NPD: BKP Warpig In Vixen #2 (Pics/Brief Thoughts)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Here's the sequel to my Nailbomb NPD thread a few weeks ago, this time featuring the ceramic Warpig 7. I just installed this tonight, I only played it for about an hour but here is my initial impression.

First of all, this is a completely different sound than the Nailbomb, but is equally as awesome in my experience thus far. The Warpig was exactly what I hoped it would be: something that sounded great and provided brutal, aggressive, tight, heavy tone but lacked the cons often associated with ceramic high-output pickups. The Warpig fucking delivers. To my surprise even the clean tone was cool. This pickup is really powerful but it's not overly compressed or thin, it's actually quite open and dynamic for the amount of output it has. I love the pick attack and it's well balanced. The mids are right up my alley, really growly and aggressive but not abrasive or honky like the SD ceramics can be at times. Although this pickup has a similar eq curve than those, the Warpig completely blows them out of the water and sounds really unique.

The Nailbomb is definitely thicker, punchier, and warmer. Both have great lead, rhythm, and clean tones (which is really hard to pull off), however the Warpig definitely has tighter bass response and more bite. Both are great for my playing style which is cool, but both have a unique character to 'em. I'll write up a more thorough review when I get more time in with this. So far however I'm loving this.

Which do I prefer? I really don't know yet. I love them both equally for now, time will tell I suppose. Soon I'll record some comparison clips so you guys can check it out. This pickup may not be for everyone, but I'm really digging it thus far.

I'm looking forward to reading some other folks' reviews of this pickup too however, just in case any potential jackass conspiracy theorists out there think I'm making all this up. ;)

So far with my BKP experimentation I can safely say I'm 2 for 2. :metal: On to the pics...

BKP4%20018.jpg

BKP4%20019.jpg

BKP4%20020.jpg

BKP4%20021.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats Nick. The Warpig is quite a beast. I had one in a Washburn WG587V years back and loved how tight the low end was. But the guitar sounded so crap anyway that it made any pickup, sound like a turd. That is one sexy Vixen too :eek:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Awesome, I had a feeling you'd love the c-'pig! Are your Vixen's the same body woods and construction? If so it'd be great to hear direct comparison clips between the two pickups. :metal:

Now.. what's that Seymour Duncan still doing in the neck? :scratch:

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
i've got these coming in my roter custom man. am well excited to see what they're like, given i've got nailbombs in my RG.

H

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT... er... CLIPS! :lol:

Seriously, loving your reviews and pics. I'm thinking they should be collected and stickied. :nod:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Awesome, I had a feeling you'd love the c-'pig! Are your Vixen's the same body woods and construction? If so it'd be great to hear direct comparison clips between the two pickups. :metal:

Now.. what's that Seymour Duncan still doing in the neck? :scratch:

My Vixens are identical except for a couple things. The red one has poplar body wings whereas the the white one has mahogany wings. Both are neck-thru maple with ebony boards. Same bridge, nut, tuners, etc. The white one has neck binding but that doesn't affect tone I'm sure. :)

The red one is definitely brighter, that's why I opted for the alnico V Nailbomb in that one. The Nailbomb transformed that very bright guitar into a well balanced one. The NB is so thick and big sounding, though it's got plenty of attack and bite too of course.

The white one sounds naturally warmer, so that's why I opted for the ceramic Warpig in there. I definitely think the pickups compliment the wood combinations great. :yesway:

i've got these coming in my roter custom man. am well excited to see what they're like, given i've got nailbombs in my RG.

H

Sweet Hal, I can't wait to read what you think of 'em when your Rotor comes. :metal:

Seriously, loving your reviews and pics. I'm thinking they should be collected and stickied. :nod:

Haha, thanks :)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice review... but I'm with Nolly, what's that Duncan still doing in the neck :D

[action=technomancer]thinks a calibrated set of these will be going in his KxK Reaper[/action]

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice review... but I'm with Nolly, what's that Duncan still doing in the neck :D

[action=technomancer]thinks a calibrated set of these will be going in his KxK Reaper[/action]

Well I like the Duncan Jazz, but yes I plan to put a BKP in there soon. I originally planned to put the Fernandes Sustainer in the neck, but once I installed the Nailbomb in my other Vixen everything changed. :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hopefully it sounds as awesome as it looks. :metal:

It certainly does man. It sounds fucking amazing with my Mesa combo I use at home too. I'm really satisfied with my tone right now :shred:

Jan

Reaction score
I love how my Ceramic Warpig (in my C7) sounds through my POD 2.0. (which is what I use for practicing at home). However, with my ENGL FIREBALL I wasn't blown away, I'd been hoping it would sound more... low mid heavy and less high-mid noisy. I guess it may be my EQ settings though - I have only played 2 rehearsals with it and didn't tweak TOO much. But I think I'm a bit tired of my amp anyway, can't wait for the 6505 to arrive...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love how my Ceramic Warpig (in my C7) sounds through my POD 2.0. (which is what I use for practicing at home). However, with my ENGL FIREBALL I wasn't blown away, I'd been hoping it would sound more... low mid heavy and less high-mid noisy. I guess it may be my EQ settings though - I have only played 2 rehearsals with it and didn't tweak TOO much. But I think I'm a bit tired of my amp anyway, can't wait for the 6505 to arrive...

I owned a Fireball too, one of the pickiest amps ever when it comes to pickups. It's already so processed and quacky sounding that throwing a mid-heavy pickup on it can be overkill.

Trust me when you try it with your 5150 your tune will change IMO. The ceramic Warpig is absolutely mindblowing in both my VHT and Mesa. :2c:

FortePenance

Reaction score
Sweet review dude. How do you think the Nailbomb would have fared in the mahogany winged Vixen?

Latest posts