[NPD] DiMarzio MegaDrive and Lace Sensor Dually

• Thread starter XeoFLCL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
I picked up both today to replace the EMG 81/85 I had in my Futura and found out that the D-Sonic isn't a D-Sonic but instead a Megadrive. With the Megadrive being so difficult to find and my love for them (I wish dimarzio would make these again but the D-Sonic is about as good) I took it on the spot, even though it wasn't what I was after :lol:. I got a Lace Sensor Silver/Red for the neck, which does high gain leads beautifully. I wired both pickups with tap 3 way switches (single hum single), so this is my most tonally diverse guitar by far. The lace lets me get RHCP style tones on the silver, and almost P90 sounding on the red. Both initiated make a great lead pickup. The Megadrive gets a really twangy tone on the pole piece side (Think Black Light Burns - One Of Yours) and a really powerful low mids bite on the blade side, good for blues. Overall, I'm very happy with these two pickups :)

Anyways PICS!

DSCN0487.jpg

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

:agreed:

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Awesome.

And that quilt is MMMM HMMM BITCH!!

If it weren't for the amazing quilt on this guitar I honestly would've never tried it. I'm glad I did, great deal (got it on clearance for 499 because of "damaged tuners". They were just loose :nuts:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
nice. i love lace stuff.

i have the hot gold set in my strat and it sounds amazing.
Yeah, the Lace Sensor Duallys are quite literally, 2 single coils stuck next to eachother. This one in particular is a sensor silver and sensor red. It's cool because on the back, you can actually remove the pickup, and they're in no way stuck together (the single coils) though that did make wiring the on/off/on for it a little more difficult due to having the wires come out of the pickups seperately like a single coil's wires do.. instead of being insulated by aluminum and wire cover like dimarzios.... I got it right in the end :). Not to mention, tones out the ass. This is now my favorite guitar, and I wish lace would make the Dually for 7 strings. That'd bring so much to the table in terms of versatility...

6 conductor cables made this pickup very intimidating to wire, and I'm sure lots of people would be afraid to try anything with it. It took me a few hours to make sense of what was going on with this pickup, until I noticed it wasn't a humbucker, but 2 single coils SPECIFICALLY.. which means you can't wire it as you'd wire say a seymour duncan for tap. you have to go on each of the pickups and get the - and + from the center of both pickups and ground the grounds for both pickups, then go from there with your 1 hot, 1 (-) wire, and your 1 -/+ connected wire and tap.

In the end though, ingenious idea. Great pickup for those searching for lots of tones, I can easily get metal tones out of this in humbucking, then get a P90 bite on the red side, and a vintage strat tone on the silver. It actually sort of taught me a bit more about how to bunch 2 singcoils into 1 humbucker.. and gave me some mad awesome ideas.