Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Got this from my school's library, if you have any interest in history, science, or history and science, or the history of science. You owe it to yourself to read this. I'm about half way though and I've learned so much about 16th century England, and quite a bit about the men who laid the foundation for our modern world. it's really fascinating.

book-review-the-clockwork-universe-2011-2-3-12-31-3.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jim C. Hines - Codex Born
Simon R. Green - Spirits From Beyond
Richard Kadrey - Kill City Blues
Steven Erikson - Midnight Tides

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the Tales of the Otori trilogy? It hasn't engaged me much so far

1984, since the last time I tried to read it it bored me to tears

Haha I remember it being quite exciting

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
last-argument-of-kings.jpg

The final book in the "First Law" trilogy. Highly recommended! Given - the first one wasn't that exciting, and it took me a while to get into it, but I also had extremely high personal stress at that time and could not relax by any chance...so maybe others will get into it easier. But in ANY CASE: this is awesome.

Since I finished A Dance With Dragons 3 days after it came out (after a f**king 5 year wait), I have been reading myself through various Fantasy books, single books, series....but until Abercormbies "First Law", pretty much everything bored me to death.
The only exception would be Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" Trilogy, which i hugely got addicted to. Some things bothered me though, especially towards the ending.
I am having high hopes, that Abercrombie will not disappoint me in this case. Because, and a friend of mine has absolutely hit the nail on the head with this: "With this final volume you can really tell that Sanderson is a very religious man just as you can tell from his books that joe abercrombie is not."

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
I'm reading The English Patient. Here, books are crazy expensive, so I've to read what I can borrow from people. -_-

So far so good, though.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Charles Stross - Equoid (got to love the Laundry series... Lovecraft meets Bond meets IT all with a dry sense of humor)

SeductionS

Reaction score
Bought the Hogwarts Library collection.
Currently I'm reading Quidditch Through the Ages

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Stephen King - Joyland

It's amazing going from one author to another, in this case, George RR Martin back to King. With King I can just crush his works and time takes on this infinite absence and it's just me and the book; whereas Martin's books have much more depth and detail but I can't feel like I'm counting the minutes it's taking to work through all of it.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I'm trying to find Gaiman's new book around here but can't seem to :\ It's called The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Anyone read it already?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
"Doctor Sleep" - Stephen King

Follows up the events from the Shining and I'm not quite sure where it's heading but I dig it so far. After this I'm gonna dive head first into "The Odyssey" and then try and re-tackle "House of Leaves" if possible