Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

• Thread starter Sammy J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Acme

Reaction score
He should hire a second vocalist. His vocals don't fit this classic rock direction he's pushing recently at all.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I thought the new song seemed pretty decent. Will have to give it a few more spins though.

The Mirror

Reaction score
Does this link work?

I am actually surprised that they decided to release the english version first. I am looking much more forward to the swedish vocals. That might actually give it a decent spin on it.

Otherwise I probably "grew out" of Opeth as I did with Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree. 70s inspired music doesn't give me much these days. But who knows, maybe in 20 years I'll love it.

Guess I'll buy it for that reason and because I have every other Opeth record in my collection. Don't see myself listening to it much, though.

Last edited:

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
To be honest, doesn't make that much of a difference with the Swedish and English versions. Only listened to each once, maybe I'll hear it in a different light with more listens. The song is pretty good, I guess.I think maybe Mikael is going a bit overboard with the vibrato and the vocal performance overall. Almost sounds pretencious in a way. I kinda miss the more subdued, insecure Mikael a bit from the earlier days sometimes.

Exchanger

Reaction score
Does this link work?

I am actually surprised that they decided to release the english version first. I am looking much more forward to the swedish vocals. That might actually give it a decent spin on it.

Otherwise I probably "grew out" of Opeth as I did with Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree. 70s inspired music doesn't give me much these days. But who knows, maybe in 20 years I'll love it.

Guess I'll buy it for that reason and because I have every other Opeth record in my collection. Don't see myself listening to it much, though.

Ooooh I really like the writing, definitely Opeth but with new flavors, new twists in the melodies (I'm a sucker for classic prog anyway). Still not a fan of the stuffy mix eventhough it's not as bad as Sorceress.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Love it, that’s the most beautiful acoustic section I’ve ever heard. Cool eastern-style lines as well.

KailM

Reaction score
I don't hate it. Actually, I quite liked it, damn. Might have to give this album a serious look. I just need to keep in mind that this is very likely not going to be a return to classic Opeth form. It's a completely different band.

Avedas

Reaction score
Still a Camel cover band.
That's hilarious and pretty true when I think about it.
PT died with Fear of a Blank Planet. Everything after that was so dull, and I was bored of Wilson's solo work from when he dropped his first album. Rush is one of my favorite bands but I can't listen to other 70s prog really.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Killer song, easily one of my favorites from the post-Heritage era. But are my headphones just ass or are the vocals too low in the mix/have way too much reverb on them? I can barely make out the lyrics when listening to the Swedish version.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I'm going to pile on here, and for what it's worth (nothing) here is my opinion, I think the direction Opeth took is worse than the one Metallica took with At. Anger.

I REALLY liked Opeth, really liked them. everything from Blcckwater Park and before was amazing. I don't even just mean about the vocals. That is a big sticking point for me but not always a deal breaker, I did enjoy Damnation and Deliverance but everything else has been the biggest snooze fest.

I agree with the sentiment from above, they should have just called the band something else.

Can bands grow and do whatever THEY want, hell yeah. I'll never begrudge an artist changing their style or "growing up" but these are just my opinions as a fan.

Oh well, at least I have all the old stuff.

wankerness

Reaction score
I was with you on the "they took a worse direction than St Anger" thing until you drew the line after D1/D2? They didn't change styles drastically till after GR at the earliest. And I'd say after Watershed is the much bigger line, that one at least had a couple halfhearted songs that sounded like they'd whipped them up in a hurry to keep their old fans happy (ex Heir Apparent).

This new song is like the last album, I thought "hey that section's cool" a couple times, "hey this almost sounds like Opeth" a couple times, and will almost definitely never get an urge to listen to it again until I end up buying the album and listening to it probably once. I'm a mark.

It sounded too much like Immigrant Song for a while also!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
New song sounds pretty darn good so far! All i really care about is if it's good. Of the post Watershed stuff, for me Heritage was mediocre, Pale Communion was great, Sorceress pretty darn good.

From this preview track outlook sounds good for this album!

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
It's a pretty good track! I enjoyed it. Definitely helps to have good headphones. Mike said all the songs are a bit different, and this was the label selected single because it's the most straightforward. I'm betting that means the others have extended jam sessions. Or, quite possibly, some interestingly composed dynamic shifts and different motifs. Who knows. But I've grown to enjoy their throwback prog worship because none of it is bad, and some of it has been exceptional. The vocals are never returning to arguably the thickest growls and roars heard in death metal; his voice is shot for that and I've made that point earlier. I don't like it as much as anyone else, but I've moved on and closed the chapter. They don't need to change their name or be another band, but I totally get the gripe some have. It's still Opeth, until they release a bubble-gum Swedish pop album or a Euro Dubbstep abortion.

Dubbstep Abortion... need to jot that down for a song idea.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I was with you on the "they took a worse direction than St Anger" thing until you drew the line after D1/D2? They didn't change styles drastically till after GR at the earliest. And I'd say after Watershed is the much bigger line, that one at least had a couple halfhearted songs that sounded like they'd whipped them up in a hurry to keep their old fans happy (ex Heir Apparent).

This new song is like the last album, I thought "hey that section's cool" a couple times, "hey this almost sounds like Opeth" a couple times, and will almost definitely never get an urge to listen to it again until I end up buying the album and listening to it probably once. I'm a mark.

It sounded too much like Immigrant Song for a while also!

Sorry, what I really meant was that out of D1 and D2 I only like Damnation, even though there is no heavy singing on it, it still felt like sad/cold/swedish Opeth, it didn't sound like King Crimson and Yes like all this other crap.

I didn't like GR or Watrershed really just lost me all together.

But I'm not saying that I'll never listen to it, just that its a bummer.