JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Another question:

From what I gather, it's possible to process two seperate signals at the same time? For instance, let's say I have a friend over to jam/record and we want to both use the same Axe Fx at the same time. I plug my guitar into rear input one, he uses rear input 2. I make a patch routing my input into amp model A and route input 2 into amp model B. I then route them each to their respective output and into a stereo power amp, one channel to one cab and one channel to another. Although I realize this would require lots of processor power, and that the rear inputs are optimized for line level signals, generally speaking the example I gave would work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question:

From what I gather, it's possible to process two seperate signals at the same time? For instance, let's say I have a friend over to jam/record and we want to both use the same Axe Fx at the same time. I plug my guitar into rear input one, he uses rear input 2. I make a patch routing my input into amp model A and route input 2 into amp model B. I then route them each to their respective output and into a stereo power amp, one channel to one cab and one channel to another. Although I realize this would require lots of processor power, and that the rear inputs are optimized for line level signals, generally speaking the example I gave would work?

Yup :)

sportlov

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not a very avid user of effects at all, but rather I just plug my guitar right into my amp and play.

Now finding out about the Axe FX Ultra I've of course become very interested in what you can actually use it for, so I thought I'd see if you could shed some light on this unit.

The Axe FX Ultra has a pretty hefty price tag on it, but considering what it would seem you could use it for, I'm considering getting one. First I'd have to know a couple of things though.

Firstly, I'm using a Mesa Boogie Mark V amp right now, and I've gotten used to and really like the way it sounds, so of course I'm going to want to keep it as well. So can I hook up the Axe FX Ultra with the Mark V and use all parts of the Mark V together with the Axe FX Ultra? With this I'm considering the following:

1. Using both the pre-amp and power amp parts of the Mesa amplifier and using the Axe FX for effects.
2. Using effects and maybe even the cabinet simulator part of the Axe FX Ultra unit to avoid dragging a 4x12 to smaller venues or such.
3. Using a patch with a modeled amp together with my Mesa amplifier to emulate a stereo effect using 2 different amplifiers.

And also, if this is at least partly plausible to use the Axe FX Ultra for, what would I need more than a MIDI controller to control patches from the Axe FX Ultra together with channelswitching from the Mesa amplifier.

I'm thankful for any answer to these questions, and even though I'm sure they've been asked before I've had very little luck getting these things sorted out.

Cheers,

Erik

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Using both the pre-amp and power amp parts of the Mesa amplifier and using the Axe FX for effects.
2. Using effects and maybe even the cabinet simulator part of the Axe FX Ultra unit to avoid dragging a 4x12 to smaller venues or such.
3. Using a patch with a modeled amp together with my Mesa amplifier to emulate a stereo effect using 2 different amplifiers.

And also, if this is at least partly plausible to use the Axe FX Ultra for, what would I need more than a MIDI controller to control patches from the Axe FX Ultra together with channelswitching from the Mesa amplifier.

Sportlov? Vafan äru svensk lr? ;)

1: Yeah, tons of people do it this way. One that springs to mind right now is JJ Rodriguez who's posted a lot in this thread, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you about any details. Another, less notable guy who does this is John Petrucci...

2: This I don't know... this would require sending the signal out of your head into the Axe-Fx, which sounds pretty dangerous to me. Maybe there's some re-amping tools you could use though, like some sort of interface that turns the signal from the head into a line-level signal. I'm sure it's possible in some way, I just haven't tried it. TBH, if you want to keep the weight down for smaller venues I'd ditch the head altogether and just use the amp modeling on the Axe-Fx... it models a Mark IV, Mark IIC+, Triaxis and a bunch of Rectos. Given all the tweakable parameters in the Axe I'm sure one or more of those could get you your Mark V tone.

3: The easiest way to do this would be to use a stereo guitar cable or a signal-splitting box, and send your guitar signal into both your amp+cab aswell as your Axe-Fx, with your Axe going direct to the PA while your amp is mic'd. If you want both the amp and the Axe to send out just one stereo signal then you'll have to elaborate, as I'm not sure what kind of setup you're talking about.

About Midi, I assume the Mark V is Midi switchable, so in that case you should be able to steer the whole rig with just Midi. However, I only use my Axe-Fx alone without any amps, so I'm not the right guy to ask. Again, ask John Petrucci, he uses a Mark V with the Axe-Fx :lol:

Welcome to the forums btw :cheers:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
So I have decided to pull the trigger and order an Axe- Fx Ultra this weekend. I was wondering, how are the noise gate modelers? Should I use the noise gate I already have or sell it?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a gate modeler. It's just a digital gate. And it's pretty good. You may as well wait to sell the gate you have now until you make sure you like the gate on the Axe-FX, though.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a gate modeler. It's just a digital gate. And it's pretty good. You may as well wait to sell the gate you have now until you make sure you like the gate on the Axe-FX, though.

Thanks Tom, definitely looking forward to checking this thing out, it looks pretty intimidating:metal:

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score

Im surprised no one has posted this video yet. This is by far one of THE BEST Axe-fx tone vids ive ever heard.

fallenz3ro

Reaction score
^^Pretty nice comparison vid! I just wish the gain was rolled back a ton. Though, the camera is probably adding lots of distortion

Wiz

Reaction score
This guy seems to have really great tone in all of his videos. Post-processing?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
It's too bad all the axe fx demos usually revolve around someone chugging on a tuned to A or lower guitar. :(
Clips of old school metal are lacking.

Syrinx

Reaction score
This guy seems to have really great tone in all of his videos. Post-processing?

Nah no post-processing. He uses a mix of direct from Axe-FX into ProTools, some from the Edirol camera and mic, and I think maybe a small % from mic on cab, but most of it is direct.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score

I love the gate on it too, feel no need to invest in an external one.

Wiz

Reaction score
Nah no post-processing. He uses a mix of direct from Axe-FX into ProTools, some from the Edirol camera and mic, and I think maybe a small % from mic on cab, but most of it is direct.

Whatever he's doing, it sounds absolutely massive.. Are you saying it's hard to get that with just direct?

Latest posts