Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Go back and reread the first chapter when you finish it, man. And yeah, I took the news pretty hard. It took me a while to actually start The Pale King because it's sort of all over after that one, you know?

Oh, I will. Right now I want to reread all of it. It's a lot to take in in one reading, especially since English isn't my first language, plus I just don't want to leave that world. I just bought The Broom of the system and A supposedly fun thing too, so either way I'll be going on a Wallace binge.

Your reluctance to start with The Pale King is very recognisable. I have the same thing with Nabokov: there isn't much left by him that I haven't read twice. The Original of Laura was a nice treat but it made me even sadder to know there will never be any truly new work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just started Fear And Loathing on The Campaign Trail '72 before I left for work. Had the book for a while, now time to actually, y'know, read it :lol:

Mexi

Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed Blood Meridian and I'm really just enjoying Cormac McCarthy's work so I'm starting up his Border Trilogy with All the Pretty Horses.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I used to restrict myself to reading one book at a time. What little wisdom I've gained in the years since then has led me to abandon this silly practice entirely.

Pedagogy of the Oppressed - Freire
Markets Not Capitalsim - eds. Chartier and Johnson
Language and Problems of Knowledge (Managua Lecture series) - Chomsky
my own post

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Re-reading The Road. such a hauntingly beautiful book

It is. I started reading the first page of The Road while I was brushing my teeth early one night. By the time I got to the last page, it was morning and I was still standing stark naked in the middle of a cold, fluorescent-lit bathroom. So yeah, definitely an engrossing read.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
A Clockwork Orange. I'm starting to viddy things in like, a new light my brothers.

I asked for The Road but no library seems to have it. I may tuck into some Aldous Huxley after this, I've got The Island and something else lying around.

edit: they have McCarthy's The Road!! I grinned a lot when I found it

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Just finished The Road (WOW. I mean...wow) so I might start on some Oliver Sachs...but I want fiction!
Suggestions?

SeanSan

Reaction score
Currently reading a bunch of HP Lovecraft stories :)

I also just finished "The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared"

^^ I highly recommend this for people who appreciate quirky humour. The title kinda got me going already! :lol: Check it out!

Mexi

Reaction score
Finished up Child of God and continuing on with my McCarthy binge with The Orchard Keeper

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
First book I ever picked up based on a first impression, The Left Hand of God. Really good so far.