Onboard Gain Boosters

• Thread starter reddeltasev
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

reddeltasev

Reaction score
I know that EMG has 2 gain boosters that just give your guitar another 20 dB of gain, but I have read stuff that they can have durability issues. Do you think Seymour Duncan could do any better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackout

Reaction score
The idea of this has always intrigued me, but I've never seen any positive comments about them really.

Would it be possible (in theory, if it hasn't been done already) to get full on OD808 (or similar) circuitry within a guitar?

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
The idea of this has always intrigued me, but I've never seen any positive comments about them really.

Would it be possible (in theory, if it hasn't been done already) to get full on OD808 (or similar) circuitry within a guitar?
Very possible. It'd prolly about as much routing as a trem cavity to fit it in there though, so you'd prolly have minimal space for anything else. An explorer could pull it off fine likely, and I've wanted to do this for a while now, thought my electronics education isn't quite that good yet

Nick1

Reaction score
Ive used the EMG afterburner and the EMG PA2 and the SPC Control and the first 2 are ok. Not that great. They seem to simulate an overdrive pedal. Tone wise not that great. Volume wise they are good. I much prefer to use a "real" pedal such as a TS9 which to me is one of the greatest pedals ever made.
The SPC is like having a "scoop" knob on your guitar. They arnt worth the $60 bucks or whatever they cost.

The Seymour Duncan Pickup booster pedal is great! Totally clean boost! Put it in the effects loop not in front. Its loud as fuck even at 1!