NPD Seymour Duncan Nagus 7 and Sentient 7

• Thread starter Edika
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
Hey all, a few quick shots of the pickups and then the story lol!
20231124_091430.jpg20231124_091436.jpg20231124_091457.jpg

I have a Jackson DK7M that came with a BK Coldsweat when I bought it in the bridge and the SD distortion neck. The sound was ok but really meh. I tuned it to A# for the Nevermore and Revocation riffing but I was never happy with it. I tried an Omega Hades I had lying around, which was fine but wasn't as tight as I would want. I tried a BK Blackhawk set but again wasn't happy with it. I tried a set of BK Aftermaths and it was better but still something wasn't quite right.
Whenever I would pick up my other 7 strings I'd like their sound more. Especially the one with the SD Nazgul in it.

I realised I like the sound of more traditional sounding pickups and specifically the SD grind, if it makes sense. I even liked the Pegasus 7, which is a really controversial pickup it seems, more than any of the BK models. So instead of trying anything else I decided to go SD. I was aiming for a Black Winter set or find a Distortion bridge to match the neck pickup the guitar came with. But new prices have gone through the roof and used prices where in old new prices territory and I decided to wait. Then I saw the Nagus pickups in the Axe Palace Facebook bage by Nick and they picked my interest. I checked their site and prices with a Sentient neck would be more or less the same as a new set of other SD pickups in the UK. But the shipping price was quite high. I made a comment in the FB page and one of the members and Nick suggested I speak with them via IM. I did and managed to get them shipped to me in a great price with shipping included!

Pickups arrived and they look great! They do a matched Sentient in terms of aesthetics and if there's one thing to note is that the logo is slightly different. Not really something to care about but that's with SD. But how do they sound? That is a good question and it's really difficult to put things into words without the pickup jargon.

What I would say is that the Nagus has it's own sound but still has the characteristics SD grind. It high output but also clear sounding. It is as clear sounding as the BK I tried in that guitar, and even clearer, but with a better low end response and not as anemic as they were. In terms of comparison to SD pickups, I think it has the best elements of the Nazgul and Black Winter pickups. It is quite level in the EQ, without the spiky frequencies of the Nazgul and the Black Winter. So it sounds like it has more low end than the Nazgul and not as tiring of a high end as the both the Black Winter and Nazgul. The Sentient is the Sentient lol.

It fixed some of the issues of the sound I had with that guitar but it still had something lacking. So I swapped the Nazgul and Nagus with my other DK7, which sounded excellent with the Nazgul, and both of them sound amazing now.

Would I recommend it to other people? It depends what you want to do with them. If you're tired with the sound of other SD pickups and want to try something different, the yes. It is a lovely pickup that is not fatiguing to the ear and can cover a lot of ground sonically. It's not a one trick pony as the Nazgul, it's not as all out as the Black Winter while being really hot, it is really clear sounding and you can get intermediate gain sounds. Cleans are nice too. It's warmer sounding but not tubby in the low end. Great harmonincs and easy to do pinch harmonics too. It's not that much more expensive than a "regular" SD so it's an option to try. I want replace any other set on my current 7 strings, as I'm happy with the sounds I get with the sets I have. But I'm planning to get a 6 string set as I want to see how they sound in a couple of my guitars.

cmpxchg

Reaction score
Weird, I noticed this pickup on the Axe Palace site last night and was going to start a thread asking about it... I've still got a set of BWs that I'm not using. I liked them, but I found that after a while, it was just too much all the time and didn't feel very good at mid-gain. Might have to give these a shot if they're "Black Winters without some of the distinctive high end sizzle."

Edika

Reaction score
Weird, I noticed this pickup on the Axe Palace site last night and was going to start a thread asking about it... I've still got a set of BWs that I'm not using. I liked them, but I found that after a while, it was just too much all the time and didn't feel very good at mid-gain. Might have to give these a shot if they're "Black Winters without some of the distinctive high end sizzle."
They're not exactly Black Winters but they do share some of that DNA. I'd say this the most important aspect of these pickups, that the are not as piercing in the highs. I have the same issue with the BW, they're impressive sounding when you play them but after a while I feel them grating on the ears.

Just so you know the Nagus is only the bridge model. The neck is a Sentient with the logo matching the Nagus. If you like the Sentient then you can get a set but if you have one already or you like the BW neck, just go for the Nagus.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
Do you think it's worth the hype Nick was giving it?
Honestly? No. It's a nice pickup but I would not put it over the Black Winter and Nazgul. At least for my ears and taste. If you want a different SD flavor it's a really good option but I would not necessarily go out of my way to replace my current pickups with the Nagus.

I got it to fix some issues with the sound of the DK7M and finally the Nazgul was a better fit for that guitar. The pickup sounds great in the guitar I had the Nazgul but it seems, like every pickup, its guitar dependent.

EDIT: I would say I got hyped up and I paid more than I would usually pay for pickups, but it was less than current new prices for SD pickups in the UK. So that's how I convinced myself to fork the cash. But if I had the option to play it first I would not have necessarily bought it.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Nick hypes everything he sells and shits on everything he doesn't :lol:
true. I remember when he was trying to move a badlander 100 and swore it was tighter and punchier than anything else. Then a week later he said basically the same shit about the ENGL axe palace ltd edition and then the ENGL SE FE whatever the fuck :lol:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Honestly? No. It's a nice pickup but I would not put it over the Black Winter and Nazgul. At least for my ears and taste. If you want a different SD flavor it's a really good option but I would not necessarily go out of my way to replace my current pickups with the Nagus.

I got it to fix some issues with the sound of the DK7M and finally the Nazgul was a better fit for that guitar. The pickup sounds great in the guitar I had the Nazgul but it seems, like every pickup, its guitar dependent.

EDIT: I would say I got hyped up and I paid more than I would usually pay for pickups, but it was less than current new prices for SD pickups in the UK. So that's how I convinced myself to fork the cash. But if I had the option to play it first I would not have necessarily bought it.
Good to hear a more measured opinion on it.

Edika

Reaction score
Good to hear a more measured opinion on it.
Yeah, I can't understand why all the other people are so fussed about it. I mean it's not that the other pickups I've used are not dynamic and clear sounding with a harmonically rich sound lol! Some are cleaner sounding than others, some "warmer" etc etc.

It is a really nice pickup and I like it a lot more than the BK pickups I tried. But I like SD's more than BK's anyway lol!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Nick hypes everything he sells and shits on everything he doesn't :lol:

No!

fd2036e6adf6c98c8e12a4014054c6b4.jpg

Edika

Reaction score
I'd love to hear something recorded with these pickups and also compared to other pickups.
While I'd love to do that, I don't have anything setup at the moment to record. I have an interface buried somewhere and I haven't even setup a DAW on my PC to record something with plugins. Plus I'd have to play the pickups in different guitars so not sure how comparable they're going to be, as I don't want to go swapping pickups for a more controlled test! That's @KnightBrolaire job lol!

Best I could do is cellphone mic recordings but I don't think there's going to be much of a difference between them.

Edika

Reaction score
So I bought a pair of Fishman Classic Open Core and I'm happier with the sound than the Nazgul on the Jackson DK7M. I had the Nagus in the guitar I had the Nazgul initially, a Jackson DK7QM, and while it sounded really good I still liked the Nazgul better there. So I put them back in the DK7QM and yeah I like the Nazgul a lot better. It has leaner bass response and is more cutting/aggressive in the mids which I enjoy in this guitar.

But I have a LTD H1007 FM with the Pegasus in the bridge, which I like, but not as much as the others. I put the Nagus there and yeap, it opened up the sound a lot more than the Pegasus. So for my personal taste, the Nagus is surely superior than the Pegasus lol. I was considering trying them in my Schecter C-7 Banshee Elite but I'm happy with the Schecter Supercharger pickups. A lot of clarity on them. I might give a go at the Aftermaths I have laying around on that guitar.