fallenz3ro

Reaction score
Hey guys, i tried running my rig today with poweramp sims off. I assumed this would be just going into the global control and turning off the poweramp.

However, i still noticed that the presence control on the amp settings still affects the sound. Is this right? is the presence supposed to still "work"?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Hey guys, i tried running my rig today with poweramp sims off. I assumed this would be just going into the global control and turning off the poweramp.

However, i still noticed that the presence control on the amp settings still affects the sound. Is this right? is the presence supposed to still "work"?

Thanks

" The power amp simulation in a preset can be defeated by turning the SAG
control in the Amp block to zero or globally via the Power Amp Bypass switch (in the GLOBAL MIX menu). "

So I guess the SAG control is actually the function that controls the poweramp sim:
" SAG controls how dynamic the power amp simulation behaves. Higher settings simulate higher power supply impedance and thus more droop in the tube plate voltages which leads to a more compressed feel. "

So I guess the answer is yes, the presence control along with the rest of the power amp controls still function when the power amp sim is turned off globally.

Hope that helps :wavey:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
^

This will not become a sticky, there is one master sticky for all of these threads so that this section does not become cluttered with sticky threads. In future if you find any thread that you would like added to that list for quick reference please post a link in that thread and I will add it to the original post as I have done with this thread.

Great thread :yesway:

That should explain that :) Glad you like the thread though! :metal:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Know what MSRP is do I. :yoda:

I'm 99% sure these prices haven't fluctuated at all, but I almost seem to remember that the Standard used to be like $1800? So that's why I'm asking. Did they ever go "on sale" as a permanent price drop a long time ago?

It's taking too long to sell all my gear :wallbash:

That was back when there was a waiting list... Ultras were listed high too. But when your number came up on the list you got a "discount code" that knocked the price back to what it is now. So the price really hasn't changed at all.

Richardscuro

Reaction score
I finally have all my money together for my Ultra and when I went online to order I found out that they just sold out this morning. They will have more available by next wednesday and they're suppose to contact me when they're available. I guess I can wait until then but dammit I want it now! :wallbash:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally have all my money together for my Ultra and when I went online to order I found out that they just sold out this morning. They will have more available by next wednesday and they're suppose to contact me when they're available. I guess I can wait until then but dammit I want it now! :wallbash:

I had that same problem when I bought mine :) There's clearly a pretty huge demand for these things... the Atomic stuff is also sold out a lot of the time. Let's just hope they keep building the units to the same quality as before and don't start to skimp out just to make more efficient production to meet the demand. That would suck :noway:

Richardscuro

Reaction score
I had that same problem when I bought mine :) There's clearly a pretty huge demand for these things... the Atomic stuff is also sold out a lot of the time. Let's just hope they keep building the units to the same quality as before and don't start to skimp out just to make more efficient production to meet the demand. That would suck :noway:

I think the reason why they continue to have issues with selling out is probably because they continue to refuse to compromise........Atleast I hope so. :lol:

migreeni

Reaction score
Question: Do I really need a power amp between the axe and my cab, or can the axe simulate the power amp too? (I know it can, but don't know if it includes the cab sims). I got just about enough money to get an axe-fx and a fatbottom cab :p

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
You need to have something to drive the speaker- you can record using the power amp and cab sims but you need an amplifier (be it a rack power amp, an active FRFR monitor, or something else) if you want it to make noise. Axe-FX+ normal guitar cab alone= no noise.

migreeni

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'm all new to this rack stuff, so could you guys recommend me some nice affordable power amps? And cab suggestions are also very welcome! The rig must handle an eight string and I play mostly metal.

Richardscuro

Reaction score
You can get a Mesa 2:90 for a reasonable price used on ebay or craigslist most of the time. That's what I will be using. I don't have my Ultra yet (as you can see from my post above) but everything I have every used with that thing has sounded amazing.

rasse

Reaction score
Im kind of in the same boat as migreeni. Just about to pull the trigger on a standard and am thinking what I need to have with the axe for home recording and playing. Is it possible to have the speakers set up for your computer and the axe at the same time? So I'll be getting an affordable speaker system and an affordable power amp with the axe then? Im also new to this whole digital/recording stuff.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Strictly for home use and recording, all you need is:

-Axe FX
-Recording interface (count 400$ for a good one, half of that for an ok one)
-Monitoring actives speakers (count 300$ for a decent pair)
-A PC
-DAW software. (ranges from free to thousands of dollars)
That's it.
You absolutely don't "need" a power amp and cab or FRFR monitor, which would then require you to actually mike them back into the recording interface, meaning you'd have to play loud and have adequate recording room dynamics.

rasse

Reaction score
thanks for the quick answer. any recommendations on the recording interface and/or speakers? I have no clue on this kind of stuff since I've just lately started looking at the possibilities and looking at the selection now is kind of intimidating.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Primary selection for interface is whether you want USB or firewire as a link to your PC.
I'd advise USB as Firewire is now obsolete and a legacy tech.

Second is whether you want MIDI in/outs. I'd advise a heavy YES since your Axe-FX can get some use of that (using the axe-edit and updating firmware directly withoutthe need for another cable)

So, using the thomann web site, we're left with (euro prices but you'll get an idea):

Search Results - Page 1 - Irish International Cyberstore

You can then select how many input/outputs you need, I'd advise at least 4 since one day you'll want to reamp signals through your axe-fx and won't want to spend your time plugging/unplugging cables. Then pick according to your budget. ^^

As for monitors, I'm currently using Alesis M1 but they're WAYYYY too bassy. :(
I need to buy some more transparent ones, I've heard lots of good of the rokits.

If I had to buy one today I'd go with
http://www.thomann.de/ie/motu_ultralite_mkiii_hybrid.htm

Edit: if for whatever reason you want to use protools, keep in mind only Digidesign interfaces will work with it.

rasse

Reaction score
Im not entirely sure if I want to spend 500 euros on that interface because I probably cant use it to the fullest since Im not that experienced with this stuff at all. I know that it's not advisable to try to go cheap on gear if your tone to be good, but M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO - Irish International Cyberstore seems to be pretty simple and usable. though it doesnt have as many inputs and outputs as the motu ultralite but I can't think of a good argument why I'd need that many.

with some quick googling about the rokits they seem to be pretty nice for the price. specifically I was looking at the RP5 ones since I think I wont need 140W. :)