NYXL0980 8 String Set - String Taper?

• Thread starter Anquished
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Had a question regarding this particular 8 string set.

I'm planning on tuning my 7 (Schecter Omen Extreme) to F# standard. I previously tried with the regular D'addario 10-74 set and just ditched the thinnest string. It worked fine apart from the low E and B strings being far too tight for my liking and the F# being ever so slightly floppy.

I wanted to try the NYXL 09-80 set as the string gauges seem to counteract the issues I had with the previous set, however before I buy the set I'm wondering if the NYXL 80 has the taper which the regular 74 did to fit through the nut? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

blacai

Reaction score
Also interested. I "HAVE" to buy the ernie ball set because of the taper, it is shorter and It goes through the tuner.

exo

Reaction score
27" Ibby RG852mpb, string thru body Gibraltar II bridge. I have to unwind a bit to get thru the tuners. The string thru/TOM arrangement on the Omen Extreme looks like a there's a significantly longer length of string behind the saddles, so the length of string from ball end to tuner is probably actually longer than on my slightly longer scale guitar. my educated guess says you'd probably be ok.

If you're not, it's REALLY not a big deal to use needle nose pliers to unwind some of the outer wrap layer on the .080. If the NYXL 9-80 set is what you think is gonna be your best bet, just go ahead and buy it and unwind if you have to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
27" Ibby RG852mpb, string thru body Gibraltar II bridge. I have to unwind a bit to get thru the tuners. The string thru/TOM arrangement on the Omen Extreme looks like a there's a significantly longer length of string behind the saddles, so the length of string from ball end to tuner is probably actually longer than on my slightly longer scale guitar. my educated guess says you'd probably be ok.

If you're not, it's REALLY not a big deal to use needle nose pliers to unwind some of the outer wrap layer on the .080. If the NYXL 9-80 set is what you think is gonna be your best bet, just go ahead and buy it and unwind if you have to.

It's not the tuner that's the issue, I'm pretty sure I had to unwind the 74 for it anyway (can't remember). It's just the taper to fit the nut slot, which the 74 seemed to do fine. I was just curious to know if I'd have to file out the nut to accommodate the full 80 gauge.

exo

Reaction score
I will ALMOST guarantee you'll need to adjust the slot. wrap is all the way to the tuner here on the guitar I was referencing, and that's after winding down half an inch to an inch.

Last edited:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Ah that's a shame.

Weird that they do it for their regular strings and not for the NYXL.

Like you said, its not a big deal to unwind it for the tuner and modifying the nut shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks for your help!