mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I decided to bring up the FAS Modern III again on a whim, I think I read someone here say it’s in their top 5 (probably shask). I haven’t tried it in a long while, and I didn’t much like it then. But I don’t think I had my current cabs and poweramp or this firmware, so I guess it’s worth another shot. I’ve read it described as an idealised and tighter recto, and I’m into that.

With not so much tweaking it sounds really good, I think this is the closest I’ve got to copying my real 3ch dual Rectifier, the feel, and general tonality seems about right (though I haven’t played my recto in like a week). I’ve set the eq up similar to my real recto also, mainly keeping an eye on the treble knob and not going over noon with it.

It’s a lot tighter right from the start, so to get the level of tightness and saturation I like, it needs a not-that-tight, but kinda-tight boost. The tubescreamer models I think are a bit honky for this model (I’ve also kind of gone off them again anyway). The FET preamp does a good job of replicating my tc electronic integrated preamp, using the EQ controls in combination with the low-cut control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I decided to bring up the FAS Modern III again on a whim, I think I read someone here say it’s in their top 5 (probably shask). I haven’t tried it in a long while, and I didn’t much like it then. But I don’t think I had my current cabs and poweramp or this firmware, so I guess it’s worth another shot. I’ve read it described as an idealised and tighter recto, and I’m into that.

With not so much tweaking it sounds really good, I think this is the closest I’ve got to copying my real 3ch dual Rectifier, the feel, and general tonality seems about right (though I haven’t played my recto in like a week). I’ve set the eq up similar to my real recto also, mainly keeping an eye on the treble knob and not going over noon with it.

It’s a lot tighter right from the start, so to get the level of tightness and saturation I like, it needs a not-that-tight, but kinda-tight boost. The tubescreamer models I think are a bit honky for this model (I’ve also kind of gone off them again anyway). The FET preamp does a good job of replicating my tc electronic integrated preamp, using the EQ controls in combination with the low-cut control.

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone know if the two notes fortin amps IRs work with the axe?

Thinking the first thing i want to do once i have my Ax8 is also get these if they do.

If not is there a way to convert Two Notes iRs so that they work with anything?

laxu

Reaction score

Thinking the first thing i want to do once i have my Ax8 is also get these if they do.

You can use Fractal's Cablab Lite to convert them to the format accepted by Axe-Fx/AX8.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

You can use Fractal's Cablab Lite to convert them to the format accepted by Axe-Fx/AX8.

That depends on what the Two Notes IRs come in. I believe they have their own proprietary format.

lewis

Reaction score
Would it be possible for someone to try haha? Interesting.

Another interesting thing is not that long ago i asked mike if he would ever do kemper profile packs or anything digital and he was firmly in the no camp because there is no security to stop piracy on it. But then he does these for Two notes?. So maybe their IRs having their own format to make them secure would make sense.

Im waiting for my local shop to get in ax8 for me to buy so i cant try until then haha. (Supporting local companies rather than online shops etc)

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
AliExpress is local to you? Can’t you find a multi-fx design more local than the Fractal Audio AX8 to support?

lewis

Reaction score
AliExpress is local to you? Can’t you find a multi-fx design more local than the Fractal Audio AX8 to support?
tenor.gif

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
How do you guys set up your live sets on the XFX? Presets/scenes/modifiers and whatnot.

It was really simple with the Kemper; performance mode gives 5 sounds per song, switching is instantaneous and trails go over between presets.
Haven't tried the XFX in that regard yet, but setting start and end and going through one way sounds like a bad idea with a lot of duplication and room for error.

What do you guys do for more complex sets?

Jbonen42

Reaction score
Ok coming in with a random. Do you think it would be worth it to get the original axe fx standard or the ultra?? I’m going for a low budget profile and I was debating on that or the line 6 pod pro HD. Only reason I’d be against the original axe fx is because maybe the software and updates would be out of date and whatnot. I’m all for the axe fx 2 but I might just be a lil impatient lol

Shask

Reaction score
How do you guys set up your live sets on the XFX? Presets/scenes/modifiers and whatnot.

What do you guys do for more complex sets?
I don't play live with mine, so most of my presets are simple with 1 scene. However, I have a few favorites I have tricked out a bit more, where I have a heavy sound with only the amp/EQ for scene 1, add an OD boost for scene 2, add chorus and delay for scene 3 for a lead sound, and then scene 4 switches to Y amp for a clean sound with chorus and delay. I have never used those scene modifiers and such, as I keep things pretty simple.

Shask

Reaction score
Ok coming in with a random. Do you think it would be worth it to get the original axe fx standard or the ultra?? I’m going for a low budget profile and I was debating on that or the line 6 pod pro HD. Only reason I’d be against the original axe fx is because maybe the software and updates would be out of date and whatnot. I’m all for the axe fx 2 but I might just be a lil impatient lol
Standard/Ultra are great units. The II is an excellent unit.

:)

laxu

Reaction score

POD <<< Axe-Fx Std/Ultra < Axe-Fx 2.

If you can afford a used 2 I would buy that, it's just a lot better sounding now. If not, I would look at a used Line6 Helix instead.

Elric

Reaction score
Standard/Ultra are great units. The II is an excellent unit.

:)
And *worlds* better than any POD series unit. I've owned an Ultra and all the POD series and the Ultra is by far the better unit. I only sold mine off this year after getting a III. So killer into a guitar cab and power amp rig like I was using it. As a preamp it can hold its own against boutique tube gear and the FX have been world class since day one on the Fractal stuff.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
So that's why I got a mail from G66.
Check your emails EU guys, looks like they're coming in a few weeks for the people who registered early.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a Kemper user but I currently have an Ax8 to play around for a couple of days.
Any free presets that you guys recommend?
I downloaded the latest preset pack from the site, but would like to know if you know of any other great third party ones.

Also, currently all the rhythm high gain presets and new ones i try to make sound too digital to me, would I have to load another cab or IR?
Thanks!

PS: I am not trying to trigger anyone, I just want to learn to love it haha

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
The preset thing isn't as dominant as it is on the Kemper.
You need some good cab IRs (the stock ones aren't bad), and then instead of paging through presets, you tweak the amp controls to get there.

Kostas Charalambous has a couple of Youtube videos that have helped me a lot starting out, and Leon Todd was also recommended.

Decapitated

Loser
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a Kemper user but I currently have an Ax8 to play around for a couple of days.
Any free presets that you guys recommend?
I downloaded the latest preset pack from the site, but would like to know if you know of any other great third party ones.

Also, currently all the rhythm high gain presets and new ones i try to make sound too digital to me, would I have to load another cab or IR?
Thanks!

PS: I am not trying to trigger anyone, I just want to learn to love it haha

Latest posts