NYXL Strings

• Thread starter Nile
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on these? I bought a set for each of my two guitars and one for an incoming guitar and the sound changed drastically vs the normal D'addario's. They have just lost all of the clarity and crunchy/huge distortion in chords. They just sound muffled and undefined.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
I put a set on my Tele, they sound absolutely fantastic. I actually found them to sound a lot clearer. Definitely no "muffled" or "undefined" sound here.

knet370

Reaction score
i had varying results with this set. on my ibanez solid mahogany it sounded off. its rather dull and no clarity. on my ibanez swamp ash, it sounded huge. very defined notes on each strings. how to explain this? i cannot. lol

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
have them on my m8m, very satisfied so far.

BigBadAl

Too old to Mosh
Reaction score
I have them in varying gauges on 3 diff 6's and on my 7 , and love them
very similar to regular d'addarios but a bit more stable at holding tunings (less stretching needed) and a little beefier
not sure if worth the price difference (about %50 more where I am) ,but they are great strings,

oh and free sticker , love free stickers :)

Kobalt

Reaction score
Installed 'em on my Banshee on August 4th, still on there.

They sound good, they feel good. Is the hype/marketing all true? Quite honestly, I didn't notice the (or that much of a) difference, but that may just be me. Cannot say they are worth the extra loonies, in my personal experience, but I'm willing to give them another try.

Oreo-Tan

Reaction score
....in' wonderful. I have a set on my 8 string (9-80) and a mixed set on my 7 string (9-42 plus a regular 60) and they're everything the hype says.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
How long do they last compared to standard D'addarios? If they last twice as long before going dead, I'd like to try them out.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
I have them on all my guitars and they sound amazing and last forever. Added a good level of brightness to my guitars and added a bit of clarity. I can keep them on much much longer than any other set I've played. Highly recommend!

Oreo-Tan

Reaction score
How long do they last compared to standard D'addarios? If they last twice as long before going dead, I'd like to try them out.

Mine have been on the 8 for about a month and a half and they've still got quite a bit of life, methinks. Just got the ones on the 7 last week and they still nearly sound like new. Take that as you will.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I currently have them on my RG7321. I mainly bought them because they came with a 59 gauge string. I removed my Elixirs for these, and my first impression was how uncomfortable they were. Keep in mind that I'm an Elixir guy, and I love the soft Nano-webbing on their strings. With that said, the more I played the NYXL strings, the more comfortable they became. I've had them on my guitar for a couple weeks now, and I don't notice any discomfort (still not as comfortable as the Elixirs). Maybe my fingertips hardened a bit?

As far as sound goes, I think they're pretty good. The sound is very defined, and the harmonics are great. They do stay in tune better then the Elixirs as well.

Will I buy these again? Nope. They're too costly, and not worth the benefits I just mentioned.

stevexc

Reaction score
Oh I should mention that my strings still sound great over a month later (put them on end of July/beginning of August).

The stability of them is fantastic, too - I put them on my Tele at the same time as I put a set of DRs on my LTD (with locking tuners). Typically the Tele doesn't stay in tune as well (I suck at vintage-style tuners) but with the NYXLs I slapped the strings on, tuned them up, and it was still in tune the next day. The DRs, which I had decided to try not stretching, were a mile off within minutes, let alone the next morning. Of course they've now since stabilized and are solid as rock (plus I wound up stretching them the next day) but still. That was impressive.

I do have to say, though, that the DRs (Dimebag Signature 9-50s, with the StringLife treatment) have lasted just as long as the NYXLs.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Wound up trying a set of NYXLs a few weeks ago for the hell of it when restringing my koaberg (I just didn't change the low B).

They felt fine, I don't know if they sounded all that much better... pulled it out the other day, and while most of the strings are fine, the D is totally rusted. Not just corroded looking, but visible thick buildups of rust over the whole string. Not worth twice the price.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
They are great strings IMO. The best non coated ones on the market.

My biggest thing is how a string feels under my finger. These feel absolutely amazing and have great tone as well.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Wound up trying a set of NYXLs a few weeks ago for the hell of it when restringing my koaberg (I just didn't change the low B).

They felt fine, I don't know if they sounded all that much better... pulled it out the other day, and while most of the strings are fine, the D is totally rusted. Not just corroded looking, but visible thick buildups of rust over the whole string. Not worth twice the price.
Yeezh, that don't sound right.

stevexc

Reaction score

I'd give D'addario a shout, that sounds like a factory defect. Mine have 0 signs of wear, let alone any rust.