[Opinion] On the Ibanez RG920QMZ

• Thread starter Shintaro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Well, as I've said, the used market on my area/country SUCKS BALLS.

Like, it really sucks, you have no organized stuff over here. You have a couple used websites, but nothing good ever pops up there.

Plus, i've been wanting an ibanez since i've started playing guitar.

Anyways, finding a japanese prestige in here would be like finding a needle in a hay stack, pretty much 0,00001%, and even if I did find one, it would probably cost me my eyes and balls xD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alphanumeric

Reaction score
Are you the one who bought mine? I can't remember.

One other thing, I've had to DIY the fret edges on EVERY SINGLE premium I've had. Luckily, stu mac sells a wonderful little cheap edge filer that has been a joy to use so it's been no problem, but if they odds are I've had to do it to now 4 different axes, then it's not simply bad luck :lol:

Nah haha

And yeah within 20 seconds of playing the guitar I can tell whether I will like it, If I feel that its plays better/responds better to rhythmic playing I know I will not keep it.

And yes this is a somewhat true for me, my premium compared to 2 prestiges has the most square fret edges, they aren't as bad as the pics from that limited edition one in that other thread, they aren't so bad something needs to be done, I also kind of see it as an advantage as it keeps my fretting hand more stable (short fingers big hand) for wide vibrato with my strings, which are elixirs so are suuupper slippy.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Well, thanks guys for the answers!

I already ordered the 920QMZ, just another question, this model is USA only from what I've read, is that right?

By the way, what gig case does it include? In some videos it brings a soft case, like an acoustic guitar case, in others, i've seen them bringing a super cool "Premium Ibanez Gig Case" that looks like foam in the exterior and a hard case on the inside.

Care to enlight me?

Chasethebreather

Reaction score
When I first signed on with ibanez, they offered me premiums exclusively. I was weary since I'd always played Prestiges only. However, when I got them, I found out quickly that they were no joke. I've completed about 7 full US and overseas tours with my blue 920 and it has NEVER let me down. Sounds great and even though I'll be honest in saying, they do feel "cheaper" than a prestige in the hands, it performs as well as the latter. For sub 1k, you really can't go wrong with them.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Well, It's good to know that i've made the right choice!

Now, I should do a little unboxing video when she arrives!
And a review probably.

Anyways, my last questions, can you stick any kind of humbuckers into any kind of H-H guitar?

For example, switch the dimarzio's for EMG's and so on?

And another question:

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A GUITAR SETUP?

Remember, i've only played a squier strat cheap for 2 years, even though my technique and playing is really good, my knowledge on the hardware and things like that are 0.

I'd love to know alot more about it though, could u guys explain me?

Alphanumeric

Reaction score
Mine came,

first impression is that it somehow feels smaller than my other ibanez's, of course the RGD is bigger, the RGA bodies are known as chunkier, but its the same as my 721rw, maybe the edge zero busies up the body.

20 seconds of playing, this is by far the most effortless playing Ibanez I own, better than the 721rw premium, better than the RGD, even better than the 121. The fret work is excellent, as good as my prestiges, the maple neck itself is beaut, was worried it would be too bright and white/yellow looking, its very woody looking, natural, though, and has these cool flourish grains across. Neck is the smoothest I've played, even with the factory set up with half dead strings and medium action.

The top and finish are stunning, the general aesthetic is extremely suave. The 'dimarzio' pups that come with it are by FAR the best stock Ibanez I've tried, especially for lead and clean tones, I'm definitely not thinking of replacing them. The rhythm sounds are OK, not quite as "metal" and thick, grinding, as the V7/V8's you get stock in my prestiges.

Basically the guitar is easy to play, sounds great and looks great.

9/10.

Pics soon. Waiting on a card for my 260hs.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Thank you very much!

Does anyone know the answer to my other questions? xD

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Anyways, my last questions, can you stick any kind of humbuckers into any kind of H-H guitar?

For example, switch the dimarzio's for EMG's and so on?

And another question:

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A GUITAR SETUP?

1. Yes you can! Some pickups are larger than others, so what most people do is take it to a professional so they can "Route" or make more space for the larger pickup. This happens with covered Pickups most of the time, an EMG might be a tight fit but a small routing isn't unheard of. Also just check the spacing, my Premium took F-Spaced Pickups, it's an option when you order a pickup from a company like Dimarzio or BKP. You can pick a certain spacing so that the strings go directly over the pole pieces.

2. A setup is taking the strings off that thing and showing it some love! Oiling the fretboard, cleaning out all the gunk, polishing the frets, putting strings back on, setting the action/getting rid of buzz. It's basically getting the guitar playing as best as it possibly can. It's a very simple process, one you can do yourself but most people are afraid to handle the truss rod themselves so they take it to a professional and pay them to do all this work for them.

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the awesome reply!

So, Do you think I should give some love to my new premium right away? Or test it first? :p

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the awesome reply!

So, Do you think I should give some love to my new premium right away? Or test it first? :p

It should be fine right out of the box, the newer ones I've tested at local stores right out of the box feel amazing. The only thing I'd do is see if the Fretboard is dry and oil it and condition it, you'll likely not need anything else unless you're using heavier strings/different tunings. But no you should totally be fine! Can't wait to see your NGD :)

Shintaro

Soul Eater Evans
Reaction score
I see. Since im kinda new here what does NGD stand for? NEW GUITAR DAY? XD

Its nice to see ive made the right choice on going for the 920. I'll probably make an unboxing, testing and review of the 920 too, and then post it on fhe new thread