Once...twice...three times a VHT...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Since I now have a brand new Sig:X to accompany my beloved Pittbull UL, I figured it would be cool to get together with my buddy Ari (WarriorOfMetal) who has a Deliverance and try out some of our various guitars through each and see what happens. Also give it the run through with a band rehearsal as well. And of course, no Zimbloth thread would be incomplete without plenty of cool guitar pics and a rambling review!

Enjoy! :mf666:

1. Two of my VHT 4x12s with a Pittbull UL (left), D60 (up), Sig:X (down).

14.jpg

2. Nevermore DVD being administered :metal:

13.jpg

3. My rack setup: Monster PC-->G-Force-->ISP-->DTR1000-->Chaos TS7-->X2 Wireless.

12.jpg

4. Closeup of the Sig:X

11.jpg

5. :bowdown:

05.jpg

6. My old friend...

10.jpg

7. Setting up for some recordings (comparison clips soon)

07.jpg

8. Ahh, the sweet reassuring glow of VHT green..

16.jpg

9. L-to-R: Ari's Agile & Dragonrider, my Vixen 7, RGA121, & Caparison Horus

17.jpg

10. Yes. :metal:

18.jpg

24.jpg

12. The Dragonrider. It may not be for everyone but its cool and suits Ari's style well. It was his own design in fact. It sounds quite good :yesway:

26.jpg

Brief Thoughts On The Sig:X

· I honestly could write about 30 paragraphs on this amp but I'll spare you all. Everyone knows I'm a VHT diehard. However, it really is a remarkable amp - in ways I both expected and did not expect. It's too early to say definitively if I like it more than the UL or not, but I can just say it's the first amp I've played/owned since buying my UL a few years ago which is in the same league, if not superior in certain ways.

· Flawless design. As usual, nearly infinite tone shaping options - all completely usable (unlike 99% of other amps). Everything is where it needs to be and convenient. The footswitch is outstanding.

· Each of the 3-channels has 3 modes, with footswitchable: boosts, 40/100w switches, more/less gain notch, scoop/wood (similar to the 'shift' button on my UL), independent deep/presence controls, etc.

· Mind-blowing cleans. Nearly infinite headroom/volume. A rare high-gain amp with stadium level gorgeous cleans. Frankly this channel puts the UL to shame. Can acheive a plethora of voicings and feels, simply incredible. Has 3 modes entitled: brown, brit, and blow which are all very usable. I got one setting to make my RGA121 w/ Painkillers sound like piezos. Chimey, full bodied and beautiful - and LOUD!

· Rhythm channel can be dialed in to sound nearly identical to the Deliverance. This is a great channel, as I mentioned it has 3 modes. You can go anywhere from subtle breakup, to blues, to breathtaking classic rock tones, to more of a thick grunge rock tone, to very tight/focused/touch sensitive metal tones. This is the channel Ari seems to like most. I love it too, but I prefer the more fluid response from the Lead channel...

· The red channel is really cool, and is not what I really expected back when I first started speaking with my VHT rep. To me this channel sounds like a hybrid of an ENGL and a VHT. It has the classic VHT growl, tightness, midrange aggression, and rich gain... but it has more of a polished/smooth vibe like an ENGL The bass character is more like an ENGL than a VHT as well. I'd say it's less raw and in-your-face as the Pittbull, but it's plenty brutal in its own right. Just more polished and thick but still clear. It's just different. I dont know for sure which I prefer, I need more time to make that determination.

In an addition to the great tone for riffage, the lead tones are crazy good. Very bold, expressive, crazy harmonics and as is the theme of this amp, INSANELY dynamic/touch sensitive. Notes really seem to jump out of the amp. It's odd, this amp only has two KT88s yet it has obscene headroom & volume. I think there's a rectifier tube in there somewhere too.

*I should note I almost always use my boost pedal into this, and should be taken into account with the above thoughts*

Final Thought

I was skeptical when VHT told me about how the Sig:X was a result of over 10 years of R&D, how they employ new technology to lower costs without sacrificing tone, and all that marketing speak bullshit. However, as everyone who has come into contact with this amp can attest to (my bandmate's as well), this amp absolutely is the real fucking deal. Amazing.

I give this amp (for what it's worth) 4 out of 4 Handlebar Mustache Snakes:

villain.jpg
villain.jpg
villain.jpg
villain.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks like you guys had an awesome time, I also love your rehearsal room, would be great if we had the space to have a recording setup permanently in ours, however its not QUITE big enough for it :(

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Awesome pics Nick!!! Im glad you like the Sig:X and that it is in the same ballpark as the UL. Maybe i will try one out sometime.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That looks like you guys had an awesome time, I also love your rehearsal room, would be great if we had the space to have a recording setup permanently in ours, however its not QUITE big enough for it :(

I know how it is man. We only moved into our own room recently, before we were sharing it with other bands full of miserable druggie shitheads.

Awesome pics Nick!!! Im glad you like the Sig:X and that it is in the same ballpark as the UL. Maybe i will try one out sometime.

It's right up there with the UL in terms of quality, but it does have a very different sound. Knowing what I know about what you're into, I think you'd prefer the UL, but I bet you'd love both.

:yesway: Congrats on the new head. Thats a lot of VHT gear you have. I wish I had a Sig X!:metal:

Thanks man :)

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Always loved VHTs, but they've been way out of my funding level. That's some serious gear there, man. :yesway:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I know how it is man. We only moved into our own room recently, before we were sharing it with other bands full of miserable druggie shitheads.

That sucks, we don't have to share this one thankfully, its all ours :D

The pics are mighty impressive though, I love Ari's Dragonrider and your Vixen, plus the amps look sexy as all hell :D

NiCkMiLnE

7>6
Reaction score
CLIPS NAO!
ive actually been considering this amp for some time, so if you nail the tones im dreaming of...im sold haha!

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
That DragonRider is sooo .. :shred: :hbang: :scream: :bowdown:
got a thread or something full of pictures of it?

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...pics-of-my-custom-guitar-the-dragonrider.html

I sold my Schecter recently, and the buyer wanted it without pickups, so I decided to try the pickups I'd had in it, in the Dragonrider. Originally, I had a JB-7 in the bridge and the stock DiMarzio from an RG7620 in the neck, and it sounded pretty good, but was just lacking a little tightness. Also, the Deliverance being the most sensitive amp in the world when it comes to different guitars and pickups, and what sounds good with it, it didn't sound all that great. It sounded ok, but that was it. I just put the Duncan Custom and '59 in it the night before this VHT ridiculousness, and it's a definite improvement...the Custom actually sounded good with my D60 instead of just ok.

The Sig:X is awesome...like Nick said, the Rhythm channel is capable of sounding near identical to the Deliverance, and the Lead channel reminded us both of almost a mix of my two amps (the Deliverance and Engl Savage 120), but this was with a boost. Honestly, that's the only thing I don't like about the Sig:X, sound-wise. I use a boost with my D60, and that's ok, but sometimes I like to be able to just plug straight into an amp with no footswitch or anything, and for that reason, the Sig:X could never replace my Engl...I'll probably replace my Deliverance with one eventually, though. The Lead channel without a boost isn't bad, but it's just lacking in the kind of saturation we both normally like to play with. Its clean channel, like Nick said, is very LOUD and can stay pristine pretty much all the way up.

Overall, it sounds a little bit smoother and more refined than either of the other amps we had there, and a little bit cleaner on the low notes.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
here's me rocking out unplugged, playing along to the Nevermore DVD

04.jpg

i've got more pics of my own coming, but a lot of them are very similar to nick's.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks awesome, I do really want to try out a VHT at some point :yesway:

So.. you guys don't really like high-end then?!

I think you would need to try a VHT for yourself to really understand...the treble knob doesn't do a whole lot, though. Also, those are the settings we dialed in to Nick's preferences...I normally set my D60 differently, with the treble knob between 10:00 and 12:00.

Latest posts