NYXL Strings

• Thread starter Nile
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I tried a set a didn't notice too much of a difference. Seemed to wear just as fast as normal strings do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
I like them... they settle very quickly and I tend to use them on all my warmest sounding guitars. Tend to sound a little sparklier than regular ones...

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Personally, I think the NYXL strings are just D'addario making minimal changes as an excuse to increase price of a pack of strings before giving away free strings to all artists (D'addario and non) and amateur players on the internet as marketing strategy.

These strings are 2.5x the cost of normal D'addario XL strings. But are they worth it? In my opinion: no. These strings are bright, tight, and hold tune, but that's about it. They don't feel any different, and I can get the "bright, tight, tune-holding" qualities in many other kinds of strings.

To sum up my experience:
The stability of them is fantastic, too
Yes. :yesway: I haven't tuned the guitar I put the NYXL strings on yet. (Been over a month.) The tightness in the feel and winding keeps the tuning stable very well.

They felt fine, I don't know if they sounded all that much better [...] Not worth twice the price.
Yep. Agreed on both.

I felt absolutely no difference whatsoever, cool packaging though :yesway:
Ditto.

I tried a set a didn't notice too much of a difference.
Ditto again.

I don't know where these people are saying that the strings are "dull" and "undefined". Personally, I found them to be OVERLY bright. The highest strings especially had more of those shrill qualities that I wasn't experiencing before. (The highest strings became "ice-picky".) Perhaps this could be due to the guitar I installed them in having a bright natural tone (poplar body, maple neck, maple fretboard); however, the NYXLs just sounded too shrill compared to the regular XLs. Of course, the clarity is great, and the feel is just...well...normal. Both of those qualities I can get from a pack of regular XLs.

mrmeangreen

Reaction score
I bought the 11-56 set recently for drop C and they sound amazing. The have more clarity than any other string I've tried.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Okay I like these a lot now. They hold tune really well too.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I'm not convinced. I've got a normal D'addario set on my Drop A RG752 and a NYXL set on my B standard RG752 (both 9 gauge). There's no difference in tuning stability, the normal D'addario set is slightly brighter (which I like), and the verdict is still out on if they last longer. But, I personally don't like going much more than a month on strings anyways, so do I really want them to last longer.... I don't know, probably sticking with normal D'addarios for me in the future.

stevexc

Reaction score
I'm not convinced. I've got a normal D'addario set on my Drop A RG752 and a NYXL set on my B standard RG752 (both 9 gauge). There's no difference in tuning stability, the normal D'addario set is slightly brighter (which I like), and the verdict is still out on if they last longer. But, I personally don't like going much more than a month on strings anyways, so do I really want them to last longer.... I don't know, probably sticking with normal D'addarios for me in the future.

The thing is, if your guitar is otherwise set up and strung properly, any decent set of strings should be stable once you properly stretch and break them in. The benefit to NYXLs is, in theory, you should be able to slap them on, tune up, and play.

As to your second point - do you not want "longer-lasting" strings because you prefer to change strings every month? or do you prefer to change strings every month because you're used to that being the lifespan?

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
The thing is, if your guitar is otherwise set up and strung properly, any decent set of strings should be stable once you properly stretch and break them in. The benefit to NYXLs is, in theory, you should be able to slap them on, tune up, and play.

And I've been able to do that with regular D'addarios without issue. I do stretch each individual string after putting them on, but I didn't notice any difference between tuning stability of NYXL's vs. regular after putting them on.

As to your second point - do you not want "longer-lasting" strings because you prefer to change strings every month? or do you prefer to change strings every month because you're used to that being the lifespan?

I change regular D'addarios at around a month's time due to tone beginning to deaden and corrosion starting to form on e, b, g strings (I do wipe down strings and use string cleaner after playing). Time will tell if NYXLs exceed this.