One guitar for life..

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
this question is for anyone who has been playing one one guitar for the past decade and do not own any other guitars.
1- how do you stop yourself from buying another guitar?
2- what is it about this one guitar that keeps you from buying more guitars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
this question is for anyone who has been playing one one guitar for the past decade and do not own any other guitars.

MV5BOTNhMDQ5OGMtMWE4OS00MTMxLWE2MzYtMmQwNDMwYmFhZWViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwODUyNTQ@._V1_.jpg

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno, I think Dean Lamb just plays one guitar.* Probably because he likes it. I also have the feeling he plays it a lot and that's why he's so effing good.

*I don't know for sure. I can't be bothered to really check.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
your posting on the wrong forum dude...

*leaves to go read more ngd threads

aesthyrian

Reaction score
1.) I don't need any more, happy with what I have besides a few small instances, and I rather spend any extra income on other hobbies (climbing, trailrunning, cannabis).

2.) It's more like 5 guitars, and they're all pretty similar. The thought of having to restring another helps me from wanting more. Plus, most guitars are ugly as fuck now.

Kwert

Reaction score
I dunno, I think Dean Lamb just plays one guitar.* Probably because he likes it. I also have the feeling he plays it a lot and that's why he's so effing good.

*I don't know for sure. I can't be bothered to really check.

He has a bunch of different Kiesels but plays his black Kiesel sig most often. He definitely has and plays more than one tho.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Part of it was space. I didn't have room in my room/apartment for any more guitars/cases than those.

For the first 20-ish years of playing guitar, I never had more than 3, and one of them was acoustic. When I had two electrics, it was always one S-type and one LP-ish guitar...but I almost always favored the LP guitar, mostly because I didn't have all that much use for single coils in the music I liked to play, and never got used to the Strat's trem.

When I had fewer guitars, I just had no interest in a nylon string or 12-string as my main acoustic, so I kept just the one standard acoustic.

Once I had the space and the income, though, say the last 15 year or so, i decided to try out one of each of those...so that brought me up to 3 acoustics. Then my main acoustic started to fail structurally, and it wasn't work fixing. So, I was planning to upgrade to a "nice" acoustic, and bought a "beater" in the meantime, and it's the one I'd bring to gigs where I wouldn'ty want to bring my $4k koa Taylor. Then things changed when I had more opportunity to own more guitars: more space, and more disposable income. So that put the end to the "two electric guitars only" phase of my life. 😅

I still have a limit though: I can't have more than what will fit on the one small wall with my wall hangers, which is coincidentally the exact same quantity of cases that will fit in the one closet I'm allowing myself to use for them. Since they are not a source of income, I simply can't justify any more than these,and honestly don't want to give up any more of my home for storage.

Last edited:

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
1. Either self control, such as not impulse buying every guitar in the shop for some crummy Instagram couch pics and YouTube videos. Also responsibilities at hand, or I'm simply not in the market for those guitars.

2. I'm content with what I already have, I'm appreciative of what I've been able to acquire.

Why would anyone do that?
Because there is no hope.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score

Get something pretty versatile (24 frets, many switching options, not overly committed neck shape/radius/etc). Then for new guitars, I gatekeep based on arbitrary specs I'm not a huge fan of (no rosewood fb, no sub 24-frets, etc) not because I wouldn't be perfectly happy with them, but just because there's so many guitars out there and I can't own everything. Also owning a lot stresses me out, so I find it easy to keep it slim. That being said, even having a more minimalist approach to gear than most people here, and I like that quote "beware the man with one gun, for he will surely know how to use it", I also will concede that life is too short to own just *ONE* guitar. I would want a couple tunings, or a 6 and a 7, or maybe one with true single coils not just splits, but that's just me. Of course you will have your favorite, and for some people that can be your one guitar. I would be happy 92% of the time with just one guitar that checked a lot of boxes, and I've spent multiple years with only a Suhr Modern.

Also sleep on anything, a lot of times I will look at my reverb watch list a week later and wonder why I was so infatuated with something previously. It's only electric players that feel the need to have a million slightly different guitars, unlike classical musicians who buy one and have it for life, helps you retain the perspective that it's a want, not a need.

Over the years I've gravitated to a subset of specs/sounds, I like what I like, what I have covers those bases.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You’re posting on a guitar forum, which means most users own more than one guitar.

1. Stay off forums
2. Own a les paul.

jaxadam

Reaction score
My Dean razorback v can do it all. From death metal to thrash metal to speed metal to black metal to nu metal to blackened death metal to industrial metal and anything in between. No need for a second guitar.

Everything between death metal to industrial metal? That covers it all!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'm thinning the herd down to one sixer and one seven, one amp, one cab, one modeler and just calling it quits with gear buying frankly. It's getting tiring and everything is starting to sound the same after 20 years of doing it.