Octave4plus Custom .375 gauge string

• Thread starter Danukenator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
Perhaps a strobe light :) I remember that awesome thread here where somebody was creating a sub-bass sample instrument to be triggered via a guitar with a MIDI pickup - the samples were made on some absurdly long bench and a strobe light was used for tuning. Same concept as a strobe tuner - it will appear still when in tune.

That's pretty genius, actually. Now comes the problem of finding amps/cabinets to reproduce the sound. Maybe just set the bass itself up to another strobe light, so when you hit that low note it just strobes the stage. You could literally use the bass itself as a visual metronome for keeping the band in time. Who needs the drummer to count "one two three" when you can just hit a Mega-Low-F#?

Silly? Perhaps... Pointless? Perhaps... More so than tuning that low? Debatable. :D

Kroaton

Reaction score
If he tunes all the way up to C (8hz) the Bag End Infrasub-18 will be able to reproduce it cleanly and clearly as day light.

He won't be able to hear it, but certain animals might. We've yet to discover any such animals as this study shows, but some day one creature might be able to go "Crah" or "Bark" or "Oogly Boogly" after hearing this low F#.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Perhaps a strobe light :) I remember that awesome thread here where somebody was creating a sub-bass sample instrument to be triggered via a guitar with a MIDI pickup - the samples were made on some absurdly long bench and a strobe light was used for tuning. Same concept as a strobe tuner - it will appear still when in tune.

Yeah, that was Variant and his Mariana bench.

ixlramp

Reaction score
O4P_1_415_2_355_2_325_2_280_40inchscale_half.jpg

Octave 4 Plus only posts photos like these to Facebook, unfortunately, so i am sharing this here, many people are not on Facebook.
From back to front: 1 x .415, 2 x .355, 2 x .325, 2 x .280. Wound for a 40" scale.
The .415 is the largest gauge string i know of, and is intended for pitches down to F000, 6 fourths below bass guitar B, approximately 5Hz. That would make 15 strings tuned in fourths possible.
http://www.garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.htm

I link again to this video of an amplified organ producing 8Hz and 4Hz pitches, showing how such tones are reproducable (with the right equipment), audible and even potentially usable in music:

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a Super thick string. I have something on the other end of that spectrum some Super High A4 Strings (also a .006 designed to B4 which sounds great on my Cozart 12 string)
images
& a super thin & strong .0067 Gauge High F#4 Bass String (also a thinner string like maybe a .006 gauge that tunes up to a G#4). These super strong Octave4Plus strings are made out of a Special Alloy that's essentially a Steel Equivalent of Italian nylgut. To get good volume on the Higher strings w/o going to thicker strings, I replaced the Original Pickups w/ Prototype Railhammer Pickups which compensate for the reduced volume by having an extra winding in the Coil. I also converted the Solid Headstock into a Slotted Headstock which puts the strings at a sharper angle over the nut.
original.jpg
I plugged the old holes in the headstock, routed out two slots on both sides, drilled the new holes on the sides & put on special made Slotted Headstock Bass & Guitar Tuners.

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." -Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
A Slotted Headstock does help the strings settle better. What if they made Slotted Headstock versions of those Electric Guitars (like they did w/ their Acoustics)? That would be cool.

Latest posts