NPD - M6 meets Crusher

• Thread starter BabUShka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BabUShka

Reaction score
So.. as some of you guys had noticed, Im still in the Honey moon phase with my newly acquired Ran Crusher 6 that came with the Blackouts.

The Blackouts sounds massive, and deliver too much output and mid scoopes for my taste. The plan was to run a pair of D Activator in the Crusher. But I came over a nice deal for a used set of Lundgren The One neck and M6 bridge and went for it.

First of all, this is the 4th guitar where I switch from active to passive, and the grounding wire is always an issue. Except for the ESP Eclipse II, which had the wires ready even though it was sold stock with EMGs.

All serious manufacturers should drill the hole and mount a grounding wire stock, regarding of pickup options - anything Else is lazyness IMO.

The second thing is that the Blackouts had long leg baseplate, same with the Lundgren with max pickup high, not possible to regulate to lower. For direct mount in the Crusher, I see that short leg would be prefered.

So, back to the story.. I went with Volume + Tone with push/pull for coil split.

Lundgren The One (neck) : it has higher output than my other neck pickups. It sounds smooth, warm and slightly compressed. Splits very well and does nice leads with lots of gains. More balanced EQ than the M6.

Lundgren M6 (bridge) :
I've heard its mid heavy, tight and clear - and thats completely true. It has a very narrow boosted low frequency responce which makes it very tight. It seems like it has a simular boosted but also very narrow spike in the mids, and medium highs. It sounds very clinic and unforgiving. But tight with a nice clear sound with lots of gains on the amp.

It does't sound thick or bass heavy at all because of the narrow lows boost. Great pickup if you like to dig in to the single notes with or without palm mutings. What surprised me is how clear it sounds. It's by far the clearest pickup I've ever tried. I played some Gojira stuff and sounds so great for the heavy digging and open chords combination. It doesnt chug as much as my C-Bomb. But I would say its more clear, glassy and lower output feeling.

Overall a fantastic pickup. I didnt notice any compression - but its just a little sterile sounding, which I like. A little bit too bright when split. Far more controllable than the Blackouts.

I'm a fan of Lundgrens now! Great match to the warm sound of mahogny. If your guitar is very bright, the M6 might not be your best choise. Would love to try the M7.

20240327_000109.jpg
20240409_140407.jpg

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with you on the ground wire thing. It should be stock on all guitars just in case.

Lundgren M-series sound huge in mahogany. The wood combo usually mitigates a bit of the sharp highs but it's tight enough to not sound muddy on the lows.

I don't agree on the compression aspect, though. They're compressed as hell. Although coming from the Blackouts anything is uncompressed :lol:

BabUShka

Reaction score
Yes, its not that its a big operation to drill a hole for the grounding, but its high risc operation imo.

Maybe its the mid jump that is fooling me regarding the compression. I just think they sound so much more open than the Blackours, EMG and a set of Painkillers that i had. Usually there some kind of short squeeze in the sound and very punchy lows, but here its just ringing really nice.

I love my C Bomb for its aggressive and tight sound, but I would not want all of my guitars to be super super tight and too aggressive . And here I think the M6 is a nice in addition. Its very precise 😄

The Crusher is set up for C# standard.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Last test I did was with my American voiced high gain amp - Madamp A15MKII.
Had some time with the JVM205 and 2x12 V30 cab this weekend. The pickup responds very different to the amps. I think it sounded much brighter on the high end and very very tight through the JVM/V30. Had to roll down the treble a little bit on the amp. Bug the chugg is much more present on the JVM - this is a really tight pickup. Still sounds very very clear and I actually had some nice time playing some black metal with it , as the higher ringing notes are ringing so nice with lots of gain on the amp.

Anyone tried "The One" or "Black Heaven" in the bridge? Might be something I will consider in near future.

Lundgren used to be higher price range before if I remember correct.(?). But with todays prices on both BKP and SD where I live, the Lundgrens are actually affordable. I can live with 160 EUR in the EU (300 EUR for a set).

Last edited:

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a set of 7 string black heavens and they are fantastic. They are medium-high output pickups that are super super clear and have slightly less mids than the m7. Highly recommend those.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Black Heavens are basically underwound M series. They're clearer/lower output sounding but still have that characteristic low mid growl of the M series ime. I vastly prefer them over the M series tbh. The compression and kind of smeary low end of the M series is much more noticeable in the 7 and 8 string versions ime.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Black Heavens are basically underwound M series. They're clearer/lower output sounding but still have that characteristic low mid growl of the M series ime. I vastly prefer them over the M series tbh. The compression and kind of smeary low end of the M series is much more noticeable in the 7 and 8 string versions ime.

Thanks for the input. I actually saw your YT video for the M7 and it was great.
If the Black Heavens or The One have slightly less treble I will consider a set for my EC1000.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I actually saw your YT video for the M7 and it was great.
If the Black Heavens or The One have slightly less treble I will consider a set for my EC1000.
Thanks. I've heard the One set is smoother in the high end, but I haven't gotten to try them yet. The Black Heavens are about on par treble wise with the M series ime.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s also worth noting that you can do the black heaven bridge in alnico instead of ceramic. That one might have a more rounded treble than the ceramic but I only have experience with the ceramic pickup.

I can say that the ceramic black heaven has a nice sizzle to it that isn’t harsh and it’s very clear sounding.

BabUShka

Reaction score
It’s also worth noting that you can do the black heaven bridge in alnico instead of ceramic. That one might have a more rounded treble than the ceramic but I only have experience with the ceramic pickup.

I can say that the ceramic black heaven has a nice sizzle to it that isn’t harsh and it’s very clear sounding.

Thanks for the input! So far my Top favourite pickups has ceramic magnets, I might be sticking to it. (C-Bomb, M6, SH5, D Activator)