to find a home in, because in some ways it was the whole point for some folks. Like we forgot which machine we were supposed to be raging against.

In entirely unrelated news, there was a weird moment over the weekend that's just stuck with me and I can't unstick it from my brain:
I went to visit some family, and while I was there I took out my laptop to show something to my mom. These are parents who used to all the time rant about the importance of taking care of your stuff. We were sitting outside on a rough old cement front porch thing, so she proceed to go "here, let me see", grabbing this relatively new laptop of mine, and scraping it towards herself across the cement bricks. Like WTF is wrong with you? What happened to "take good care of your stuff"? Don't you work in tech support and repairs for a company that sells these things? I am so baffled by their disregard of my stuff. Who in their right mind scrapes someone else's laptop across a cement brick? I'm not even sure that it registered what she was doing. I'm just baffled.
I once had a boss at a seasonal gig I was working try to sharpen my pocket knife on the corner of a cinder block. I about fucking stabbed him with it.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score

I don't know how old your mom is, but parents get older... and weirder. "This is not the person who raised me" is a frequent thought of mine :lol:

It seems that at some point they just stop giving a fuck about things. I'm constantly surprised by my mom's, um, "excentricities" and she's perfectly healthy and not even 70 yet.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I just can't believe anyone fucking cares what gender identity someone has these days.

Yeah, who cares? Let people be happy, or as happy as they can be. If anything, the world will be a better place with happier people living on it.

Rock music in general (punk, hardcore, metal, whatever) is and has been conservative for a good while now. People who play these kinds of styles got older and more conservative, as it happens to a lot of people everywhere.

Some of us are parents listening to music made by people who already have grandkids :lol:

Rock music and its "culture" have been assimilated, it's just something some people do like watching football or playing video games. Nobody cares about it, nobody is afraid of it.

Not that I like the way things are going, though.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Hopefully my comments don't trigger a karate kid situation where a bunch of boomers show up to the sso dojo :lol:
Great dude nice goin' you just went and created 22 new bands I hope you're happy with yourself

I don't know how old your mom is, but parents get older... and weirder. "This is not the person who raised me" is a frequent thought of mine :lol:

It seems that at some point they just stop giving a fuck about things. I'm constantly surprised by my mom's, um, "excentricities" and she's perfectly healthy and not even 70 yet.
Phew so it's not just me; lol. I feel like my folks turned into completely different people after I grew up and moved out. It's interesting playing the guessing game of 'was X something that you didn't really believe and just reflected a value or something you wanted to instill in your children, or did you just change?'
And yeah their give-a-fuck-o-meter has never been lower :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
"This is not the person who raised me" is a frequent thought of mine :lol:
I've ranted about a good amount of family nonsense in other threads - this has also been a frequent thought of mine in the last few years. A lot of effort has been put into just letting things go instead of being salty about every perceived but probably not intended slight.
I feel like my folks turned into completely different people after I grew up and moved out.
We went through the experience of seeing what happens when you're on your own for 15-20 years and then move back in. 0/10. Do not recommend. I can't tell if they've changed, if they're different people than they used to be, or if this is who they always were and we were just shielded from it by some mix of naivety and parental self-censorship or something.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is this as funny and/or sad as I think it is?

I'm assuming Guitar Tuna is an app if they're talking about paying for it, along with the pop-ups. I've never heard of it.

I have been using the Boss tuner app since it came out because it fucking rules and is free. Doesn't help with alternate tunings obviously, but it's a free boss tuner!

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I once had a boss at a seasonal gig I was working try to sharpen my pocket knife on the corner of a cinder block. I about fucking stabbed him with it.

I mean...you can sharpen a knife on a car window or a ceramic plate (depending on how the plate is) and some other shit you wouldn't think you could sharpen a knife on...but a cinder block? Really?

If you would have stopped him before he dulled the shit out of you knife you could have actually stabbed him.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm assuming Guitar Tuna is an app if they're talking about paying for it, along with the pop-ups. I've never heard of it.

I have been using the Boss tuner app since it came out because it fucking rules and is free. Doesn't help with alternate tunings obviously, but it's a free boss tuner!

Does it work in a noisy guitar store?