technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wasn't sure, as I was having a look at various interfaces and saw this for exemple (see attachement): there is a plug labeled MIDI *and* s/pdif.

So I gather this wouldn't be a good one to use the axe fx with ?

That's a non-standard port, so I would guess there's a breakout box that connects to that with separate MIDI and SPDIF ports. Just a guess though :shrug:

EDIT: OK, I looked it up (checked out the manual for that interface) it does come with a breakout cable for the MIDI and SPDIF connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Im sure its been posted somewhere but How is the power tube emulation? Does it actually.. emulate them good? Anyone got any clips comparing a patch WITH and WITHOUT power tube emulation?

Anyone have issues with say an Axe-FX + Carvin DCM in a live band setting vs a halfstack + tube head (like a Mesa or something).. Any issues cutting thru?

What im considering doing if I have issues there with a SS poweramp, is getting the Hughes & Kettner "BATT".. which is a 1U halfrack preamp that has an EL84 inside to give some power tube saturation into the mix.

(the reason I cant use a normal tube poweramp is because I need to play bass thru the rig also, 50 guitar tube watts wont cut it for bass)

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The power section simulation is largely what makes it, so yeah, it's pretty good. I run through a DCM, and my rig works well for both guitar and bass.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sure its been posted somewhere but How is the power tube emulation? Does it actually.. emulate them good? Anyone got any clips comparing a patch WITH and WITHOUT power tube emulation?

Anyone have issues with say an Axe-FX + Carvin DCM in a live band setting vs a halfstack + tube head (like a Mesa or something).. Any issues cutting thru?

What im considering doing if I have issues there with a SS poweramp, is getting the Hughes & Kettner "BATT".. which is a 1U halfrack preamp that has an EL84 inside to give some power tube saturation into the mix.

(the reason I cant use a normal tube poweramp is because I need to play bass thru the rig also, 50 guitar tube watts wont cut it for bass)

The poweramp section is quite extensive, with controls for Prescence, Depth, Damp, Sag, Master and Volume, plus advanced settings that include bias, transformer match, B+ capacitance, thump, warmth and a gazillion others. There's a learning curve to it for sure but most of the stock settings work very well with the amp models they come with.

So is there an advantage to using XLR over the 1/4" outs?

In theory, yes, XLR is balanced, thus a little quieter, a little louder etc. However, I A/B'd the difference between going into my interface with a George L's 1/4" plug compared to a ProEl XLR cable, and the 1/4" sounded superior to my ears. This resulted in me, the other guitarist in my band and the bass player recording our whole album into the soundcard with a 1/4" plug.

SoundClick artist: Rhinestone - page with MP3 music downloads

Sounds good to my ears.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Here are the specs for my audio interface, a pod studio ux2. Can I connect my axe-fx to this or do I need to buy something else?

-1/4 inch guitar input (normal or padded)
-2 balanced XLR inputs with mic preamps
-Gain Knobs
-Phantom Power
-1/4 sstereo monitor input
-Two 1/4 inch line inputs
-Two 1/4 inch ballanced line outs
-S/PDIF digital out

Also if I do need to buy something else, do you have any suggestions?

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Here we go, another question about solid state watts, ohms, and their relation to the axe-fx.

I have a 16 ohm 2x12 cab rated to 240w rms. From what I have gathered, pretty much all solid state power amps have fixed resistance, and as such, murder my headroom since I'm using a 16 ohm cab. I could potentially re-wire it for 4 ohms, but I wanted to use the new rocktron velocity 300. The manual says not to use the bridged output @ 4 ohms, or at least, that it is not recommended.

170w @ 16 ohms bridged.

Is that gonna be enough power? If it were a tube amp, I'd be able to tell, but apparently solid state works differently, and apparently this new rocktron works differently than older solid states, plus the new reactance control which makes it sound more tube like? I got nothin...

I've read a lot of stuff in the last few hours, most of which I don't fully understand. Anyone wanna lay this out real simple for me?

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Well let's put it this way, 170w (150?) isn't bad. I think you'll end up running it pretty hard in a full band pirate metal situation, without truckloads of headroom left over. However, going from 300w to 150w only loses you 3db of loudness, so... it's pretty much like having to turn the power to 10 in order to get the perceived loudness of 9, know what I mean? Not a mind-blowing difference.

8 ohm bridged would be ideal, but 16 ohms will be fine. If it's not loud enough, I'd say buy a considerably larger amp like a Carvin 1540L, or add a speaker.

EDIT: DO NOT bridge it at 4 ohms. You'll fry the sucker.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Well let's put it this way, 170w (150?) isn't bad. I think you'll end up running it pretty hard in a full band pirate metal situation, without truckloads of headroom left over. However, going from 300w to 150w only loses you 3db of loudness, so... it's pretty much like having to turn the power to 10 in order to get the perceived loudness of 9, know what I mean? Not a mind-blowing difference.

8 ohm bridged would be ideal, but 16 ohms will be fine. If it's not loud enough, I'd say buy a considerably larger amp like a Carvin 1540L, or add a speaker.

EDIT: DO NOT bridge it at 4 ohms. You'll fry the sucker.

My beef is I want it to be small. I need a 1U power amp that will provide the necessary loudness @ 16 ohms. It'd be a pain in the ass to buy something and have it be wimpy and quiet, then have to go buy something bigger. better to get it right the first time and save the hassle.

Any suggestions as to a 1U poweramp that WILL have enough balls?

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
My beef is I want it to be small. I need a 1U power amp that will provide the necessary loudness @ 16 ohms. It'd be a pain in the ass to buy something and have it be wimpy and quiet, then have to go buy something bigger. better to get it right the first time and save the hassle.

Any suggestions as to a 1U poweramp that WILL have enough balls?

Sorry dude but there are only so many watts you can squeeze in there. You've got one of the highest power-density amps out there. ART SLA-2 is the only one with more that I can find. You get 280 x 2 @ 4 ohms, or 560 bridged @ 8, so you probably would get 250-300W bridged at 16 ohms (not rated but perfectly safe).

FWIW plenty of people are happy with the Rocktron.

ART SLA-2 Studio Power Amplifier and more Studio Power Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
+1 on the Art. Just sold mine today. Worked very well with the Axe-FX. Couldn't win when stacked against my 2/90/2 though. It puts out quite a bit of volume for a 1U. It is deceivingly heavy though.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
+1 on the Art. Just sold mine today. Worked very well with the Axe-FX. Couldn't win when stacked against my 2/90/2 though. It puts out quite a bit of volume for a 1U. It is deceivingly heavy though.

I was looking at the carvin DCM200L. apparently only 4lbs and can output 200W at 16 ohms according to the little chart on the back.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score

Yeah buddy, cant wait :hbang:. I'm lifting weights in preparation of my 4U rack, but the Axefx Ultra will be the heaviest thing in there figuratively :rocker:

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
I was looking at the carvin DCM200L. apparently only 4lbs and can output 200W at 16 ohms according to the little chart on the back.

200W is absolutely identical in real terms to 150W or 170W or whatever. If you want to experience a difference, start at 500W and go north.

Pirates don't skimp on power. :pirate:

EDIT: I've got a DCM1000 (same basics as DCM1000L power-wise) and I expect it will be perfect when I finally get my damn Axe-FX. The DCM1540L would be crushingly authoritative.

Xifter

Reaction score
EDIT: I've got a DCM1000 (same basics as DCM1000L power-wise) and I expect it will be perfect when I finally get my damn Axe-FX. The DCM1540L would be crushingly authoritative.
Just snagged a DCM1540L based on the advice from y'all on the forums. Now I am just awaiting arrival of both Axe and DCM. I can't wait!!:shred:

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Just snagged a DCM1540L based on the advice from y'all on the forums. Now I am just awaiting arrival of both Axe and DCM. I can't wait!!:shred:

Some guy on the Fractal forums complained that the 1540L was weak and thin-sounding, and that he was only happy when he upgraded to the DCM3000L. The thread unanimously agreed that he was both a) deaf and b) too loud on stage for any venue. :lol:

PS, speaking of Fractal... :cool: I have another question. Their online store lists Axe-FX prices as $1750/1800 (they show both :lol:) MSRP/$1500 sale price and $2300 MSRP/$2000 sale price, respectively.

Are these actually "sale prices", as in, "they will cost more when the sale ends sometime months from now", or are those just the regular prices and they shouldn't be going up?

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Nothing actually sells for the MSRP. It's a creative marketing technique used to convince consumers that they are getting a great deal.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Nothing actually sells for the MSRP. It's a creative marketing technique used to convince consumers that they are getting a great deal.

Know what MSRP is do I. :yoda:

I'm 99% sure these prices haven't fluctuated at all, but I almost seem to remember that the Standard used to be like $1800? So that's why I'm asking. Did they ever go "on sale" as a permanent price drop a long time ago?

It's taking too long to sell all my gear :wallbash: