[Opinion] On the Ibanez RG920QMZ

• Thread starter Shintaro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I ve been thinking about buying one of these jewels, but i'd like to hear your opinion about her

How is the sound? The construction? Solid buy? Use on live rigs?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
I play for a band and i felt i indeed needed an upgrade.
For 769 euro, do you think it would be a good deal? Does it have that "ibanez sound" that is so caracteristic on distortion?

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
If by "Ibanez sound" you mean "would really sound just a bit better with aftermarket pickups" then yes, it nails it.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
I mean that high gain sound that ibanez are usually used to give xD

And yeah, later on shes gonna get them replaced, so overall u guys thinks its a good purchase?

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
They're great guitars. I had mine for almost a year before upgrading but they're definitely worth every penny! They almost feel like entry prestige level ibanezes.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
They're incredible, and they can be had for excellent prices on the second hand market. The Prestige Instruments are a level above, but the Premiums don't miss a beat in their production and overall quality. I've owned 2 for an extensive amount of time and they were perfect, even the stock pickups sounded great for how much the guitar actually costs.

If you're playing in a band setting and gigging theres honestly not much out there that can compete. Get the hardtail if you're going to be playing in different tunings, and the trem if you like using trems, the Edge Zero 2 is honestly as good as the Prestige Edge Zero also.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I ended up selling mine. I don't like the edge zero. The guitar sounded ok with the stock pups. I decided instead of changing them to just sell it.

DarthV

Reaction score
One thing to remember, you should easily be able to find a used Prestige for less than the new price of a premium. I have no idea what the used market in your area is like, so YMMV. And I've tried a few premiums and they felt really good and seemed to be very well made and finished. The new Edge Zero + ZPS bridge is very good for tuning stability, specially if you're doing double bends etc etc, but they feel quite stiff compared to a lo pro edge or edge pro.

As for pickups, if they are the same IBZ that Ibanez use in the rg25xx prestige guitars, they aren't half bad. But it really depends on what tones you're shooting for. The IBZs in my rg2550e work great for older Metallica and Iron Maiden ;)

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Hey, the used market on my area is really bad. It's really hard to find guitar players in the zone I live, and the ones I Know, play some crappy squier strats, or low level guitars.

I want to step up my play, and since I have the chance to get a premium (i'm just 17 years old, so my parents are going to pay for the guitar, so i couldn't get a prestige, too expensive)

So yeah, Maybe i'll switch the pickups later on, and as far as the sound goes, i'm looking for a sound like this:

Or something near, ya know, that great clean distorted sound.

I play mostly melodic metal / rock and I like to make covers using the guitar to make the song's "voice", instead of singing it.

Sorry if my english is kinda messy, but I hope my idea gets through to you guys! You're awesome!

Alphanumeric

Reaction score
Just ordered the maple fretboard one, rg920mqmz

Lets see if it beats my prestige 2120z in my avatar.

I also own an rg721rw premium, and that beats the .... out of the rgd for playability, not for tone though, and neither of those beat the rga121 for tone/playability. This comes stock with those swanky unbranded dimarzio/ibz's, rumour has it they are similar to an evo bridge and pafpro neck.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Are you the one who bought mine? I can't remember.

I have a 1520 with the ibz, and it sounds really good. My 921 (not a bad guitar) will get some new pups someday.......if I keep it (snicker)

Just make sure that you double check everything and that you don't fall for the "honeymoon" I seemed to notice things as time went on.

One other thing, I've had to DIY the fret edges on EVERY SINGLE premium I've had. Luckily, stu mac sells a wonderful little cheap edge filer that has been a joy to use so it's been no problem, but if they odds are I've had to do it to now 4 different axes, then it's not simply bad luck :lol:

Edika

Reaction score
I tried a RG820qm in a music store. I didn't plug it in but it wouldn't matter in this case since those have the Ibanez pickups that the 920 doesn't have. While it looked really nice it didn't feel as nice, to me at least. Something on the neck didn't feel that nice. It played easier than some of the other guitars I tried but I wouldn't compare it to a prestige and surely not my prestige. Price wise I think it's ok and it may have been the model I tried, but if you can find a used prestige in the same price range go with that.
The Dimarzio/IBZ pickups are quite good. I have them in my prestige and I don't feel the need to change them for the time being. They do give you the Ibanez sound. The only complain I have with the bridge pup is that the slide noises you hear when changing chords or playing fast up the neck are too loud and very easily produced. That might be wonky technique from my part but it's the first guitar I play that it's so evident.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Thanks for the continuos answers guys! I've already ordered the RG920QMZ, should be arriving in some days!

From what i've read in here, and seen on youtube, It looks like a really good guitar!

I know it might not be a prestige, but this is my 2nd guitar! I've only played, for 2-3 years on my Squier Strat (from starter packs, gosh, it sucks hard xD) And on a borrowed JP6 from my Music Teacher.

The JP6 is so wonderful, but its really out of my price range, it's also beautiful, that "purple/wine red" color.

Anyways, I think I'll enjoy this guitar, is there any way to turn it into a more "prestige" ibanez, by like, switching the pick ups later or so?

Thanks.

*I'm really noob in hardware modding on guitars and so on, I'll definitely test some things on my squier later on, like changing pick ups, recoloring it, etc*

By the way, does anyone know if Inlay stickers can do warm to your guitar?

Thanks guys, you rock! *pun intended*

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
JP's are great, but sadly in most places outside of the US the prices are just unreasonable. If you can ever find a second hand one in good condition, jump on it.

Also, it won't really bring it up to Prestige standards, the main difference is just in overall build quality, attention to detail, and better tonewoods. And when Prestiges have Flame/Quilt tops it's usually not a veneer like on the Premiums, but an actual top. Not to turn you off from the Premiums, I hold those in very high regard and they're pretty close to what a Prestige should sound and feel like.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Yeah, cash is short atm, and I really need a new guitar, So I'll stick with the Premium.

I just don't know why I really don't find many reviews or info in the internet about the RG920. Kinda weird

edsped

Reaction score
The Premiums are great, I have a blue RG920QMZ and a yellow RG1XXV. I played a red 920QMZ at Guitar Center to try and get a feel for one before I ordered one and it felt like crap, which wasn't too surprising given it was a floor model at GC. I went ahead and ordered the blue one (which was a blem model) and it felt great when I got it. I wouldn't pay full price for one but they are nice guitars, and nice looking.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Premiums are in that odd place where they're pretty good but not used Prestige or 90's Fujigen good.

All boils down to: Do you want to hunt for a used guitar in decent shape or do you want to buy something new off the shelf?

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Well, I was looking for something new, since it's like, my 1st real guitar, I rather have everything new and set up straight to go.

Anyways, I think it will be a SUPER HYPER MEGA JUMP from my crappy Squier SE Strat from that pack xD

Ain't I right?

teamSKDM

Reaction score
listen man, buying new in many cases is nothing more than a mentality. i think you should do whats best and get the best guitar you can get with the money you have, regardlss of if its new or used. as long as its in good condition. an off the shelf new at guitar center can be worse than guitars people have owned for years. your best bet is to get a good condition japanese ibanez (prestige, or pre prestige like early 90's stuff, they were made in the same factories) and also, the guy in the video you posted is playing emg's so youll probably like them in whichever guitar it is you do decide on getting!

also, new guitars dont come set up and ready to go, you have to pay to get a new guitar set up and ready to go. a used guitar in most cases have already been set up.