NTD: New Toys Day

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
So, is everyone on this board getting one of these? :lol:

Happy NAD! Every clip I have heard of the SS sounds so clear and aggressive.

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
Oh shizz I didn’t know you picked up an SS100 too, what cab are you running it through?
I’ve really been learning the amp a bit over the past 3 weeks so if you wanna talk settings hit me up!
Im also realizing I think I like it better with no boosts… I’ve tried two different OD pedals and both have taken away a good bit of that clear percussive punch the amp has naturally.

I don’t wanna ruffle any feathers with a statement like this, but at certain settings this amps sounds awfully close to the dry throaty percussiveness my old Wizard Modern Classic had…very very similar

Last edited:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh shizz I didn’t know you picked up an SS100 too, what cab are you running it through?
I’ve really been learning the amp a bit over the past 3 weeks so if you wanna talk settings hit me up!
Im also realizing I think I like it better with no boosts… I’ve tried two different OD pedals and both have taken away a good bit of that clear percussive punch the amp has naturally.

I don’t wanna ruffle any feathers with a statement like this, but at certain settings this amps sounds awfully close to the dry throaty percussiveness my old Wizard Modern Classic had…very very similar

Yeah a restock popped up yesterday and I couldn't resist :lol:

Great sounding amp. I need to try it with a treble booster as the v1 I built that has all the extra features (dual gain / volume, depth, adjustable NFB etc etc) sounds great with a treble booster. That said they sound good enough straight in that I usually don't bother with boosts.

Running through a Friedman 4x12 I already had. Normal Greenback / V30 mix.

FitRocker33

Reaction score
A restock popped up yesterday and you had it today already? Do you live down the street from sweetwater? Lol

Never tried a treble booster…my khdk ghoul screamer actually works pretty well with it, and the SD1 I just got sounds good too, but like I said earlier I’ve been trying to set them to try not to take those punchy lows away from the amp..I really dig what it does in contrast to my evh stealth.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A restock popped up yesterday and you had it today already? Do you live down the street from sweetwater? Lol

Never tried a treble booster…my khdk ghoul screamer actually works pretty well with it, and the SD1 I just got sounds good too, but like I said earlier I’ve been trying to set them to try not to take those punchy lows away from the amp..I really dig what it does in contrast to my evh stealth.

FedEx ground is one day from Fort Wayne to western PA :metal: Makes Sweetwater very dangerous for my wallet :lol:

Some of it depends on when I get the order in and how fast they get it out... I ordered the LP on Thursday and the amp Friday morning and they both got here this afternoon.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
HNGD!

How do all the Friedmans compare to each other? I have constant Friedman GAS because they're so cool, but spent a lot of time with a Butterslax and can't justify it at all.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
FedEx ground is one day from Fort Wayne to western PA :metal: Makes Sweetwater very dangerous for my wallet :lol:

Some of it depends on when I get the order in and how fast they get it out... I ordered the LP on Thursday and the amp Friday morning and they both got here this afternoon.
Sweetwater is building a new western distribution warehouse very close to where I live so that could end up being very dangerous. I wonder if they'll let me just pick up stuff. THAT would be even more dangerous.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
HNGD!

How do all the Friedmans compare to each other? I have constant Friedman GAS because they're so cool, but spent a lot of time with a Butterslax and can't justify it at all.

I can understand why you wouldn't be able to justify it but techno probably plays guitar.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
HNGD!

They're all in the same ballpark but voicings and amount of gain vary from amp to amp. The Butterslax has the most gain and has always-on clipping diodes. I tend to prefer the Friedman amps with the clipping off so I would probably not go for a Butterslax. This specific amp has slightly less gain than I was expecting and is more open and maybe plexi-ish than the clips lead me to expect. I'm not one to go on about haunting mids but this thing sounds damn good. I didn't touch the fat switch so wonder if that was on in the clips. I'll find out when I play with it some more today.

It's good enough that I am considering just keeping it, and I already built the previous version with all the extra features the v2 has. I'll probably break out the switched and A/B the 2 for a while today and see if I can dial them in the same. The v2 reminds me of my build with the S switch I added in the low position.

For those still reading at this point interesting note: there are actually 4 different versions of the v1 with changes to the coupling caps / plate resistors / filtering in a couple places. I'll crack the new one open but right now I'm having too much fun playing it...

FitRocker33

Reaction score
I would be very interested to see some clips or videos of your two amps. I agree that it is a fairly open sounding amp, which I absolutely love. It can get some saturation without getting buzzy or congested. I noticed you have the channel volumes pretty low in the pic…try putting the channel volumes around 1 or 2 o clock and set system volume to 2 or more and tell me the amp doesn’t completely wake up and start moving some air

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
This specific amp has slightly less gain than I was expecting and is more open and maybe plexi-ish than the clips lead me to expect.

I might have to give clips of this a listen then. My favorite sounding Friedman from clips in the JEL sig because it seems more raw and sharp than others. I try to get the various Friedmans in the Axe FX to sound similar.