JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's too bad all the axe fx demos usually revolve around someone chugging on a tuned to A or lower guitar. :(
Clips of old school metal are lacking.

Then definately check out Mark Day (samhillband) on Youtube. Not sure what you mean by old-school metal but he uses a very crunchy, saturated tone for a lot of Van Halen/Queensrÿche/Lynch stuff.

And if it's any help, one of mine...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
Whatever he's doing, it sounds absolutely massive.. Are you saying it's hard to get that with just direct?

No it's very possible to get a big sound direct, you just have to know what you are doing.

BTW, loving that video John! This makes me wanna put up some vids noodling with my axe fx. :p

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score

Im surprised no one has posted this video yet. This is by far one of THE BEST Axe-fx tone vids ive ever heard.

I messaged Ola over Youtube and asked him if he planned on making an Axe-Fx/Recto comparison. He said he thought it was a good idea and I hope he follows through. The tone he got with his ENGL savage/recto comparison was SICK!

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score

Syrinx

Reaction score
Whatever he's doing, it sounds absolutely massive.. Are you saying it's hard to get that with just direct?

As someone else mentioned it is possible to get that direct. I think Mark mentioned in a vid that his tone on the vids is 80-85% direct .

Seeing that reminds me that I need to download his latest patches and check them out :shred:

fallenz3ro

Reaction score
Yea i guess it would work, but I don't know why you want too, 4 switches kind of limits what you can do, I'd say just get a rocktron midi mate, for what it does it's a great deal.

I would get it just as a live footswitch. I just don't like lugging around larger stuff. for live, i just have a clean and distorted sound. no solo/volume boost/other effects/etc. Just looking for something simplistic

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Would a Carvin DCM 600 be loud enough for live shows?

I am ordering my Axe-Fx Ultra this week, and I was on ebay and saw a Carvin DCM 600 for a good price so I picked it up. Originally I was going to use a Carvin TS100 but since that was more than double the price I figured I would start out with the DCM 600. I have read a lot of good things about these amps, and I know a lot of people use them, I was just curious if I will have any volume issues using it live.

snuif09

Reaction score
Would a Carvin DCM 600 be loud enough for live shows?

I am ordering my Axe-Fx Ultra this week, and I was on ebay and saw a Carvin DCM 600 for a good price so I picked it up. Originally I was going to use a Carvin TS100 but since that was more than double the price I figured I would start out with the DCM 600. I have read a lot of good things about these amps, and I know a lot of people use them, I was just curious if I will have any volume issues using it live.

600 watt @ 4ohm and 450 watt @ 8 ohm would be more than enough for live shows

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Come to NB for a few days and you can try my shit out all you want :lol:

you using that Axe-Fx with the Fryette 2/90/2?

if not anyone else tried that combo and can tell me what it was like

think i might build my own cab this summer and load it with EVM12L's, me thinks that would sound pretty sick with an Axe Fx and a 2/90/2

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score

think i might build my own cab this summer and load it with EVM12L's, me thinks that would sound pretty sick with an Axe Fx and a 2/90/2

Not exactly the same thing but I use it with a 2/50/2 and a VHT 2x12 or Avatar 2x12......or both haha. Pretty savage and versatile rig, can't really see ever going back to a traditional rig, just too many good and diverse tones at my disposal.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

I'm using it as an effects processor only with my rig, haven't fucked around with the models with the 2/90/2, because I can't be bothered to fuck around with models anymore.

Vigil87420

Reaction score
Here's a question. Is there any reason to ever use an ISP decimator prorackg? Or does the axe fx's noise gate pretty much handle everything already?

The other guitarist in my band just got an axefx ultra and when I plugged my guitar into it, it would actually get some feedback even though the treshhold was cranked all the way up.

Does anything think that would be eliminated with the Decimator?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
No. If the noise was coming through even with the noise gate block, you either had something set up wrong (ie the noise gate block was bypassed) or the noise was coming from the power amp or something.

Vigil87420

Reaction score
No. If the noise was coming through even with the noise gate block, you either had something set up wrong (ie the noise gate block was bypassed) or the noise was coming from the power amp or something.

Hm. Well, when HIS guitar was plugged in, there was absolutely no feedback whatsoever. Not until I plugged my guitar in. His guitar has lundgrens in it and mine has bareknuckle painkillers in it. I don't know if that matters at all.

I don't know how it could have been setup wrong. He had guitar -> axe fx ultra -> ART SLA-2 poweramp -> vader 4 x 12". Pretty simple setup.

snuif09

Reaction score
Hm. Well, when HIS guitar was plugged in, there was absolutely no feedback whatsoever. Not until I plugged my guitar in. His guitar has lundgrens in it and mine has bareknuckle painkillers in it. I don't know if that matters at all.

I don't know how it could have been setup wrong. He had guitar -> axe fx ultra -> ART SLA-2 poweramp -> vader 4 x 12". Pretty simple setup.

could have been because your control cavity isnt shielded

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

I mean the patch could have been setup wrong, ie the gate being applied to something other than your row, etc.

If you're talking the gate on the input, then I have no idea, but the fact it was only on your guitar should rule out the Axe if it acted normally on his guitar.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the gate was setup wrong, or you had way too high input volume maybe. Although this should cause clipping more than feedback, but you never know.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
I run with my gate around 9 o clock on the threshold, not much at all and I never get any feedback or noise. Dead Quiet. So i think there is something wrong with his setup/rig/guitar situation