Oiling an Ebony board?

• Thread starter goosepoop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goosepoop

Reaction score
I've had my 8 for about 6 months now and as I look to put a new set of strings, I was wondering if it necessary to oil it now? I've read mixed opinions if there was value in it and I was wondering what the consensus is.

Should I oil? How do I do it?

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
if you have access to a buffer i would just buff the ebony to a nice shine. i do this after fretwork, so you get a mirror shine on the ebony and frets :2c:

erotophonophilia

Reaction score
I condition mine with bore oil, every few months. I put a couple of drops on a q-tip, and apply it evenly on the fretboard. I let it soak into the fretboard, maybe an hour or so. After the bore oil sets in, I use paper towels to rub off the excess oil, that didn't sink in. Finally, I spray Gibson's Pump Polish onto a microfiber towel to clean up any oil I missed.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Every once in a while is fine with ebony.
Just depends on how often it's played and what environment it's subjected to, or if it's cased most of the time.

nedheftyfunk

Reaction score
I've used this

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Accessories :: :: Fingerboard 02 Deep Conditioner

every time I change strings on an ebony or rosewood 'board for years. It makes a world of difference to dry 'boards, limiting the likelihood of cracks, making them lustrous and beautiful. Best of all, it can't do any damage: just keep applying it until it stops being absorbed and then wipe the excess off. A bottle lasts a long, long time too.

I use this first, to remove grime, before applying the conditioner

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/fingerboard-01-cleaner--prep

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Note that most "lemon oil" is actually just crappy mineral oil with a lemon scent added to it and not actually lemon oil at all.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I also use lemon oil about every 2-3 months. Keeps the board looking nice and, with the extreme changes in humidity we have here in New England, gives me peace of mind about cracking. I use a silicone free version and haven't experienced any of the ill effects after using it for years on multiple guitars.